X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You will probably never see a X.9 release of any version. What if we had named 3.5 as 4.0? 3.7 had enough feature additions that we could have called it 5.0.

Version number has nothing to do with the life of the software or whether it is done or not.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Version number has nothing to do with the life of the software or whether it is done or not.
      That's true, it doesn't even seem like we'll see version 4.2.1. They could go to vBulletin Connect 5 "Gold" tomorrow due to a management decision. It wouldn't mean anything. They did that with vb4!

Comment

• th3gr3aton3
        • Oct 2009

Consider that vBulletin has not switched the forum we are on over to vB5. This in itself tells you they understand the condition it is in. I imagine they wanted more feedback than they were getting and this is a way of doing it.

Comment

• Solitaire
          • Oct 2010
          • 4.0.x

Originally posted by th3gr3aton3
          Consider that vBulletin has not switched the forum we are on over to vB5. This in itself tells you they understand the condition it is in. I imagine they wanted more feedback than they were getting and this is a way of doing it.
          They've already stated its not production ready. Anyone who didn't get that deserves the headache they will have from putting it on a live production site.

The fact that it isn't on this site would only mean something if they were selling it as production ready and telling people, "Yea sure, go ahead and install it on your live forum"
          Vote for my suggestions here and here

Comment

• th3gr3aton3
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Solitaire
            They've already stated its not production ready. Anyone who didn't get that deserves the headache they will have from putting it on a live production site.

The fact that it isn't on this site would only mean something if they were selling it as production ready and telling people, "Yea sure, go ahead and install it on your live forum"
            That is what I said...

Comment

• Solitaire
              • Oct 2010
              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by th3gr3aton3
              That is what I said...
              My bad then...I thought you meant that by it not being on this site, that this was some hidden meaning to their true feelings on the state of vb5, when they've already stated as much
              Vote for my suggestions here and here

Comment

• HenrikHansen
                • Jul 2004
                • 3.8.x

No, apparently not
                Last edited by HenrikHansen; Fri 14 Sep '12, 9:40pm.
                Europanet.dk

Comment

• gfc
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by HenrikHansen

No, apparently not
                  And exactly this is the reason that the pricing based on versions is so f***** wrong.
                  parkrocker.net - The Rock im Park Festival Community

Comment

• Sador
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Yet we have to pay according to the version numbering, regardless of the improvements, changes or lifetime. vB4.x isn't fully finished yet, at least in terms of bugs and issues. vB5.x get sold because of the numbering (if it was called vB4.3 you couldn't have sold it to us due to the vB4 license). Seems opposite of what you say, to me at least.
                    When the meteor came crashing to Earth, I bet the dinosaurs were roaring at it in the hope of scaring it away. That didn’t work out so well for them. - Matt.

Comment

• Mondy
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 3.6.x

So, within both the context and content of this thread, I am probably going controversial by saying that I'll be purchasing vB5 within the next two hours.

Admittedly, I was like most of you skeptical and perhaps too cynical about this version but I now find this and other threads quickly turning into testosterone-filled, nearby juvenile argumentations about anything that could possibly be found wrong with vB5. For the record: the demo doesn't convince me - yet. But I've decided that I need to take leaf out of my own professional books here - which is that I co-manage 6 coding teams across multiple organisations as consultant, and thus know that IT/ICT [whatever you want to call it] it by nature riddled with people who continuously and probably permanently will disagree with each other on what 'best' coding is. To be honest: my own work isn't always perfect either, so bad on me to slag others off for delivering off-par work.

I am going to purchase vB5 because I want to give the dev's a chance, and the only way to do that - I think - is not to hang my hat on a demo but through playing with the product itself. What helped me greatly in my assessment is delving deeply into discussion forums of vB's two main competitors and noticing that not the sun doesn't shine there always there either. I seriously played with the idea of transferring two of my forums over to Invision Power [in fact, had my credit card in hand to complete the transaction] but decided last minute against that. Especially some comments made in the IPB forums stopped me - and made me think twice about vB.

I am by nature not a sentimental person but after reading all vB5 feedback threads and posts this afternoon I couldn't help detecting some resentment toward some of these responses. Going on the proviso that 'you can't make everyone happy - so don't try' I then re-read most of these threads to figure our what's important to me. I concluded that $184 is worth the risk I'll be taking by buying the product, and I am now feeling convinced that doing so is right for many reasons.

