Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digitalpoint
    • Mar 2004
    • 4.1.x

Probably a good opportunity for a third party to create a vB4 -> vB5 import system that could do 1M+ records per minute while retaining primary keys.
    Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
    Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Paul M
      Former Lead Developer
      vB.Com & vB.Org
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by digitalpoint
      Changing IDs is silly, ....
      In vB3/4 you can have a thread, post, blog, PM, VM etc all with the same id (1 for example) - in vB5 they are all nodes, and every node id must be unique, so something has to change.

Really not sure what your motive is here, but I'm quite sure you know this already, which makes your statement just bizarre.
      Baby, I was born this way

Comment

Sounded like his motive was to answer Spinball's question.

Comment

• soniceffect
          • Feb 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by SneakyDave
          Sounded like his motive was to answer Spinball's question.
          I think Paul may have been referring to his motive in calling it silly
          Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• digitalpoint
            • Mar 2004
            • 4.1.x

I don't have vB5, so no... I didn't know that. As long as the primary content type IDs aren't changed (for example post IDs), it's not silly (although you could argue if that's a good underlying design, but that's another topic)... But if *every* content type's primary ID is renumbered, it's simply a poorly designed upgrade process.
            Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
            Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Alfa1
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Paul M
              In vB3/4 you can have a thread, post, blog, PM, VM etc all with the same id (1 for example) - in vB5 they are all nodes, and every node id must be unique, so something has to change.

Really not sure what your motive is here, but I'm quite sure you know this already, which makes your statement just bizarre.
              Who cares if they are nodes or not? Thats the backend technology. The front end reality is that it changes your most important urls. What's so difficult about creating a showthread.php and a forumdisplay.php that serves up the correct ID's so that customers do not suffer a SEO blow? You know that its not difficult to implement. IPS implemented it in a week or so to cater to unhappy vbulletin customers fleeing from here.

Is IB going to change the ID's for their websites as well?
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Paul M
                Former Lead Developer
                vB.Com & vB.Org
                • Sep 2004

Maybe you should check what actually exists first before posting.

Comment

• Alfa1
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Maybe you should check what actually exists first before posting.
                  I do not have vb5, and have not read any information anywhere about such functionality being available. If it is, then thats very nice.
                  I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Spinball
                    • Oct 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Is this posted personally or in your role as Senior vBulletin Developer? Because the way you aggressively defend vB5 is quite unprofessional.
                    Stuart Wright, founder AVForums.com. [strike]13[/strike] 15 million posts and counting.
                    vBulletin user from 2001. We stopped upgrading vB at 3.8.2 and sadly we're going no further.

Comment

• soniceffect
                      • Feb 2005
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Spinball
                      Is this posted personally or in your role as Senior vBulletin Developer? Because the way you aggressively defend vB5 is quite unprofessional.
                      Aw come on. Paul wasnt even defending anything. He was stating people should actually check before commenting, which ya gotta admit is a fair comment. We have people now tryin to put things down when they dont even know if what they are saying is correct, and its ridiculous
                      Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• borbole
                        • Feb 2010

I do not see anything unprofessional here myself. What Paul said, which I happen to totally agree as well, is that people should get their facts straight before they comment about something. And that is how it should be imho.

Comment

• Paul M
                          Former Lead Developer
                          vB.Com & vB.Org
                          • Sep 2004

ROFL.

I can only smile at such a ridiculous post, perhaps you have had a bit too much xmas 'spirit' to drink

Comment

• stryka
                            • Aug 2002

wait a second... now i am curious... can anyone return to the topic on the previous page and explain the benefits of "NODES" and if VB will have a remapping tool.... i haven't read all these posts... so i am asking

ROFL.

I can only smile at such a ridiculous post, perhaps you have had a bit too much xmas 'spirit' to drink

Comment

• craigvm
                              • Aug 2012
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Idawg
                              If you TRULY wanted us to test out your NEW forum, you would have released it to the community FOR FREE, and some of us would be beta testing it for you... Now, I WONT pay 200.00 for it.. Dev team, DONT quit your day job.. I have been a user since vB3.5, and have 10 licenses.. I would recommend a whole new redo on the code.. It is WAY too slow... I thought vb4 was slow, but 5 makes mine look like a speed demon...

BTW, I beta test for MS, and we get ALL the software for free when we do that...

If I am told that vb4 is going EOL when 5 comes out, I will go to IPB and go that way...
                              well said totally agree
                              www.fordmodified.co.uk
                              the home for modified fords

Comment