VB5 Demo Feedback

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Off_Topic
    • Dec 2009

Yeah absolutely, open source use is great and I wouldn't expect the entire vBulletin script to be written by vBulletin alone, it makes sense to use it in some cases. But there also comes a point where the vBulletin product goes from being a unique creation to a montage of scripts found around the web all glued together. vBulletin 5 is very JavaScript heavy (which I also have my criticisms about) yet the majority of code that powers these functions is from heaps (dozens?) of small open source projects. How much of this JavaScript is actually being written by vBulletin?

I know there's two ways of looking at it, there's good and bad, I mean why recreate the wheel right? But on the other hand vBulletin customers are paying for that wheel to be recreated, not just glued together. I don't feel I should open this can of worms too much but from a developers only perspective the JavaScript (and CSS) side of vBulletin 5 is a complete mess, outdated and obsolete code included. All 114MB of it.
    Last edited by Off_Topic; Thu 8 Nov '12, 10:31pm.
    http://www.offtopic.com.au/

Comment

• rob83
      • Mar 2012

Another thread filled with depressing news. It'll be a long time before I change to vb5, if ever. I hope you guys do make some serious changes that have been pointed out in here. Sorry

Comment

Are there attributions in the vBulletin deployment files that it uses Twitter/bootstrap? It appears to be required...

It allows you to:
        • freely download and use Twitter open source software, in whole or in part, for personal, company internal or commercial purposes
        • use Twitter open source software in packages or distributions that you create

It forbids you to:
        • redistribute any piece of Twitter open source originated software without proper attribution
        • use any marks owned by Twitter in any way that might state or imply that Twitter endorses your distribution
        • use any marks owned by Twitter in any way that might state or imply that you created the Twitter software in question

It requires you to:
        • include a copy of the license in any redistribution you may make that includes Twitter software
        • provide clear attribution to Twitter for any distributions that include Twitter open source software

It does not require you to:
        • include the source of the Twitter software itself, or of any modifications you may have made to it, in any redistribution you may assemble that includes it
        • submit changes that you make to the software back to Twitter (though such feedback is encouraged)
        On the other hand, I don't see any references to bootstrap in the footer_rollup.js file referenced above, maybe it was recently removed?

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

bootstrap.js still exists, with the header text they provide in the files intact.
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• asprens
            • Oct 2007
            • 4.2.X

Blog page too bad

vbulletin 5 so far away to me anymore: (

my big love kitabin

Comment

• Mickie D
              • Jan 2003
              • 4.2.X

I just wondered how the new VB5 has come on speed wise? Especially on large forums?

I have a pretty large site (not massive) but I always try and make it a priority to reduce load times.

Mick
              Last edited by Mickie D; Thu 20 Dec '12, 1:40pm. Reason: bad punctuation!
              Digitalworldz - Satellite and Cable Forum

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

Performance work is ongoing and it's definitely getting better. If there's anything you spot when using the demo which you believe would help performance, please add it to the Tracker as these are given a good priority
                Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Idawg
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 4.2.x

If you TRULY wanted us to test out your NEW forum, you would have released it to the community FOR FREE, and some of us would be beta testing it for you... Now, I WONT pay 200.00 for it.. Dev team, DONT quit your day job.. I have been a user since vB3.5, and have 10 licenses.. I would recommend a whole new redo on the code.. It is WAY too slow... I thought vb4 was slow, but 5 makes mine look like a speed demon...

BTW, I beta test for MS, and we get ALL the software for free when we do that...

If I am told that vb4 is going EOL when 5 comes out, I will go to IPB and go that way...
                  "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
                  Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
                  Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Idawg
                    If you TRULY wanted us to test out your NEW forum, you would have released it to the community FOR FREE, and some of us would be beta testing it for you...
                    An extensive community of beta testers were involved in advance testing of the product from late July onwards, and are still involved.

Originally posted by Idawg
                    If I am told that vb4 is going EOL when 5 comes out, I will go to IPB and go that way...
                    The exact opposite has been stated, a version 4.3 is planned for some point after the vB5 launch. Alongside the plan to make 4.2 compatible with php5.4.
                    vB4 isn't going away just yet.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------
                    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Deimos
                      • Oct 2002
                      • 3.8.x

At this stage in VB's development, it'd be nice to see a live copy of this forum, running on VB5, on perhaps, a second demo site, just to give people an idea of what it performs/acts like with tons of posts/threads.

Comment

• hornstar6969
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Deimos
                        At this stage in VB's development, it'd be nice to see a live copy of this forum, running on VB5, on perhaps, a second demo site, just to give people an idea of what it performs/acts like with tons of posts/threads.
                        Couldn't agree more. In fact this needs to happen here on vb.com before vb5 goes gold. And it should happen soon as they clearly have now stated vb5 gold is not far away.
                        Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• hornstar6969
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Several betas back they were saying the vb.com database was being heavily tested on each update behind the scenes and in jira there was a ton of bugs reported for problems they found in running vb5 on the vb.com database. It would be nice to hear how things are now going with it.

It will be interesting for the mods here to not have the infraction system when they do upgrade to vb5.
                          Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• Spinball
                            • Oct 2001
                            • 3.8.x

Is it correct that migrating from vB3 or 4 to vB5 will lose all existing thread and post IDs thereby breaking all inbound links to threads and posts? And these can't be saved with 301 redirects?
                            Stuart Wright, founder AVForums.com. [strike]13[/strike] 15 million posts and counting.
                            vBulletin user from 2001. We stopped upgrading vB at 3.8.2 and sadly we're going no further.

Comment

• digitalpoint
                              • Mar 2004
                              • 4.1.x

Changing IDs is silly, but I believe the IDs do change and the old are redirected to the new... Which means you will have to have a remapping database table, but at least they should redirect.
                              Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                              Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Alfa1
                                • Dec 2005
                                • 3.8.x

While the links will not break, you will loose the incoming link juice and you will need to keep the remapping database table for eternity. Also: if you ever choose to move to another platform then you will loose the remapping table. (unless you create a 2nd remapping table for the remapping table)
                                I buy 420 forums

Comment