X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeinjersey
    • Apr 2005

#1 Unbelievably overpriced

#2 If anything it looks worse than VB4.

#3 Gotta give props to their marketing dept though...making all the details sound extra juicy , when frankly there's very little enhancements.

#4 fruity music on the sample video -

Introducing the all new and exciting vBulletin Facebook Application for Your Community

thanks, but i'll stick with VB4.

Comment

• Deimos
      • Oct 2002
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by mikeinjersey
      #3 Gotta give props to their marketing dept though...making all the details sound extra juicy , when frankly there's very little enhancements.
      You do have to laugh at some of the phrases/claims they use in their marketing talk, such as:

vBulletin 5 Connect makes significant advances in the capabilities of online community websites, and is clearly the premier platform on which to build such sites

And "The worlds leading community software" combined with "the most powerful forum software".

It MAY have been the worlds leading with 3.X, but let's face it, it's hardly in that position now, ever since 4 came out.

Comment

• 14DH01
        • Sep 2010
        • 4.2.x

Announcing the Beta Launch of vBulletin 5 Connect

Originally posted by Lawrence Cole
        ALL Purchases made by 9/30/12 (either new and upgrade) - $25 discount (use coupon code CONNECT during checkout)
        Upgrades from vBulletin 3.x or 4.x - $40 discount
        Upgrades from vBulletin 4.x Publishing suite -$100 discount
        Upgrades of vBulletin 4 licenses purchased on or after 6/1/12, which are upgraded no later than 12/5/12 - $35 discount (will be reflected in the shopping cart for any license qualifying for this discount)
        Thank you !
        my forum Support bug reports please

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
          • Dec 2010
          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by stevectaylor
          $25 discount for loyal licence holders to upgrade is quite insulting.
          Yes, it could be much better.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not trying to be negative either, but, VB4 is good, I like it, but VB4 has a ton of unfixed bugs and problems. You would think the focus would be on fixing all the VB4 bugs before attempting to release a whole new version?
          Get the CMS fixed in VB4 that many feel is poor first as well?

Comment

• Mirical Bernd
            • Mar 2002
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Deimos
            I mean I waited for 2 years to upgrade our forums from 3.8 to 4.2, but I know we won't be upgrading to 5 when the 4 series becomes end of life.
            I can only agree with you. We did the step from 3.8 to 4.2 only 3 months ago. And we waited that long, as we had to convert over 70 styles. Rest assured I won't do this soon again. This new version is a the momentary state just ... (censored myself). I cannot believe that IB had the guts to publish it in this state AND to ask money from those who want to test it. That is just disgusting. Former versions of vBulletin where free to all testers.

Those points make me vomit:
            - Database structure-updates. Come on, I really DON'T want new IDs for over 30.000 threads, 3,5 million postings. The upgrade would take YEARS and it would ruin all links from Google. Who was the one to decide this mess?
            - Styles gone. 70 styles and all the hard work, which took a month (!) would be gone?
            - Addons no longer working. It was a great achievement of vBulletin, that you were able to run some (not all) Plugins from 3.x in 4.x.
            - The list of no longer supported features is a catastrophe. Are you just nuts to offer a product which can do much less than the version before as a Beta? This is NO Beta!

This is such an unprofessional presentation here for vBulletin 5. I cannot believe my eyes. If you offered a glimpse on a pre-alpha-version and offered the users the option to install this version for free, it would be ok in some ways. Everyone would tell you, that some of the "features" are not an option for their boards and you could turn back to the drawing board. But as you present this version as Beta 10 (!) we have to assume that the Release Candidates are not far away, that the Goldversion is going to be published still in this year.

If all of this stays at it is, the Comicforum, one of the largest boards in Germany will take advantage as long as it can of the 4.x-version and than change to a different software.

IB: You are definetely ruining a very good software.

Only option I see: Back to the drawing board. Put everything you have developed until now into the trash can. And do what it takes to get it right this time!

Comment

• Jafo
              • Apr 2004

I'm not here to bash, even though it is tempting. This is not personal, but business. I was REALLY hoping for a cutting edge product here, something that would make me say to myself: "Nah, no need in extending vb3 on your own anymore, just get on board with this new cool platform!" I am really dismayed about this. I understand this is BETA, and that makes me more disappointed.. This shouldn't even be ALPHA.. I just don't understand how a company worth so many millions can put out something like this; something that your average high school student with a couple years scripting experience could do, and present it as a serious product. Honestly, something just doesn't smell right. When IB said that the XF guys stole some of their ideas, well, frankly I was hoping to see some of those very ideas in this new product! This is nowhere near as good as XF and to be honest, XF isn't all that impressive to me either (yet)..

I guess I will just continue on extending vb 3.8's albums, social groups and tagging system on my own, for me and my clients usage and forget about VB unless there are some seriously drastic changes. I have a little sick to my stomach feeling today..

Comment

• Alfa1
                • Dec 2005
                • 3.8.x

TBH vBS would do well pulling the beta ASAP as this could seriously affect vbulletin reputation and future vb5 sales.
                vb5 might become amazing at some point, but right now its looking very very bad.
                I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Infopro
                  • Jun 2003
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Loco.M
                  What exactly is wrong.. just saying "it's wrong" doesn't really help the conversation.

details are good

Yeah you guys. Pay up and start submitting reports. We got a long way to go and we need your help...

What's wrong, indeed.

Comment

• Mirical Bernd
                    • Mar 2002
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Infopro
                    Yeah you guys. Pay up and start submitting reports. We got a long way to go and we need your help...
                    Won't do that as I won't pay money to do THEIR work. If they give me the product for free, I will maybe change my opinion.

Comment

• Infopro
                      • Jun 2003
                      • 3.8.x

Not me. And none of my customers. 3+ years later and we're all at 4.2 and now that it's almost finished we can jump to 5, at discount? Forget about it.

I long for the days when they held back and actually finished things and we all got to read those annoying posts asking, when, when when?

The answer used to be, when its ready. Remember that?

The new answer is, ready or not, here it is!

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 4.2.x

Well, they do need good, honest, feedback. So everyone's opinions and posts will make it beneficial to them. If the majority of VB users feel it is a loss, then it might pay them to step back, and restart a new angle/project.

Comment

• Infopro
                          • Jun 2003
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by GoHighVoltage
                          Well, they do need good, honest, feedback. So everyone's opinions and posts will make it beneficial to them. If the majority of VB users feel it is a loss, then it might pay them to step back, and restart a new angle/project.
                          We already went thru that, last time.

Comment

• craigvm
                            • Aug 2012
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Infopro

What's wrong, indeed.
                            the whole product just needs scrapping and starting again so far there is nothing i like about it and the comment thing just dont work go back to quote and all the missing basic features like no paid subscriptions or memberlist ib would of been better off improving vb4 but i guess there is 1 reason for rushing vb5 on sale and thats money
                            i for 1 will prob never move off vb4 now
                            www.fordmodified.co.uk
                            the home for modified fords

Comment

• KrU$ty
                              • May 2008
                              • 3.7.x

The price breaks for existing customers, especially considering the 2 year wait for stability in vb4, is frankly insulting. Considering how much I got burned with the last release, what exactly is pushing me to trust IB and do it again? $40? Ha!

Comment

• rgf207
                                • Apr 2004
                                • 4.2.X

Frankly I don't like it at all in its current form And I definitely do not think it's worth the price they are asking. If I ever do upgrade from vBulletin4 it won't be until the current version is much improved.

Comment