X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zascok
    • Jul 2012
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
    If you don't want to test vB5, don't. If you don't want to report a bug that impacts you don't. But you also shouldn't be upset if it never gets fixed because no one else reported it.
    Just like I said before

Originally posted by zascok
    It's you job to test software are fix them. I will stay and judge from the far. Then I'll make my decision is your product worth paying money?

I kinda give up paying money for a product just to work as an unpaid beta-tester for while.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Klerks
      I'm just trying to imagine car manufacturers, construction companies or any other business for that matter with this kind of "pay us now and don't complain if it's broken if you don't report it" mentality.
      That is pretty much how it works, there are issues that take over a decade to get reported in the car industry. For example I owned a 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo, it wasn't until mid to late 2000's that they found a problem with the gas tank possibly being able to cause some serious damage if it wasn't attached properly due to a bad part used at manufacture. Once they identified and found the problem, they issued a fix.

Many car companies do this. Cars are a bad analogy to software. Cars are a physical thing you actually own. Software is licensed.

Bug discovery, as well as security exploit discovery is always an ongoing thing. Software will never be 100% perfect or without flaws or limitations. If you don't want to report the bug, the only person you're hurting is yourself and others like you who are running into it.

We can test and test and test forever until we rot, and we still might not ever find all of the bugs. My way of using the forum and doing things is going to be different than your way of using the software and doing things. There is no reasonable way for us to disvoer all of the ways the software doesn't work as we intended when we cannot think of the way you'd use it.

We have staff, and a beta team testing the software, we also encourage anyone who has a license and is interested in using the vBulletin software to report the bugs they find in the software though normal use. I don't think we're asking much to report issues that are causing you problems. Maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

• Mickie D
        • Jan 2003
        • 4.2.X

Wow, how slow is that.

Sorry guys been a vbulletin user for years and years now, but that is awful.

I am not one of those negative users, Is till believe vbulletin is the best platform out there... but Guys seriously that is painfully slow.

The only issue I have with vbulletin is large forums tend to get a little overlooked (i understand new customers is important) but you tend to push it to the new members, I think this would kill my users experience, as vb4 is allot slower than vb3, but I managed to get by, but this is crazy slow!

Will upgrade when it's more stable and much much quicker!

Mick
        Digitalworldz - Satellite and Cable Forum

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

Nope, sorry mate I'm not going to do your testers' job, they are getting paid for that aren't they?
          That is not my problem either. You are making a commercial product, so no one has to report the bags. It's you job to test software are fixed them. I will stay and judge from the far. Then I'll make my decision is your product worth paying money?

I kinda give up paying money for a product just to work as an unpaid beta-tester for while. You want my help -you gonna pay me for that.

Nothing personal-business as usual.
          Fortunately for IB you mean? And now check
          Mark.B signature that says

So basically all he wanted to say , make my job easer and please note there was no "please" and it's considered as an order in England.

Good luck to everyone who haven't had enough of being unpaid tester for IB in vB4 project. Let them take advantages of you while you paying money.
          I remember vB3 since Gamma that was fun, we weren't treated as £$%^& . And vB3 was ready to go ever since Gold and the enhancement and development didn't stop up to vB 3.8.4 But even in Beta you could install and use it up-to 85% of potential.
          Ever since I start to use vB4.
          All the time you spent arguing about it you could have just logged it.

Oh well, good luck finding forum software where they dont ask you to log any bugs you find.
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• soniceffect
            • Feb 2005
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mickie D
            Wow, how slow is that.

Sorry guys been a vbulletin user for years and years now, but that is awful.

I am not one of those negative users, Is till believe vbulletin is the best platform out there... but Guys seriously that is painfully slow.

The only issue I have with vbulletin is large forums tend to get a little overlooked (i understand new customers is important) but you tend to push it to the new members, I think this would kill my users experience, as vb4 is allot slower than vb3, but I managed to get by, but this is crazy slow!

Will upgrade when it's more stable and much much quicker!

Mick
            Only the first public beta as of yet and they are aware of the issues with performance at present Im sure they will be fixed in due cause.
            Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• digitalpoint
              • Mar 2004
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
              No, it's not about making a job easier - there have been numerous bugs raised that are specific to individual's setups. I raised bugs that hadn't been come across during testing as they were unique to the way I had my forums/server setup, if I hadn't bothered to report them and have them fixed then other would have had these when the software was made available for download.

Users reporting bugs in vBulletin is not a new thing either, this has been the case since the product was first brought to market. The vB3 beta period was exceptionally long as users reported bugs - they didn't get paid for them either, they did it to help make the software better. You're under no obligation to report anythign but if you don't report them, then you may find yourself waiting even longer for them to get fixed.
              Not really sure comparing vB3 bug reporting/fixing to vB4/vB5 is very valid. It's like comparing apples to oranges. In vB3, bugs were all fixed... In fact you could actually predict when a new version was coming out because when the outstanding bugs were less than 5, you knew a release was coming in the next day or two (this is actually 100% true and I used to check how many outstanding bugs there were to get a rough estimate on when the next version was coming out).

Fast forward a bit to vB4, and there are *still* major outstanding bugs that were reported within 72 hours of vB4's first public beta (3 years ago). Major issues meaning it causes data corruption and permanently banned users that have zero active infractions. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-941

A couple months later and we have one that has been pending/confirmed since 4.0.2 (2 1/2 years now)... another major issue that causes fatal SQL errors and user data corruption.

The point being that telling users they need to put stuff in the bug tracker to get it fixed it's exactly true... even major issues that cause data corruption and fatal errors weren't deemed important enough to fix, so...
              Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
              Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• audiokid
                • Apr 2009
                • 4.1.x

Major issues meaning it causes data corruption and permanently banned users that have zero active infractions. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-941
                Now I know why members were so upset at us when we moved to vb4. I had many people saying that they were blocked and so they never returned.
                Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
                created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Alfa1
                  It would be nice to get a notification with each new build. This would spark people to start testing again after a new build is installed on the demo.
                  There hasn't been a new build applied to the demo yet.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Super Cat
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
                    I installed and ran 4.2.0 live while it was still in beta.
                    i did with 4.0. Ouch!

Originally posted by Jan Klerks
                    I'm just trying to imagine car manufacturers, construction companies or any other business for that matter with this kind of "pay us now and don't complain if it's broken if you don't report it" mentality.
                    Car companies are always having recalls. I had a 97 Grand Prix with a recall 2009.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by s.molinari
                      Yes, customers should report bugs. But no, they shouldn't be told to take the software in its current state and use it in any way, just to see if it works. It is just way too "not-beta", to put it as lightly as I can. I've asked a couple of time now if there could be a list of features where IB says "this is it" and get customers concentrated on those features. But I guess everything is work in progress and that is not testable at all. I will also not write one Jira, until I know what is considered a fairly finished feature, because then I know I am not wasting my time on writing up Jiras for functions that are already slated to be improved or continued to be worked on anyway.

Scott
                      The demo wasn't really deployed for comprehensive testing of individual features. Load testing and stress testing, which it failed, but not "We want these features tested". If people using the demo see an issue and want the issue fixed, they should report it. For comprehensive testing and tearing things apart, we have QA and a beta testing team.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• zascok
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Paul M
                        All the time you spent arguing about it you could have just logged it.

Oh well, good luck finding forum software where they dont ask you to log any bugs you find.
                        I don't belive there is anyone who puts up a raw commercial product and ask customers to test it for them. Give me one good reason why I have to do so?

So IB can fix bugs? Doesn't make sense. Then less people will report then quicker you will have to work. At the moment all you chances are put on that customers would find bugs and report for you.

I don't do same mistake twice, to old for that staff. As soon as vB4 sale start to get better development and fixes start to go down.

No way I'm going that road again

Get yourself proper testers, or pay them properly or do both. I don't know what you problem is. But I do know there are various tecnics of testing software and 5 of them are considered paramount.

For the rest of the lecture you can send your testers to my class I won't charge you too much.

Or you just could follow my link and read the threads on the demo thre are at list 4 bugs mentioned in my posts. All the time you spend telling me what to do you could find out and fill the report.

And here is 5th one go and register a nickname with zeros on the front lets say 003, see what would happen
                        Last edited by zascok; Fri 21 Sep '12, 2:18pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

I don't belive there is anyone who puts up a raw commercial product and ask customers to test it for them. Give me one good reason why I have to do so?
                          You don't. However if you notice something that is wrong and don't report it, then you probably don't have the right to complain about it either. We can only fix what is reported and even the best testers won't see every issue.

In reality you have too options:

1) Report the issue and help mold the product into something you're looking for.

2) Ignore it and it won't get fix.

No one is forcing you to do either.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• zascok
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 3.8.x

Thank you for my chances I'll stick with the second option. And I wasn't complaining as you could note.

The question was have I reporter it , so I gave my answer and my reasons.

1. Rely on others who will do your job
                            2. Just do you job

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Thank you for my chances I'll stick with the second option.

The question was have I reporter it , so I gave my answer and my reasons.

1. Rely on others who will do your job
                              2. Just do you job
                              My job actually has little to do with reporting bugs. Thanks for playing though. However if you really want to play along, I have reported 164 individual issues, participated in 282 and help prioritize many of them.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• soniceffect
                                • Feb 2005
                                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                                My job actually has little to do with reporting bugs. Thanks for playing though. However if you really want to play along, I have reported 164 individual issues, participated in 282 and help prioritize many of them.
                                And would I be correct in saying thats not actually your job either Wayne?
                                Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment