X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoHighVoltage
    • Dec 2010
    • 4.2.x

Am I missing something?

Hello all. I checked out the VB5 demo, and I feel like there is a ton of stuff missing? It doesn't look or feel like a forum.

VB4 looks, feels and functions like a forum, blog, etc.

Does anyone else feel the same?
  • Retal
    • Nov 2006
    • 3.8.x

Yes. VB5 is a catastrophe. Slow, barebone, with some crucial decisions made horribly wrong (changed URLs after upgrade, jumping content on every page load).

No way we're ever going to upgrade. Our users would eat us alive.
    Be considerate to your users. Open links in the same window.

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
      • Dec 2010
      • 4.2.x

I am not trying to be negative either, but, VB4 is good, I like it, but VB4 has a ton of unfixed bugs and problems. You would think the focus would be on fixing all the VB4 bugs before attempting to release a whole new version?
      Get the CMS fixed in VB4 that many feel is poor first as well?

- - - Updated - - -

I will keep playing with the demo, maybe I am missing the way it works?

Comment

• captainslater
        • Jun 2006

If you have questions feel free to post them in the appropriate forums so we could help you out.
        To infinity and beyond!
        Deutschsprachige vBulletin News & Tipps
        captainslater
        - Eine vBulletin Cloud-Site

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by GoHighVoltage
          I am not trying to be negative either, but, VB4 is good,
          Yes,compared to vB5, vB4 is very good.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• lovefords
            • Nov 2008

I think vB5 acts clunky like a 1962 Oldsmobile with transmission problems. It seems like it is holding/searching for information or script then all of a sudden it jerks into action, pauses, starts, then I get an error message, etc. I know the appearance can be changed but I kind of wonder why vB released it even in beta looking the way it does. They must produce an admincp demo before I would buy. Very disappointing. Especially after the latest very good improvements to vB4.
            You can pay more...but you can't buy better than the Ford.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

The demo is very barebones. It is what a new install looks like. We realize this was a mistake. We are working to add new modules, content and other changes to showcase what vBulletin 5 Connect can really do. Stay tuned.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Jan Klerks
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                We realize this was a mistake.
                I'm all for admitting mistakes and forgiving, but anyone with a brain the size of a peanut could have guessed that presenting and even selling a working mock-up would provoke the response you see now, especially with that history you got. Don't you guys learn anything?

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Jan Klerks
                  I'm all for admitting mistakes and forgiving, but anyone with a brain the size of a peanut could have guessed that presenting and even selling a working mock-up would provoke the response you see now, especially with that history you got. Don't you guys learn anything?
                  It's not a mockup. It's an actual installation, same as a paying customer would get if they downloaded and installed the product.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Lizard King
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                    It's not a mockup. It's an actual installation, same as a paying customer would get if they downloaded and installed the product.
                    Of course every company is different , though within companies i work , we value Quality and User Exprience more than anything. That's why if QA don't pass a version , our managers never chooses to rush any version even if they could make more money. As quick cash grab can make you rich for one day but for long run you'll surely loose.
                    Last edited by Lizard King; Thu 13 Sep '12, 11:44pm.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Lizard King
                      Oc course every company is different , though within companies i work , we value Quality and User Exprience more than anything. That's why if QA don't pass a version , our managers never chooses to rush any version even if they could make more money. As quick cash grab can make you rich for one day but for long run you'll surely loose.
                      Not defending either approach. I'm just saying, that's the way it sometimes is.

Can't speak for Internet Brands, but where I work, the problem is that whilst it would be nice to wait for months while developers beaver away creating perfect software, the harsh reality is that companies need cashflow or they go bust.

So where I work, management have to very much balance the two.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Lizard King
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2004
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                        Not defending either approach. I'm just saying, that's the way it sometimes is.

Can't speak for Internet Brands, but where I work, the problem is that whilst it would be nice to wait for months while developers beaver away creating perfect software, the harsh reality is that companies need cashflow or they go bust.

So where I work, management have to very much balance the two.
                        I am sorry Mark but why do you have to wait developers for months ? If the project is planned right max expected delay from dev teams is 2-3 week. Any longer period is not accepted for us and any dev who is causing that much delay is not the right person for the job imo.

Comment

• sadiq6210
                          • Jun 2004
                          • 3.6.x

The demo is very barebones. It is what a new install looks like. We realize this was a mistake. We are working to add new modules, content and other changes to showcase what vBulletin 5 Connect can really do. Stay tuned.
                          It is better also to add more channels / forums / categories
                          Signature test :)

Comment

• rmwebs
                            • Nov 2005
                            • 3.7.x

You really dont get 'it' do you?

Its not about slapping some more features on the thing. You need to start over. The ajax interface (if it can even be called that) is a mess. What fool thought it would be a good idea to 'fake' the ajax loading and then hide the content for a couple of seconds, to give the impression it was being loaded dynamically.

If you throw a few new modules on there it'll be the same pig with lipstick on it, but a bit fatter.

Comment

• beishe8
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Lizard King
                              any dev who is causing that much delay is not the right person for the job imo.
                              If you pay peanuts, you get...

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment