Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iguanairs
    • Mar 2004
    • 4.2.X

Not impressed at all and don't foresee me upgrading any of my sites (I have 6 I run under 4 accounts) to this. I really don't like how they are trying to squeeze money out of everyone. Jelsoft never tried to screw us over like these people are and I am done with vBulletin. Any further upgrades my sites need will be done using different software.
    Herp Center - Reptile Forums

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
      • Jun 2004
      • 5.1.x

So I heard that Jerry "The King" Lawler on Monday night decided to check out the latest VB 5 build after his match during Raw.

Wait.....too soon?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Andy
        Wayne how many database tables does vB5 have?
        Not sure what this shows..

On relatively clean versions of 5 and 4.2.0, I get:

vb5 - 200
        vb4.2.0 - 241
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• goyo
          • Dec 2002

Thanks for the demo.

It's not as bad as many people say (I've read all the comments) but it needs time to fix everything.
          With much work it can be a stable product in about 6 months.

Huge css file is not a real problem but the class usage and logic...the unnecessary javascript effects...(or for example 24 cookies sent to display one page) gives hard time to browsers throw out the rendered page.

Especially hard time for mobile browsers.

I like the general layout but there should be an improvement on distinguishing different type (blog, group etc.) of posts.

I'll revisit in February to think about the upgrade and new licenses. Keep it up the good work!
          Last edited by goyo; Thu 13 Sep '12, 12:14pm.

Comment

• iyama
            • Dec 2009
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Kirk Fitzgerald
            Blimey, I visited there yesterday and thought it was a god awful mess, I just registered there today as things looked a heck of a lot better, I am astonished at how much improved it feels today, I don't know if it's just me having got over the initial shock of the 'newness' of vB5 or if radical improvements really have occurred since yesterday.

I have to admit I was hasty yesterday in my opinion, I am coming to really like vB5 now, I am there now having a look around and the more I see as a registered member the more I am liking what I see, darn it, now I am going to have to try to find a way to afford the upgrade.
            vb offerd more money to you to say that here? :P
            VB The Next Social Media plugin!
            I don't buy VB5!

Comment

• gedsta
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Kirk Fitzgerald
              I am astonished at how much improved it feels today, I don't know if it's just me having got over the initial shock of the 'newness' of vB5 or if radical improvements really have occurred since yesterday.

Its not changed afaik - Its still on Beta10 same as yesterday?

Comment

• Stallyon
                • Mar 2005
                • 4.2.X

Slow as a wet week and have never seen so many bugs in a Beta before. Maybe in an Alpha, but not in a Beta. Looks terrific and highly customisable, though.
                A computer without Microsoft Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
                vBulletin user since March 2004, joined forum a year later, migration from vBulletin began April 2013. After 6 years of negativity, even old die-hard fans lose faith.

Comment

• IcEWoLF
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 4.1.x

Originally posted by sadikb
                  Apparently yes -> https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post2334242

Apparently the developers of VB5 did not know that MySQL primary key ids, even if they are autonumbered, can be inserted at random, provided there are no duplicates. Really the epic level of failures here are beyond words... I really am at a loss of words here to explain what really has just happened with VB5
                  Thanks for sharing this, I overlooked this!
                  The 47 Ronin Gaming - www.47r-squad.com

Comment

• Hemanth
                    • Nov 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Sador
                    In fairness, I don't think it's fair to blame individual devs for anything.
                    Why not? I heard this argument all the time when they were messing with vB4. I agreed to that to some extend because of the legacy vB3 code they had to use as a base; but not any more.

As for vB5, a $10/hr freelancer can do a a far better job.
                    something...

Comment

• Sador
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Hemanth
                      Why not? I heard this argument all the time when they were messing with vB4. I agreed to that to some extend because of the legacy vB3 code they had to use as a base; but not any more.

As for vB5, a $10/hr freelancer can do a a far better job.
                      Because individual devs do not make the decisions, may be told to do specific things (for example, they might get very limited time, got told 'don't waste resources on fancy looking code as long as it's functional', their work might be edited, merged with other code, etc) and usually, management is responsible for stuff like this. They might not agree, they might even be prevented from doing their best job because of management restrictions.

Either way, it's not entirely fair to blame them.
                      When the meteor came crashing to Earth, I bet the dinosaurs were roaring at it in the hope of scaring it away. That didn’t work out so well for them. - Matt.

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

It's important to remember what Paul M said about alphas and betas, the meaning is slightly different to the norm:

Alpha: Non-public
                        Beta: Public

That's all the beta label currently means here - it's moved into a "public" phase.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• sadiq6210
                          • Jun 2004
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                          It's important to remember what Paul M said about alphas and betas, the meaning is slightly different to the norm:

That's all the beta label currently means here - it's moved into a "public" phase.
                          So, when it became public it should be Beta1 not Beta10
                          I know everyday you release a beta but refer to that rule you should continue with alpha until you release it public where you name it (Beta1) the first release for the public, not Beta10

Anyhow, I wish Beta 11 can change our impression about vb5 performance
                          Signature test :)

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by sadiq6210
                            So, when it became public it should be Beta1 not Beta10
                            I know everyday you release a beta but refer to that rule you should continue with alpha until you release it public where you name it (Beta1) the first release for the public.
                            There is a valid reason why it's that way, however it's for staff to explain, not me. Absolutely nothing sinister though, I can say that much.
                            It may even have been mentioned publicly already but I can't be certain...so....Click image for larger version

Name:	censored.gif
Views:	1
Size:	667 Bytes
ID:	3690300
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------
                            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• jerde
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2010
                              • 4.2.X

I could care less about the semantics of how they define a alpha/beta. Releasing it into the public as it is, is a total disgrace. And to charge on top of it just puts the icing on the cake.

I will not be upgrading to vB5. We will be looking to transfer our vB4 forum to IPB where we can have a better CMS type system and an overall better experience.

Comment

• Sador
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 3.8.x

I'm going to enjoy seeing you explain the gold release meaning.
                                When the meteor came crashing to Earth, I bet the dinosaurs were roaring at it in the hope of scaring it away. That didn’t work out so well for them. - Matt.

Comment