X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Crow
    • Jan 2009
    • 4.2.X

After the early vBulletin 4 backlash, I really can't understand how IB dares releasing such a subpar product as vBulletin 5 Connect. I've always been a big supporter of vBulletin and I believe the 4.2 version is a good product, but this is inexcusable.

Unless there's a major turnaround with vB Connect, not only I will not be upgrading my forum, but I may look into other alternatives...

Comment

• Warden
      • Mar 2007
      • 3.8.x

I just hope they don't try to force us to get this software down the road or I will go elsewhere.

Comment

• The Crow
        • Jan 2009
        • 4.2.X

They have never forced anyone to get any particular version. There are forums still using early 3.x versions or even 2.x.

Comment

• tickedon
          • Jan 2004
          • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

On receiving the email announcement, at first I thought "Great, they'd showed off some cool vBulletin 5 features, and $249 seems reasonable.". Of course they forgot to mention the $199 for support when they said "Given the robust functionality of vBulletin 5 Connect, this pricing delivers significantly better value than any other community software option." - not in a million years! Compared to what other community software options, exactly?!

And that's before we even get into the code and performance issues... *sigh*. Such great potential, and it seems squandered at the moment. I hope IB sort this out and prove us all wrong.
          Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
          # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
          # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

Comment

• Hall of Famer
            • Apr 2009
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
            Thanks you for your honest feedback, but please understand it is a beta product at this time.
            Well as far as I know, for any softwares the official release won't add new features upon their beta releases. They merely fix glitches and programming flaws, no more than that. Perhaps you should rename it VB5 Alpha 1 if you actually plan to add new features before the official release?

Comment

• mmcguire
              • Oct 2006

wow it is really bad. It's slow. Missing features. Error prone. I tried to vote in a poll and received an error.
              | Rancho Murieta |

Comment

• Warden
                • Mar 2007
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by The Crow
                They have never forced anyone to get any particular version. There are forums still using early 3.x versions or even 2.x.
                Forced by way of dropping support for VB3 and VB4 series so we would all have to go to the next version just to receive support, (Which they have done already for 3.7 series on back as stated here).

Originally posted by Zachery
                You also get vB4 and vB3, and vB2, with your license purchase.
                I get all three now with no renewal fees using vB4. Now we have to pay for a new vB version? You can keep VB5!
                Last edited by Warden; Wed 12 Sep '12, 1:31pm.

Comment

• Solitaire
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 4.0.x

Totally disappointed.

And by the looks of this thread, I'm spending 200 bucks for the software I already have and a chance to upgrade to a beta that is hardly a beta??

This isn't even presentable to my clients. How can I even offer this as an option when the beta is horrible. I have to tell them yea, spend 200 bucks and we can only hope that when it gets to official release stage it will be better. >.>

Unbelievable....
                  Vote for my suggestions here and here

Comment

• 14DH01
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Apokalupsis
                    vb3.8 seems to be the most popular and people seem to think it is by far, the best (in terms of quality and useful features)
                    It should continue coding the "vb4". and only after the development version "VB5".

but the policy of selling VB5 gives license "vb4" it will not work
                    Otherwise you have to sell "VB5" without "vb4"
                    my forum Support bug reports please

Comment

• J1mmy
                      • Feb 2006

Oh my, wow.

I'm sure the product manager is going to lose some sleep over all these negative threads. They really made a mistake releasing a poorly tested product, and now first impressions are engrained in everyone's minds.

I was waiting for this release because I was about to buy a license for IPB and wanted to see if vB5 was something I should wait for, so I held back. No need for me to repeat what everyone has already mentioned, but personally for me, that demo seemed hardly a substantial change from vB4. It's dull, no colour, and boring - not to mention all the functionality issues. I couldn't even register on the site successfully, or login.

Well, the wait is over for me. I'm off to buy a IPB license - who's coming?

Comment

• AlexanderT
                        • Mar 2003

And that is why I believe in, "Cobbler, stick to thy last." Stick with what you know. Do forums. I never believed in the all-encompassing CMS stuff. For that, there are other solutions available.

Comment

• asprens
                          • Oct 2007
                          • 4.2.X

Waiting for full version

if it does not meet expectations, I will look vbulletin

plus wage policy is very annoying
                          my big love kitabin

Comment

• Solitaire
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 4.0.x

Originally posted by J1mmy
                            Well, the wait is over for me. I'm off to buy a IPB license - who's coming?
                            TBH, I never considered going to IPB before. I looked at Xenforo, and decided it wasn't for me. The lack of development on it now, kind of confirms to me that it is probably dead software.

But now, after seeing vb5 Beta, I am seriously considering jumping ship. My current vb4 license is worth about 40 bucks now, and I don't think I can go through another 2-3 years of development hoping that the software I initially made an investment in "lives up to" the potential promised in the advertisements.

Comment

• J1mmy
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Solitaire
                              and I don't think I can go through another 2-3 years of development hoping that the software I initially made an investment in "lives up to" the potential promised in the advertisements.
                              This is a major problem. When the final one gets released it's likely to suffer from bugs and errors, no doubt (much like all the previous versions have proven it). So over the next 2 years vB will try to iron out these issues that should have been addressed within the first 6 months at least. By the beginning of the third year, they'll announce vB6, and the cycle just begins again. So it's no longer just a case of if the software is good enough, its about how the company's attitude on bugs is addressed that will sway decisions of buyers that look beyond the face value of the product. And from my experience of 6 years with vB, I know for a fact (esp given this most recent experience), that this attitude isn't going to change.

Comment

• Solitaire
                                • Oct 2010
                                • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Sador
                                vB4.0 gold and a lot after that were a very poor experience for many users. As such, a higher discount for people who stayed with it would have been a sign of good will - and I feel they missed that opportunity by a mile.
                                You could say that again. >.> I have a license that was purchased right after the gold release. 2 years of going through development with vb4 and people who hopped on to the ship in June when it finally became a more stable product get a 35 bucks discount on top of the upgrade for loyal customers who stuck with the software when it wasn't all it was promoted to be.

Comment