Personally - and I don't think this should be made a secret - I thank Wayne and Zach for having the courage to face the torrent of sh*t that came their ways. In return for that courage, Wayne & Zach, know now that I'll be throwing some skin in the game as well by buying it. All I am asking for is to keep the development of vB5 going as to not disappoint me, and to take my feedback, ideas and commentary on how this product could be improved seriously. I know you will - but just so you know...

I'll install vB5 tonight and will have a play with it. Quietly, I am looking forward - which is quite a turn from where I stood two days ago.

I am now off to my Members Area to get this transaction through. Maybe it's foolish - but time will tell.

Just as a belated addendum to this: another thing I want to mention here is that, Zach, you have helped me on a number of occasions with solving what may have been 'odd-ball' solutions to my site-related issues, and did so exceptionally well. Trevor and Lynne have been my preferred first ports of call when I screwed things up, and both of them always helped me out on time, and in full. I want to honour that as well.

nuf said.

Cheers - wish me luck.....

Last edited by Mondy; Sat 15 Sep '12, 12:44am.
                      http://gblcg.com - The Business of Your Future - Strategy Redefined.

Comment

• beishe8
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 4.2.X

Join the club!
                        Good luck!

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Mondy
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by beishe8
                          Join the club!
                          Good luck!
                          Don't know yet what that 'club' is gonna be like, beishe8, but let's just say I am an adventurous person..

Thanks for your 'lucks' nonetheless.

Comment

• beishe8
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mondy
                            Don't know yet what that 'club' is gonna be like, beishe8, but let's just say I am an adventurous person..
                            After vB 5.2 it will be friendly.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• 14DH01
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Sador
                              Yet we have to pay according to the version numbering, regardless of the improvements, changes or lifetime. vB4.x isn't fully finished yet, at least in terms of bugs and issues. vB5.x get sold because of the numbering (if it was called vB4.3 you couldn't have sold it to us due to the vB4 license). Seems opposite of what you say, to me at least.
                              I agree with your comment.
                              "Changing the main code" to make it signifirer upgrade with "Impex" (for me it is like that).
                              Here we say that the CMS will park in the "VB5" for future use.
                              Besides the language file "vb4" is already compatible in the "VB5." Certe not all the words it works.
                              not to mention the blatant resemblance control admin.
                              "Major Modification" I have my doubts.
                              Last edited by 14DH01; Sat 15 Sep '12, 1:32am. Reason: add link
                              my forum Support bug reports please

Comment

• Mondy
                                • Apr 2008
                                • 3.6.x

Guess it's my responsibility and accountability as an administrator of multiple forums to assess what 'friendly' means, beishe8. So rather basing my assessment on what's said here at vB's forums, I'd like to make that assessment first-hand; myself.

This isn't about me - it's about my communities. Transiting over to vB5 from where most of our forums are now, which is 4.2, is a call I must make not to serve my personal interests, gripes or opinions, but one that I intent to make to serve my members best. As I see it, vB4 was in it's inception nothing but a crap product but went through to become a good platform when it reached 4.2. - which is where we are now. Buying vB5 now will keep me first-hand and at-face informed on whether I should transition all my forums to 5 or not. If that moment never comes, we'll stay quite happily on 4.2 until eternity. If, however, vB5 becomes mature and trust-worthy enough to transition to, I'll be doing so straight away while having the opportunity to do so.

Let there be no misunderstanding: the vB devs need to work hard and fast to win my trust and confidence, and me purchasing a vB5 license doesn't necessarily equates to a vote of confidence in either the current vB team or IB generally. What is does instead is helping me assess, as an administrator, whether migration to vB5 is called for and can be justified to my members first-hand - which is, I think, my responsibility to the thousands of members we serve.

If anything, being able to assess vB5's evolution over the next couple of weeks will help me better rationalise whether transition to Xenforo or Invision Power is truly, truly justified. If vB5 doesn't give me that 'Whow!' experience I am looking for in the nearest future, I know I've made that decision to transfer to a competitor as rationally and objectively as I possibly could.

** Sorry for the rave mate - I am perhaps still bit surprised by my decision to go for vB5. But I simply think it's the most responsible thing to do to my communities...**

Comment