Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I missing something?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Am I missing something?

    Hello all. I checked out the VB5 demo, and I feel like there is a ton of stuff missing? It doesn't look or feel like a forum.

    VB4 looks, feels and functions like a forum, blog, etc.

    Does anyone else feel the same?

  • #2
    Yes. VB5 is a catastrophe. Slow, barebone, with some crucial decisions made horribly wrong (changed URLs after upgrade, jumping content on every page load).

    No way we're ever going to upgrade. Our users would eat us alive.
    Be considerate to your users. Open links in the same window.

    Comment


    • #3
      I am not trying to be negative either, but, VB4 is good, I like it, but VB4 has a ton of unfixed bugs and problems. You would think the focus would be on fixing all the VB4 bugs before attempting to release a whole new version?
      Get the CMS fixed in VB4 that many feel is poor first as well?

      - - - Updated - - -

      I will keep playing with the demo, maybe I am missing the way it works?

      Comment


      • #4
        If you have questions feel free to post them in the appropriate forums so we could help you out.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GoHighVoltage View Post
          I am not trying to be negative either, but, VB4 is good,
          Yes,compared to vB5, vB4 is very good.


          vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

          Comment


          • #6
            I think vB5 acts clunky like a 1962 Oldsmobile with transmission problems. It seems like it is holding/searching for information or script then all of a sudden it jerks into action, pauses, starts, then I get an error message, etc. I know the appearance can be changed but I kind of wonder why vB released it even in beta looking the way it does. They must produce an admincp demo before I would buy. Very disappointing. Especially after the latest very good improvements to vB4.
            You can pay more...but you can't buy better than the Ford.

            Comment


            • #7
              The demo is very barebones. It is what a new install looks like. We realize this was a mistake. We are working to add new modules, content and other changes to showcase what vBulletin 5 Connect can really do. Stay tuned.
              Translations provided by Google.

              Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                We realize this was a mistake.
                I'm all for admitting mistakes and forgiving, but anyone with a brain the size of a peanut could have guessed that presenting and even selling a working mock-up would provoke the response you see now, especially with that history you got. Don't you guys learn anything?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jan Klerks View Post
                  I'm all for admitting mistakes and forgiving, but anyone with a brain the size of a peanut could have guessed that presenting and even selling a working mock-up would provoke the response you see now, especially with that history you got. Don't you guys learn anything?
                  It's not a mockup. It's an actual installation, same as a paying customer would get if they downloaded and installed the product.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                  TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                    It's not a mockup. It's an actual installation, same as a paying customer would get if they downloaded and installed the product.
                    Of course every company is different , though within companies i work , we value Quality and User Exprience more than anything. That's why if QA don't pass a version , our managers never chooses to rush any version even if they could make more money. As quick cash grab can make you rich for one day but for long run you'll surely loose.
                    Last edited by Lizard King; Thu 13th Sep '12, 11:44pm.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lizard King View Post
                      Oc course every company is different , though within companies i work , we value Quality and User Exprience more than anything. That's why if QA don't pass a version , our managers never chooses to rush any version even if they could make more money. As quick cash grab can make you rich for one day but for long run you'll surely loose.
                      Not defending either approach. I'm just saying, that's the way it sometimes is.

                      Can't speak for Internet Brands, but where I work, the problem is that whilst it would be nice to wait for months while developers beaver away creating perfect software, the harsh reality is that companies need cashflow or they go bust.

                      So where I work, management have to very much balance the two.
                      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                      TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
                      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                        Not defending either approach. I'm just saying, that's the way it sometimes is.

                        Can't speak for Internet Brands, but where I work, the problem is that whilst it would be nice to wait for months while developers beaver away creating perfect software, the harsh reality is that companies need cashflow or they go bust.

                        So where I work, management have to very much balance the two.
                        I am sorry Mark but why do you have to wait developers for months ? If the project is planned right max expected delay from dev teams is 2-3 week. Any longer period is not accepted for us and any dev who is causing that much delay is not the right person for the job imo.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                          The demo is very barebones. It is what a new install looks like. We realize this was a mistake. We are working to add new modules, content and other changes to showcase what vBulletin 5 Connect can really do. Stay tuned.
                          It is better also to add more channels / forums / categories
                          Signature test :)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                            The demo is very barebones. It is what a new install looks like. We realize this was a mistake. We are working to add new modules, content and other changes to showcase what vBulletin 5 Connect can really do. Stay tuned.
                            You really dont get 'it' do you?

                            Its not about slapping some more features on the thing. You need to start over. The ajax interface (if it can even be called that) is a mess. What fool thought it would be a good idea to 'fake' the ajax loading and then hide the content for a couple of seconds, to give the impression it was being loaded dynamically.

                            If you throw a few new modules on there it'll be the same pig with lipstick on it, but a bit fatter.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lizard King View Post
                              any dev who is causing that much delay is not the right person for the job imo.
                              If you pay peanuts, you get...


                              vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X