• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmwebs
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.7.x

vB5 - a bug ridden mess!

Ok,

I'm posting this here as apparent bugs prevent me posting it on the demo.

I've registered on the demo. However go to log in, only to be logged out again the second the page refreshes.

There are also some hugely noticeable bugs that would have been spotted in seconds if any kind of QA was done!

1. As a non-logged in user, on a poll that I tried to reply to, I got this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-12 at 22.55.40.png
Views:	1
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	3724669

As you will see, I do have an option selected on the poll. FYI the total page load time was 94 seconds according to Google Chrome's inspector tool. This was on a 100mbps broadband connection.

2. I logged in (and this was the first time I logged in after registering - which seemingly did keep me logged in for this first page load) and at the bottom of the thread, I see a permissions error:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-12 at 22.56.50.png
Views:	1
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	3724670

I'm logged in - why am I not allowed to view the page? Why are you showing me this message AFTER you've already loaded the page up?

3. Stupid broken ajax preloading. When you load a forum or a thread, it loads all the contents up with little to no style, all mashed against the side of the page. It then vanishes, and a 'loading' box shows at the top, then everything reappears in its correct place.

I could understand if you were actually using ajax to fetch the content after the page loaded, but you aren't. You're hiding the content AFTER it is loaded, then setting a delay and showing it again with the correct styling....why the hell would anyone ever do this?

I seriously hope the demo is not actually a copy of the beta - if it is then there are some MAJOR issues here. This is alpha grade stuff.

If you are actually paying a QA team, fire them. I spent around 2 minutes on the system and found these issues. I've not gone back to it because its hellishly slow.

Really poor first impression of vB5 here. Certainly worse than 4.0.0 was!
  • AlexanderT
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by rmwebs
    I could understand if you were actually using ajax to fetch the content after the page loaded, but you aren't. You're hiding the content AFTER it is loaded, then setting a delay and showing it again with the correct styling....why the hell would anyone ever do this?
    Ahhh, that's what it is. I was wondering about it, too.

Comment

• Deimos
      • Oct 2002
      • 3.8.x

It does come across as a very amateur job, but so did the CMS...the same team worked on both, so is it any surprise?

I Was actually mildly optimistic that VB5 would be different, but if anything, it looks/feels/acts worse.

Most powerful community software indeed! lol

Comment

• Joe Blow
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.6.x

vB5 is much, much worse than vB4.0.0. It is an embarrassing mess.

Internet Brands, vBulletin Solutions - whatever the hell they are called these days - is obviously bleeding cash due to poor sales of vB4 and a certain lawsuit that must also be sucking a lot of cash out the door. As a result vB5 is being released early as a vB4 style cash grab.

History is going to repeat itself unless the vB5 release is held off until 2013. Surely, after the damage that was done to the brand back in 2009 with the broken promises and the colossal mess that was vB4.0.0, they couldn't make the same mistake again? Nobody could be that stupid, could they?

Comment

• TheSonic
          • Sep 2002

It's not ready yet, we are on Beta.

There are many great features, the SiteBuilder is great and innovative.

There are too many changes in the vb5-code, so if you are worried, wait until the Final. Betaversions are there to figure out bugs
          Greets,
          TheSonic

Comment

• AlexanderT
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by TheSonic
            Betaversions are there to figure out bugs
            Alright, but then, what version is there to figure out bad design decisions?

Comment

• TheSonic
              • Sep 2002

Styles are always a matter of taste. I like it.

You are free to use a custom style that meets your needs (i am sure you will find many of them soon).

This discussion is somehow always in new versions - no matter what software
              Greets,
              TheSonic

Comment

• AlexanderT
                • Mar 2003

Styles are always matter of taste. I like it.

You are free to use a custom style that meets your needs (i am sure you will find many of them soon).
                Wasn't referring to style.

Comment

• TheSonic
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                  bad design decisions?
                  What do you mean exactly? If it is the code -> We are on a Beta :-)
                  Greets,
                  TheSonic

Comment

• AlexanderT
                    • Mar 2003

What do you mean exactly? If it is the code -> We are on a Beta :-)
                    No I wasn't talking about the code either.

Bad design decisions refers to the failure of the developers to go through all the steps of the design process (user research, card sorting, paper prototypes, wireframes, usability testing, etc).

Comment

• Solitaire
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 4.0.x

Originally posted by rmwebs
                      Exactly what I was thinking. It doesn't make sense for it to behave like that.

There are too many changes in the vb5-code, so if you are worried, wait until the Final. Betaversions are there to figure out bugs
                      yes to figure out bugs, but this beta is devoid of many features that you would expect in the core version. ie Infractions. Between Betas and Official release one does not expect new features to be added. This should really be labeled an alpha, and probably shouldn't have been released to the public the way it was. At the least, this should have been a closed beta.
                      Vote for my suggestions here and here

Comment

• ascott
                        • May 2009
                        • 4.2.X

There's plenty time yet for this to get sorted out. It's just a beta at the moment and no doubt will be updated ASAP when features, etc become available.
                        If you like what you see just now then put your bucks down, if not, then wait and see what happens or move on to the software of your choice.

Lets give vB all the constructive feedback we can so the product we all have invested in becomes the envy of all the forum communities.
                        Canon Fodder Forums

Comment

• ShyGuy82
                          • Feb 2007

ascott, usually Betas only get bug fixes for the release, not new features.
                          Speed up your member list page by at least 5x (4.x.x)

http://nicknameregister.com/files/20...0/ShyGuy82.jpg

Comment

• Sador
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 3.8.x

I've heard all these arguments before, when vB4 got released.

Back then, the community made the same sort of sounds during the beta, and it got released with only minor changes at best as "gold product".

Let's just wait it out until the final release, before making any comments on changes likely to come.
                            When the meteor came crashing to Earth, I bet the dinosaurs were roaring at it in the hope of scaring it away. That didn’t work out so well for them. - Matt.

Comment

• slinky
                              • Mar 2001
                              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Sador
                              I've heard all these arguments before, when vB4 got released.
                              Back then, the community made the same sort of sounds during the beta, and it got released with only minor changes at best as "gold product".
                              Let's just wait it out until the final release, before making any comments on changes likely to come.
                              You could say that but this release is being sold. Usually you don't sell what is less than a "release candidate" and I'm not sure why or how you could do so without at least finalizing what the product is. For example, if you buy vB 5 today, what features are you going to receive? What might not be included? I think that once you make a decision to sell a product the buyer needs to know what he/she is getting for the money he/she is paying.
                              My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment