X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mondy
    • Apr 2008
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by rudedog1968
    I'm really surprised at how many people have purchased vB5..
    What tells you this, rudedog? Did you find stats on this published somewhere? Would like to know who is and isn't going for vB5..

Honestly, I am still on the fence here. I have a still somewhat underutilized 4.2 forum, which I could possibly switch to vB5 just to give it a chance. What stops me from doing this isn't the technical issues that must clearly be ironed out, but the pricing.

May I make a suggestion here: I've got fairly good ideas on what must change technically and design-wise in vB5 for it to adopt the "Whow!" status I expected. Much of the info that drive my ideas are already mentioned in this thread ad nauseum, so there's little to no point regurgitating them.

What I miss though is tough opinions on pricing. Clearly, those who've taken the vB5 plunge weren't bothered about the price ticket, but there's clearly loads of 'unrest' and discontent about that among the what seems hardcore vB users. My approach to that will simply be based on comparatative analysis between vB and alternatives which, in turn, will drive my decision on whether to stay or go with vB.

Irrespective whether the price is 'right' or wrong, which is of course worth a discussion by itself, the real 'baffle' for me is the discount offered to long-running customers - those who stood by vBulletin for, say, five years or more. The $40 offered amounts to roughly 20% of the new price, which, on paper, seems a reasonable amount - but only for a product that can be trusted as properly functional and as a ready-to-go, out-of-box solution.

Here, I sense, sits the snag that IB's price-setting economists, marketers and accountants may fail to see. Pricing for this version is no longer about adding margins to the product's known and expected landing costs to maintain bottom lines but about retaining and holding onto a what seems dwindling advocacy. It's arguably no longer about replenishing old and disgruntled clients with new customers, but about preserving and maintaining long-term credibility of brand. Of course, I can only fall back on statistics on this that aren't much detailed than what's already known publicly - which, admittedly, is precious little in any case - so I confess to be shooting mostly off-hip here.

Assuming that 'Nill' won't cut much mustard with IB as an appropriate charge for vB5, and $200 is considered too much by the afore mentioned long-running customer group - what, then, should be a more 'satisfying' price and payment arrangement?

The way I interpret vB5 is that it isn't a product yet that warrants a price point that's on-par with what's offered by vB's competitors, chiefly because the latter are complete, fully functional and well-supported turn-key products, which simply isn't what's offered by vB - yet. Investing $200 in vB5 now while hoping that it will eventually give access to a product that does warrant this price point puts all risks on investors - customers - and practically none on IB. That simply is a bizarre way to market a brand, and one that - with all respect to those who purchased vB5 - will only be accepted by those who are perhaps very new to vB, but likely not by those who've lived through vB4.x's chronicles.

While I am not sold on the product yet, I certainly am not sold on the price either. To throw one more perspective in the mix before closing this post, consider $40 discount a value that's earned in less that 30 minutes by even the most average of full-time employed coders. Then consider how much time we, customers, are already spending on feeding what often seem bleedingly-obvious information back to vB to help its development teams produce acceptable software - betting that's more than 30 minutes per 'loyal' client. Combine this with the amount of time we may have to spend on making the product work once purchased, that $40 seems a rather negligible and most unconvincing, uncompelling and nonsense deduction.

Thanks for reading this, if you did. I am attempting to keep things positive and constructive, but for that to last vB may have to throw a bit more of its own skin in the game, at least to keep me as a customer.

http://gblcg.com - The Business of Your Future - Strategy Redefined.

Comment

• gfc
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Ramsesx
      Originally posted by gfc
      If you go to switch the forum software I wouldnt bet on a dead horse. Vb4 wont be developed actively anymore, even they say so. Because with this licencing model there is no interest in doing so.

Research again, xenforo and ipb have both good products and there I see a future. vb is kinda dead. Look at all the comment from today. If you find 1 positive feedback in 100 posts about vb5, I really would be suprised.
      But he bought already two licenses. I'm sure you can use vB4 for the next 2 years without a problem. After that he can make a new decision.
      Sure. But to switch the forum software that often can destroy a community. See most user want get used woth the page. And goung from phpbb to vb to whatever in less then 2-3 years is extremly annoying from a user perspective. Not to mention about google and your pagerank.
      parkrocker.net - The Rock im Park Festival Community

Comment

• audiokid
        • Apr 2009
        • 4.1.x

They have to be going broke. This is too obvious. I have no faith in this company anymore.
        Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
        created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

• AzhriaLilu
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by DFORMS
          Is the support for VB4 really going to end?

Payed with Paypal and I will probably ask for a refund.
          Paypal don't refund on non-physical items.
          I know violence isn't the answer . . . I got it wrong on purpose
          Rep Owners - New forum for reptile owners/lovers
          sigpic

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by gfc
            If you go to switch the forum software I wouldnt bet on a dead horse. Vb4 wont be developed actively anymore, even they say so. Because with this licencing model there is no interest in doing so.

Research again, xenforo and ipb have both good products and there I see a future. vb is kinda dead. Look at all the comment from today. If you find 1 positive feedback in 100 posts about vb5, I really would be suprised.
            vB4 development is not over.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• audiokid
              • Apr 2009
              • 4.1.x

I Just looked at both xenforo and ipb forum software again and its not vb. I still prefer this over them. Oh man I hope its better than what we are seeing.

Anyone else using vb5 right now? Is it that bad? Are there any live sites up where we can actually see the damn thing in action?
              Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
              created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

• AlexanderT
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by audiokid
                I Just looked at both xenforo and ipb forum software again and its not vb. I still prefer this over them. Oh man I hope its better than what we are seeing.
                I like the look of IPB. It's the underlying coding that I am not convinced with. Clean coding and optimization are two important aspects for many long-term forum owners here... I am worried that these are not necessarily the two main features of the current vB 5 beta (although I cannot say much about the PHP coding as I haven't seen the sources; the visible HTML parts are not pretty though).

Comment

• 14DH01
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                  Oh this is so cool!
                  the "VB5" It was a joke.
                  my forum Support bug reports please

Comment

• Hall of Famer
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Well the development of VB3.8 was not over either by the time VB4 just came out, but since then we only had minor upgrades from VB3.8.4 to 3.8.7(since VB3's development cycle is over now, I am guessing we aint getting vb3.8.8 or 3.9 after all). I guess there may be a few more minor releases for VB4.2, will be surprised if they actually develop on VB4.3 and even 4.4.

Comment

• 14DH01
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 4.2.x

they will finish the work already started "vb4.2.1" until the " 4.9.9 alpha3.8.7 béta10".

But for the last update will buy "VB5" because it provide the "vb4 final"
                      Last edited by 14DH01; Thu 13 Sep '12, 10:52pm.
                      my forum Support bug reports please

Comment

• dondino
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by AbruzzoMeteo
                        I made the big mistake to buy it. They're not refunding since i donwloaded it, which it is not making really sense.
                        "Hello,

As per our license agreement, once the software has been downloaded we're unable to offer a refund.

All the best,"
                        it makes perfectly sense instead,
                        next time look at the comments and try the demo and see if you like it first before giving 'blind trust' in just a name/brand, thinking you're making the last deal on earth...
                        let that be a lesson for you, and enjoy your vb5! maybe someday will reach its quality stage, the problem is how much you have to wait

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by iyama
                          Legaly the must refund you.
                          You made a internet buy.
                          With respect, that isn't true at all.

In any event, here is the VERY FIRST THING on the purchase page:

Purchase vBulletin 5 Connect or upgrade your current license
                          We are in the process of advancing to the latest version of our software, vBulletin 5 Connect. This new software is currently in beta. Your vBulletin Connect license gives you the option of deploying this beta or the previous version, vBulletin 4.2. Regardless, your license will let you upgrade to all future releases in the vBulletin 5.x series at no additional cost.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------
                          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Deimos
                            • Oct 2002
                            • 3.8.x

You could probably get a refund through paypal, IF you used a credit card, you'd have to reverse the transaction and explain why to the CC company.

Comment

• Lizard King
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2004
                              • 3.6.x

Paypal will refund you if your claim about the script you purchased is not what it is marketed or the script is not functioning correct. An important thing that should not be missed is no one i know can find out that 125+ new features. So you can make your claim with Paypal using one of the 2 items

Comment

• jdj
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Lizard King
                                Paypal will refund you if your claim about the script you purchased is not what it is marketed or the script is not functioning correct. An important thing that should not be missed is no one i know can find out that 125+ new features. So you can make your claim with Paypal using one of the 2 items
                                vB5 is a beta version. So my expectation of it is that it won't work

When those of us who bought vB4 when it first came out received it that wasn't sold to us as a beta...

It seems to me that what vB are doing now is less misleading that what they did with vB4. At least you know with this one that this one is a beta.

- - - Updated - - -

And who have also abandoned it.

I see you're using forum runner from your iPhone. There's a new branded forum runner on offer in the customer area; is that what you're using? If so, is it good?

Comment