VB5 Demo Feedback

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sushubh
    • Apr 2007

I would have to look at it. It was definitely working on b10 with .hta password protection! But yeah it makes sense as Facebook would not be able to access the forum through the HTA protection. Thanks for the pointer!

Two more things I noticed...

Posting a link in the advanced editor or Write something editor does not render the link. It is posted as plain text.

And posting it using the Post link option does not work at all in B11 on my server. I am going to check this on the official demo right now. Update: It works there. So, something is wrong with my installation. :|

I would also search on Jira if this bug is currently reported though the search engine there is not very cool.

I wish posting was not this complicated. I mean if I have to post multiple links, I have no idea what editor to use! Still trying to see what vB is doing with the post editor thing. I wish post editors would automatically render links (webpage title text linked to the url). Post Link feature can be used for more visual posting of the link!
    Last edited by Sushubh; Wed 26 Sep '12, 8:53am.

Comment

• warlord0
      • Apr 2012
      • 4.1.x

I'd love to offer feedback. I want to get it on a test system.

It says it's in the members area ready and available to download... but when I look the only link in the members area for the beta is to a forum page telling me it's available in the members area

Comment

• Sushubh
        • Apr 2007

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	3690421 the link in the left column is indeed dead. this should work.

Comment

• Ace
          • Apr 2004
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by warlord0
          I'd love to offer feedback. I want to get it on a test system.

It says it's in the members area ready and available to download... but when I look the only link in the members area for the beta is to a forum page telling me it's available in the members area
          Have you actually purchased vB5?
          My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• philg
            • Nov 2005

Can you give us some idea of why the demo is slow? It's been two weeks and all we've been given is 'because it's a beta'. It just isn't a valid reason for the 10+ second delay on a board with very little members and activity.

Is the issue known? Is it an issue with the mysql queries? A particular bit of code? Server related?

And yes, I'm aware of taking time away from development, but it just crap communication about this major issue. You guys initially said there would be daily updates to the demo and things would be moving quickly which they are not.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by philg
              Can you give us some idea of why the demo is slow? It's been two weeks and all we've been given is 'because it's a beta'. It just isn't a valid reason for the 10+ second delay on a board with very little members and activity.
              Actually, we've said more than "Its a beta". Performance is an issue that we're actively working on.

Is the issue known? Is it an issue with the mysql queries? A particular bit of code? Server related?
              A little all of the above.

And yes, I'm aware of taking time away from development, but it just crap communication about this major issue. You guys initially said there would be daily updates to the demo and things would be moving quickly which they are not.
              Not sure how you're taking time away from development. We don't let the developers visit the forums very often as it is (that is a joke)...

When we said daily updates to the demo, we were referring to showing off content, modules, and different configurations. Those have all been happening. Development is on a 1 week sprint and after the sprint, QA reviews the fixed bugs and tests for regressions. Then we release. This ends up being a 7-14 day cycle. So QA has finished with Beta 11 and it has been deployed. QA and the Alpha/Beta Testers are currently working with Beta 12 which should finish its sprint later this week and go to full testing. Then the developers will go to Beta 13. And so forth...

We're not going to release a new release every night. Whether things are moving quickly or not is subjective to your view. While they could move more quickly, they are moving quickly from where I am sitting. The problem with moving too quickly is people start making mistakes. So we can do it correctly or quickly. Most are screaming to have it done correctly.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• warlord0
                • Apr 2012
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Sushubh
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]62317[/ATTACH] the link in the left column is indeed dead. this should work.
                Originally posted by Ace
                Have you actually purchased vB5?
                I have to purchase it to try a beta???! Then why invite me on my admin panel and email?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	3690426

Comment

• Sushubh
                  • Apr 2007

well yeah. i am sort of not very happy about paying for the upgrade considering the doubts i now have in my mind. from what i read around here, admin demo was to be made available. i guess it would be made public eventually. i had no patience!

Comment

• Super Cat
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 4.2.X

Go to Home Page/ Link Learn More/Link Demo/ Login In or Sign Up

Comment

• sadiq6210
                      • Jun 2004
                      • 3.6.x

Happy to see it FIXED

This will improve the performance.
                      Signature test :)

Comment

• Ace
                        • Apr 2004
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by warlord0
                        I have to purchase it to try a beta???! Then why invite me on my admin panel and email?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62325[/ATTACH]
                        Yes. Purchase of the software is required if you wish to install vB5 Connect beta on your server.
                        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• gajinoz
                          • Oct 2011

I don't want to be negative and I'm all for improving things with upgrades and the like but I really can't see myself handing over my hard earned bucks for what I've seen so far. I now have a well organised, stable, working version 4 that's set up the way people seem to like so why would I lose all that in order to move to something that is slow and doesn't appear to have the features I have now with a few simple mods?

Maybe it will improve when it gets beyond beta stage but still, why would I upgrade?

Comment

• Paul M
                            Former Lead Developer
                            vB.Com & vB.Org
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by gajinoz
                            Maybe it will improve when it gets beyond beta stage but still, why would I upgrade?
                            Thats for you to ask yourself, and decide.
                            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• gajinoz
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Paul M
                              Thats for you to ask yourself, and decide.
                              To a large extent yes, it will be me who finally decides. I'm not sure how the vBulletin organisation works, is it a business out to provide a product and make money or is it a bunch of people having fun making stuff and not caring too much either way if they sell it or not? Doesn't really matter which it is but if it's a business out to make money then you should probably be trying to provide potential customers reasons why they should buy your product or upgrade it. This is what marketing departments do.

If you're a bunch of guys having fun and not too concerned about selling your stuff then your answer is probably a good one.

I'm not trying to be an arsehole here and critical for no reason, I think vB4 is a great product, it does what I want and I'd be the first to recommend it to others but vers. 5 looks to me like change just for the sake of change rather than building on and improving an already good product. That was basically the gist of my previous post.

I'll keep reading the feedback and see if anything there helps me change my mind.

Comment

• azmoon
                                • Feb 2012
                                • 4.2.x

in vb4 suite there is "articles" part ... vbulletin 5 has not "article " module

Comment