X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alteran Ancient
    • May 2005
    • 3.8.x

I have been a customer of vBulletin (Jelsoft, to be precise) since 2005 - that's about 7 years.

I was hurt a bit when I got pressured into buying vB4 before seeing the goods (was $160 at the time). Eventually, my community grew into it, and by 4.1, my thought was "Well, it could certainly be worse."

Let's move on from the release of vB4 to vB5. I'm being asked to pay $249 to upgrade to an inferior product, and I get a $40 discount for being an existing customer. Thanks.

I much preferred the old pricing model, where I paid for an "Owned" license, and then paid $30 a year for continued support. It was affordable, and it gave you (vBulletin) a reason to continue offering support in the form of tech support and software updates. All this gloss about "upgrading" the software where you're essentially buying the product all over again with a meagre discount; only to have the previous license effectively replaced, feels nothing short of being given the middle finger to me.

vBulletin's competitors seem to operate far simpler licensing models - the arch nemesis bills bi-annually at $25 every 6 months (technically $50 a year), and the budding underdog upgrades annually at $40 a year. Both these competitors have very attractive or promising products, competitive prices and fairer maintenance fees.

Sadly, I most certainly won't be upgrading to vBulletin 5 Connect - I'll stick to what works - vB4.2. If I feel the need to upgrade, I'll jump ship to XF or even IPB. That feeling of a "quality" product just isn't there any more.
    -- David.

If I spend much more time browsing these forums, I could be subjected to: 1. Burnt retinas, 2. Angry customers, 3. Lack of moderation, 4. Arguments.
    This used to be a nice place; what the hell's gone wrong?

Comment

• Ramsesx
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by gfc
      If you go to switch the forum software I wouldnt bet on a dead horse. Vb4 wont be developed actively anymore, even they say so. Because with this licencing model there is no interest in doing so.

Research again, xenforo and ipb have both good products and there I see a future. vb is kinda dead. Look at all the comment from today. If you find 1 positive feedback in 100 posts about vb5, I really would be suprised.
      But he bought already two licenses. I'm sure you can use vB4 for the next 2 years without a problem. After that he can make a new decision.

Comment

• zero477
        • Jan 2012

The screen shots of vB5 make me think that the difference with vb4 is not very substancial. And the upgrade price seems ridiculous. I bought vb4 a month ago, I feel so stupid.

I thought vB4 was going to be the best vBulletin product for at least some years.

Now I feel that I can just wait some months to buy vB6.

Comment

• DFORMS
          • Mar 2011
          • 4.1.x

Is the support for VB4 really going to end?

Payed with Paypal and I will probably ask for a refund.

Comment

• iyama
            • Dec 2009
            • 4.2.X

Its just very easy to make vB on there knees and screaming.

Don't buy or upgrade to vb5!
            In about 5 months the are shaming that the have promised so much but nothing sold!

And the other forum software developers have a great time with new deals.
            Hello XF i have vb, get i a bigger discount if i choose XF?
            Yes you get a discount and support for 3 years.

Boss vb: Sorry vb team, we can't pay your car and paycheck any more.

Last edited by iyama; Thu 13 Sep '12, 1:27pm.
            VB The Next Social Media plugin!
            I don't buy VB5!

Comment

• 14DH01
              • Sep 2010
              • 4.2.x

Originally posted by DFORMS
              Is the support for VB4 really going to end?

so do not lose time for opposition via paypal
              my forum Support bug reports please

Comment

• iyama
                • Dec 2009
                • 4.2.X

At here we have buyers protection at Paypal, just fill that in and ask refund
                Just fill in that you have payed for a beta instead of a realy 100% upgrade product.
                And mail also vb and write a letter for a refund.

And pas paypal this url to look at it.
                Maybe the are blocking further payments to vb.
                I don't buy VB5!

Comment

• DFORMS
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 4.1.x

I emailed VB for a refund and I guess I'll be using 4.2 for now. Anyways, I really don't want to keep being off topic : s

Comment

• 14DH01
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 4.2.x

my friends from vbulletin team made ​​a backup of this forum also expect you to leave the ship before it is too late
                    my forum Support bug reports please

Comment

• craigvm
                      • Aug 2012
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Ramsesx
                      But he bought already two licenses. I'm sure you can use vB4 for the next 2 years without a problem. After that he can make a new decision.
                      he can use it for life the license dont expire ,i`d just try for refund on vb5 and use vb4.2 witch i think is a great product now i cant comment on what it was when released as only used it for 2 months and im happy to stay on 4.2 for good now
                      www.fordmodified.co.uk
                      the home for modified fords

Comment

• DFORMS
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 4.1.x

I will be continuing development on my VB4 test site and forgetting VB5 unless they decide to release something decent. For now I asked for a refund on the VB5 upgrade only and I hope they will understand.

Comment

• iyama
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 4.2.X

I will be continuing development on my VB4 test site and forgetting VB5 unless they decide to release something decent. For now I asked for a refund on the VB5 upgrade only and I hope they will understand.
                          Legaly the must refund you.
                          You made a internet buy.
                          I don't buy VB5!

Comment

• Ramsesx
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Must be a bad day for Bob. First he saw all the new sales in his balance chart and the next day all the refunds coming in.

Comment

• rudedog1968
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 3.8.x

I'm really surprised at how many people have purchased vB5.

I guess this is why they hide the demo page under "learn more". I guess someone was smart enough to make it hard for potential customer to try the great alpha 10 demo.
                              Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• AbruzzoMeteo
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by iyama
                                Legaly the must refund you.
                                You made a internet buy.
                                I made the big mistake to buy it. They're not refunding since i donwloaded it, which it is not making really sense.
                                "Hello,

As per our license agreement, once the software has been downloaded we're unable to offer a refund.

All the best,"

Comment