X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by digitalpoint
    The thread redirects appear to be using the wrong HTTP code... meaning old link juice will not flow properly.

They are using 302 (temporary movement) instead of 301 (permanent).
    If you can provide me with some more detailed info, I'll get it entered into the bug tracker to be resolved.

Comment

• digitalpoint
      • Mar 2004
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
      If you can provide me with some more detailed info, I'll get it entered into the bug tracker to be resolved.
      That *is* all the info... I don't have access to source code so I don't know exactly what file/where it would need to be changed, but it's definitely doing it...

Code:
      [b][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Lion:~ shawn$[/COLOR][/b] [B]curl -I 'https://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/forum/main-forum/1082-loremsdfiuewlhdfg-ipsum-to-ya-all'[/B]
      HTTP/1.1 302 Found
      Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 17:44:34 GMT
      Set-Cookie: bb_; path=/; httponly
      Location: https://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/forum/main-forum/1082-lorem-ipsum-to-ya-all
      Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
      Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

That is bad and weird. I'll see what I can do about that. We don't have any upgrade data there. I've made note on my desk to test the ids after a test upgrade a bit later today.
        I'll also report the weird http headers regardless.

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by sadikb
          Apparently the developers of VB5 did not know that MySQL primary key ids, even if they are autonumbered, can be inserted at random, provided there are no duplicates. Really the epic level of failures here are beyond words... I really am at a loss of words here to explain what really has just happened with VB5
          Try not to be a complete tool.
          Of course they are aware of the fact, its not relevant since there WILL be duplicates, everything is a node, forums, blogs, threads, posts etc, so there would be multiple clashes.
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Ramsesx
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.8.x

I am totally shocked, speechless and could cry. I hope it's just a dream.

Comment

• doctorsexy
              • May 2011

Im sorry but very disappointing... its slow and very dull looking will be sticking with vb4 until it gets 100% better ..and i was looking forward to it ...
              http://opensezme.co.uk/

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by sadikb
                Apparently yes -> https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post2334242

Apparently the developers of VB5 did not know that MySQL primary key ids, even if they are autonumbered, can be inserted at random, provided there are no duplicates. Really the epic level of failures here are beyond words... I really am at a loss of words here to explain what really has just happened with VB5
                Tables are completely different. There are no thread, post, blog, etc... tables. Even if the same IDs were kept there would be collisions. Which ID #1 do you take? Blog, Forum, Social Group, Thread?
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• sadikb
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  Tables are completely different. There are no thread, post, blog, etc... tables. Even if the same IDs were kept there would be collisions. Which ID #1 do you take? Blog, Forum, Social Group, Thread?
                  Yeah Zachery explained that and I replied -> https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post2335960

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Paul M
                  Try not to be a complete tool.
                  Of course they are aware of the fact, its not relevant since there WILL be duplicates, everything is a node, forums, blogs, threads, posts etc, so there would be multiple clashes.
                  Not trying to be a tool. It was a statement of exasperation given what VB5 turns out to be and the hopes we had.

Anyways, at the time of making the comment, I did not recall that the various content types were now using a single node table. Still like I said elsewhere, at least the thread ids could have been preserved saving on at least 80% of mapping overheads for most sites. Like I said elsewhere, I am not a fan of the single node table. If for some reason, all data is really required in an aggregated view, I would create a materialized view with auto-refresh from the individual tables. But yes, a case can be made for a single node table for multiple data types, but for an application like VBulletin and with such vast dependence of IDs for so many things, I wouldn;t have taken the call.
                  Owner: Oracle Forums - General Discussion Forums.

Comment

• cellarius
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    I know this would be not the funniest task, but there needs to be found a way in the router to translate old incoming links to whatever ressource to new ones. Could probably be done on the basis of filenames. If you're not providing it yourself, at least make sure all old id information is kept in a legacy id column, along with a legacy content type column in the node table. So that third parties at least have the chance to come up with a solution.

Comment

• hawkerau
                      • Oct 2007

I'm hoping the speed is just an issue with everyone trying to get on, because I can't even load the front page at this point. Not the best start...

I still feel that the activity stream (even on VB4) is a waste of time. It always seems to slow things down, especially for bigger communities. This can all be achieved with a side bar with latest posts / blogs etc etc... That always seemed pretty fast.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cellarius
                        I know this would be not the funniest task, but there needs to be found a way in the router to translate old incoming links to whatever ressource to new ones. Could probably be done on the basis of filenames. If you're not providing it yourself, at least make sure all old id information is kept in a legacy id column, along with a legacy content type column in the node table. So that third parties at least have the chance to come up with a solution.
                        Yeah... The system should already be doing this when it converts the data it records the type of URL and allows for redirects from your old URL style to the new URL.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Paul M
                          Former Lead Developer
                          vB.Com & vB.Org
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by cellarius
                          All nodes in an upgraded forum have a record of the old content type and id.
                          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Hall of Famer
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 3.8.x

umm I personally dont think VB5 is that much impressive, but it's about as good as VB4 so I won't say its that bad either. I guess people have sky-high expectation for VB5, something that cannot be helped after what VB promised for their new product?

Anyway, I believe it's not professional for VB support staff to call members 'tools' on this website over arguments. You are a service provider, and moreover we've paid hundreds of dollars for your product. We have every right to complain, although nowadays I won't recommend flaming wars since it won't help anything. I do, however, get rather upset over glitches and flaws that have been brought up like more than a year ago but yet to be fixed, good example was the who's online page when a user was miraculously viewing his/her own VMs. It happened about a year ago I guess, hopefully this time you guys can do better.

Comment

• Sador
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Hall of Famer
                              Anyway, I believe it's not professional for VB support staff to call members 'tools' on this website over arguments. You are a service provider, and moreover we've paid hundreds of dollars for your product. We have every right to complain, although nowadays I won't recommend flaming wars since it won't help anything. I do, however, get rather upset over glitches and flaws that have been brought up like more than a year ago but yet to be fixed, good example was the who's online page when a user was miraculously viewing his/her own VMs. It happened about a year ago I guess, hopefully this time you guys can do better.
                              You can apparently nowadays also get banned over "arguing with staff", which I thought was an interesting development. I'm not sure when disagreeing with something is something you can get banned for, though.
                              When the meteor came crashing to Earth, I bet the dinosaurs were roaring at it in the hope of scaring it away. That didn’t work out so well for them. - Matt.

Comment

• Warden
                                • Mar 2007
                                • 3.8.x

Not worth forking over $200 for something that should be a discounted upgrade for suite licenses, like vB4 was when we all were using 3.8.

Comment