Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexanderT
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by dethfire
    mmm facebook? the number of people not running js is incredibley small, give it up
    See my post two above. Facebook does work without Javascript to the extend that you can still perform key tasks. When you visit Facebook without Javascript, you'll be greeted with, "For a better experience on Facebook, enable JavaScript in your browser, or switch to our mobile site." But it does work.

Like I said there are various reasons why people might not have access to Javascript. Blind people who rely on screen readers are one example.

There is absolutely no reason why IB decided to ajaxify literally everything. There are plenty of resources that tell you when and how to use Ajax. It seems someone didn't bother to study these resources...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Solitaire
      I dont think the issue is whether or not to have the option of a js off switch, but rather get the number of queries per page down. Why does it have to load all the content and then hide it no matter what tab you click on?
      I understand this is going to be changed... 1) the default tab information should be pulled. 2) tab information cached for the page so it isn't reloaded every switch.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Solitaire
        • Oct 2010
        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        I understand this is going to be changed... 1) the default tab information should be pulled. 2) tab information cached for the page so it isn't reloaded every switch.
        Once this is changed that would be a huge step in the right direction and would probably limit the cries for a js off switch.
        Vote for my suggestions here and here

Comment

• alex2k5
          • Feb 2007
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Solitaire
          Once this is changed that would be a huge step in the right direction and would probably limit the cries for a js off switch.
          Personally for me, it's not. I expected/assumed the load and wait times will be addressed before launch compared to now, regardless of delivery method. I am more concerned with SEO, reading of pages by engines etc, and secondarily, consistent experience across browsers. Unless those things are specifically mapped out and explained in detail pre-launch, my personal view of the situation won't change.

Comment

• Stallyon
            • Mar 2005
            • 4.2.X

The place I work for still uses Internet Explorer 6
            A computer without Microsoft Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
            vBulletin user since March 2004, joined forum a year later, migration from vBulletin began April 2013. After 6 years of negativity, even old die-hard fans lose faith.

Comment

• Andy
              • Jan 2002
              • 4.1.x

Personally I really dislike pages loaded by AJAX because it breaks the back button and is very confusing to users. For example:

1) go to this page http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/forum
              2) click Main Forum
              3) go to page 2
              4) now click the back button, you're now back at the forum page, not back at page 1 as expected

Comment

• pokesph
                • Apr 2003

Here is another BIG BOARD vote for MUCH LESS javascript and for almost none on the home page without some sort of fallback. Menus, QR,a nd maybe notices is really all that needs to be ajax'd as far as pages go, IMO.

I don't like the idea of offloading my site's processing to my visitors as well and would much prefer my expensive servers to do the job we purchased them for.
                Steve, Webmaster and Admin
                www.pokecommunity.com

Comment

• AlexanderT
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Andy
                  Personally I really dislike pages loaded by AJAX because it breaks the back button and is very confusing to users.
                  This was a problem initially when AJAX became more widely used; but there are solutions to fix the back button in Javascript. Not used here though.

Comment

• Stallyon
                    • Mar 2005
                    • 4.2.X

I think the "Working" banner should be more centralised and a little larger, because people might think the page is not working and exit the site before the 5 or so seconds the page takes to load is up.
                    vBulletin user since March 2004, joined forum a year later, migration from vBulletin began April 2013. After 6 years of negativity, even old die-hard fans lose faith.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Stallyon
                      I think the "Working" banner should be more centralised and a little larger, because people might think the page is not working and exit the site before the 5 or so seconds the page takes to load is up.
                      Well the goal is that isn't there for 5 seconds. However you're more than welcome to enter an improvement request in JIRA.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Stallyon
                        • Mar 2005
                        • 4.2.X

I've also found sometimes you must refresh a few times after you post for it to appear.

Comment

• pokesph
                          • Apr 2003

its horrible and bloated too.

WAY too much use of javascript and its killing the whole site experience.
                          Steve, Webmaster and Admin
                          www.pokecommunity.com

Comment

• rmwebs
                            • Nov 2005
                            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                            The internet in 2012 is very much a dhtml/ajax/javascript world. Most popular applications online no longer have any level of non js fallback. It has nothing to do with the level of experience developers have.
                            Originally posted by rmwebs
                            Point me to three...no...two 'popular applications' (i.e paid applications with a large following) that no longer have any level of non js fallback.
                            Still waiting Zachery...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Threads merged. We do not need multiple threads about the same topic.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Paul K
                                • Jun 2010

I will not buy/use vB5 before vB and/or mod developer makes sure you can navigate the site without javascript. This is still a very essential thing.

Comment