X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by azmoon
    in vb4 suite there is "articles" part ... vbulletin 5 has not "article " module
    As announced via email and in these forums, vB5 Connect is a 'Phased' release, meaning features will be added over time.

The CMS has been mentioned specifically.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Sushubh
      • Apr 2007

that's amazing too in a way because people who are actually using CMS would probably not be able to upgrade even if they wanted to.

the other web software that i have been using for a long time is WordPress. it has seen a couple of major upgrades but none of the newer versions had fewer features compared to the previous release. and also. none of the update broke your URL structure.

just saying.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Sushubh
        that's amazing too in a way because people who are actually using CMS would probably not be able to upgrade even if they wanted to.

the other web software that i have been using for a long time is WordPress. it has seen a couple of major upgrades but none of the newer versions had fewer features compared to the previous release. and also. none of the update broke your URL structure.

just saying.
        While the URL structure is changing nothing is "broken." Old URLs will work just fine after you upgrade.

The same thing happened between VB3 and VB4... Assuming you chose to use one of the "friendly" URL options in VB4 then your URL structure changed but old links still worked.

Comment

• Sushubh
          • Apr 2007

oh cool. i read around here that you were changing ids of posts and threads during the upgrade process... which i assumed would have broken the old links. (i have not tried upgrading my existing forum database on my test install).

the switch from php based urls to friendly urls did not break the older urls as they were redirected properly.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

ids of posts and threads do get changed but their old IDs are stored in the database and when the old style URL is detected the proper thread/post gets displayed- it was one of the first things I tested when I did a test upgrade to VB5.

Comment

• Sushubh
              • Apr 2007

that is really good to know!

Comment

• OhioDave
                Banned
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Joe D.
                While the URL structure is changing nothing is "broken." Old URLs will work just fine after you upgrade.

The same thing happened between VB3 and VB4... Assuming you chose to use one of the "friendly" URL options in VB4 then your URL structure changed but old links still worked.
                Thats rather misleading isn't it? In the vB3 -> vB4 upgrades the thread ID's didn't change. With vB5 don't the ID's change, which will make all external links worthless with the rankings?

Comment

• Sushubh
                  • Apr 2007

from what i understand he is saying that vB would handle the redirection and if redirections are done properly (301), it should not cause too much of a problem for google to connect the older links with the new ones.

yes, it would add redirection to existing links scattered around the web and in google database but it is still better than all dead links.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by OhioDave
                    Thats rather misleading isn't it? In the vB3 -> vB4 upgrades the thread ID's didn't change. With vB5 don't the ID's change, which will make all external links worthless with the rankings?

I don't think you understand... The link to this thread is: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...-Demo-Feedback ot in full txt:
                    Code:
                    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/407223-VB5-Demo-Feedback
                    After this site gets upgraded to VB5 one day that link will still be a link to this thread.

That link will work on this site, on your site, on my site, in Google, in your browser's bookmarks... anywhere.

No existing links will break. Don't concern yourself over the numbers changing, it doesn't break links.

Comment

• Xaron
                      • Sep 2006

I took a look at the resulting HTML code of vb5 and thought... WTF?! Is this going to be released that way? Uh dear...

I'm a long term customer started with vb3 which was just great. vb4 was just... well... unusable in the first versions but looking at vb5 tells me that vb4 was my last vb version.

Oh well and let me add, that I'm VERY disappointed that you've kicked vb Germany. :/

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 5.1.x

So I figured I would check out the VB5 Beta 11 refresh.

Might as well have kept it titled Beta 10.

So far in my book VB5 has been an epic fail. Epically. Sure it's in beta. But it looks at the current rate of things it will be there for awhile.

You visit the demo and it loads like 3 different pages before showing the actual forums. Can anyone say, "Amateur hour"? And the sad thing is that when you visit a forum that's the first thing you see. It already starts leaving a bad impression.

The thing is just a disaster. There are some things I like. But then again I could find good things about most any forum software. But the bad far outweighs the good. The thing should NEVER have been put out for display. Its just not ready. I mean, its still missing components and features. It would be like putting a display of a new car out with it missing features and components and trying to sell it.

Yeah I think I'm likely gonna skip out of VB5 unless in the coming years there are some drastic changes to it. It feels like the whole thing was just slapped together and that they would just deal with problems later. By no means does it feel professional or anywhere near complete. How it got a Beta rating is beyond me. It feels far more Alpha.

I'll keep watching. But VBulletin 5 so far has been probably one of, if not the worst, fails in VB history. And that is if one goes off first impressions by the beta. Very disappointed in VB/IB right now.

Comment

• rudedog1968
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 3.8.x

I think the biggest issue is not that they released a public preview of the alpha but they are trying to sell it a this stage.

It just reeks of sneakyness. vB should be making it very clear that this software is still in early alpha, it will be released in parts (well after going gold), the changes in ticket/live support and the changes in the EULA.

It seems like you really have to search the web (more then you would for any other software/hardware) or be a registered user here in the forums before you can get the inside scoop on what you're really getting or not getting.
                          Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• socceronly
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 3.8.x

What does it matter what it's called, if it's public?

It is clear it's being released in parts.

I am disappointed in where it's at. I would like nothing more than it to be six months ahead of where it is. But this doesn't speak to what it is, or is going to be.

At this point I would like to hear from developer oriented people if the direction it is taking is good or not.
                            Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• DragonByte Tech
                              • May 2011
                              • 4.1.x

So I heard on the grapevine that some of you wanted to hear from an addon dev regarding what we think of vB5.

At this exact point in time (A.K.A. "the time of writing") there's still some issues with the technology we need not being fully in place. Examples being the ability to create pages with pre-populated modules, addon updates wiping configuration and other, smaller issues.

However, we're in direct communication with Lawrence, Paul and Wayne who (along with vB Style, who's not a member of staff) have been absolute bosses in helping us figure out existing tech, as well as ensuring that the aforementioned issues be bumped up on the priority list so that addon devs can still get stuff done.
                              Other devs who have run into similar issues and reported them in Jira have received similar treatment.

There's also a bunch of new, cool stuff that vastly improves the quality of life for addon developers and makes for better quality code.

All in all, I don't think you'll find any disagreement that there's issues to be worked on, but they are actively being worked on. Things are moving forward at a rapid pace, and I for one am enjoying my time developing for vB5

Fillip
                              www.Dragonbyte-tech.com

Comment

• socceronly
                                • Nov 2009
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by DragonByte Tech
                                So I heard on the grapevine that some of you wanted to hear from an addon dev regarding what we think of vB5.

At this exact point in time (A.K.A. "the time of writing") there's still some issues with the technology we need not being fully in place. Examples being the ability to create pages with pre-populated modules, addon updates wiping configuration and other, smaller issues.

However, we're in direct communication with Lawrence, Paul and Wayne who (along with vB Style, who's not a member of staff) have been absolute bosses in helping us figure out existing tech, as well as ensuring that the aforementioned issues be bumped up on the priority list so that addon devs can still get stuff done.
                                Other devs who have run into similar issues and reported them in Jira have received similar treatment.

There's also a bunch of new, cool stuff that vastly improves the quality of life for addon developers and makes for better quality code.

All in all, I don't think you'll find any disagreement that there's issues to be worked on, but they are actively being worked on. Things are moving forward at a rapid pace, and I for one am enjoying my time developing for vB5

Fillip
                                This post alone should out weigh thousands of the reactionary ones as the implications on the direction are really positive.

Thanks!
                                JM
                                Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment