VB5 Demo Feedback

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Princeton
    • Sep 2001

Ugh! Totally disappointed. I grade the whole experience a D. It still needs a lot of work.

Speed is horrible - I'm hoping this is a server or script issue.

Why include Latest Activity and My Subscriptions content on loading main page? Leave it off. It requires a lot more resources to create. On top of that, it will require additional browser rendering time (javascript/css/etc). Just imagine loading time on large forums.

Most of this content will be ignored (not seen) by visitors. I recommend displaying/fetching content only when the user clicks to view it. (The same applies on the profile page. Fetching so much for nothing.)

When viewing the Topics listing: What's more important - the topic titles or last reply?

Who's idea was it to include a mini avatar on the Last Post column? Huge mistake. The avatars are calling for attention. It will confuse your readers. It will feel even worse when people start uploading avatars. All the colors will draw more attention to them. I would rather have all the focus on the side where the titles are located.

Breadcrumbs are poor

Right now they look like a subnav. Dress it up and make it clear to your readers.

Too many Javascript calls - for almost everything

Keep it simple ... ajax is great when submitting/updating but it's not great when going page to page ... we also don't need all these fancy options ... it just makes everything slow

Design

Overall I like the design but it feels cold. Soften it up by increasing border radius.

Nested Post Comments - Love this feature!!

Statistics Column in Topics view ... it's really hard to follow - one has to focus specifically on the column to read number of posts and vote count (vs a quick scan) ... a simple 1-5 star image would be a huge improvement for those who favors topic ratings

Ugh!
    Liquid Layout = Less Ad Revenue?
    How to Monetize Your Site

More features does NOT equal progress (Less is More)

Administrator:
    vBulletin.org - #1 Community for vBulletin Modifications
    allnurses.com - #1 Community for Nurses

Comment

• acwatts
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.8.x

Shocking.

Comment

• sadikb
        • Mar 2009

Well among all the doom and gloom, I must say one notable exception is the attachment uploader. Really nice. There was no need for a start Upload button though. Should have been automatic.
        Owner: Oracle Forums - General Discussion Forums.

Comment

• zascok
          • Jul 2012
          • 3.8.x

Here is a bag for you. I can't belive you are calling that thing Beta. Just got registered as 007, Forum shows my account as 7 only.

Have fun I got a live to live instead of testing that things for you.

Comment

• sadikb
            • Mar 2009

Am I right in understanding that even Forums and thread IDs are changed on upgrade? Is redirect working yet?

Comment

• Lizard King
              Banned
              • Mar 2004
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by sadikb
              Am I right in understanding that even Forums and thread IDs are changed on upgrade? Is redirect working yet?
              Is this for real ?

Comment

• sadikb
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Lizard King
                Is this for real ?
                Apparently yes -> https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post2334242

Apparently the developers of VB5 did not know that MySQL primary key ids, even if they are autonumbered, can be inserted at random, provided there are no duplicates. Really the epic level of failures here are beyond words... I really am at a loss of words here to explain what really has just happened with VB5

Comment

• digitalpoint
                  • Mar 2004
                  • 4.1.x

Uh... I really hope this isn't the case. Would be super awesome to lose the 100,000,000 or so links we have to threads and forums and the like. lol
                  Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                  Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Andy
                    • Jan 2002
                    • 4.1.x

Apparently yes -> https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post2334242

Apparently the developers of VB5 did not know that MySQL primary key ids, even if they are autonumbered, can be inserted at random, provided there are no duplicates. Really the epic level of failures here are beyond words... I really am at a loss of words here to explain what really has just happened with VB5
                    This is really bad news for anyone considering upgrading to vB5.

Comment

I would hope that could be fixed before a release candidate came out, but maybe not? As long as the entities were imported first, and then set the auto_increment for the table maybe?

Or maybe have a tool to automatically create rewrite rules?

Comment

• dethfire
                        • Mar 2003
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Andy
                        This is really bad news for anyone considering upgrading to vB5.
                        If this is true, there is no chance I'll ever upgrade.
                        http://www.physicsforums.com

Comment

• Alfa1
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 3.8.x

All in all my impression of vb5 is an anticlimax and at the current time I find it very lame and in several respects even horrible. Hopefully we will see a lot of improvements and substantial releases in the coming 6 months. I would not consider this product unless it gets the similar amount of improvement that took place between vb4.0.0 and vb4.2.1 (2009 -2012)
                          This beta release really reminds me of how vb4 beta was in terms of performance, polish, bugs, poor UI.

Some quick remarks:

• Post comments in forums is new. Im not sure what its for. Looks confusing to me, as people will comment to old posts and no one will see it or respond to it.
                          • If this replaces the quote feature then that will cause a lot of trouble. This alone would be a reason not to use vb5.
                          • Forumdisplay seems to load without caching which takes a lot of time. I wonder how that will work if I unleash 10.000 users on it.
                          • Groups simply doesnt work. If I try browsing it it redirects to forum home.
                          • Why on earth are photo's shown in a forum, instead of in a separate gallery tab?
                          • The activity stream is still not useful as in vb4, because it does not contain useful data, lots of superfluous space and confusing layout. I do nto see how this is supposed to work for medium to large sites with lots of activity.
                          • Why is there no notifications grid? Have you not seen facebook? Tickboxes are not very useful when there are multiple types of notifications. (email, PUSH, on site, etc) What if I want email notifications for some events, but not for others, while I want on site notifications for everything?
                          • Where are the friends / contacts functions? Are there no friends in vb5?
                          • As a forum user vb5 does not motivate me to use it at all. On the contrary: it demotivates me from using it as its counter-intuitive in many respects.
                          Last edited by Alfa1; Wed 12 Sep '12, 9:36am.
                          I buy 420 forums

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                            • Jul 2008

I just tested and using the same URL from my live site... showthread.php/530-vBulletin-50-Preview it redirected me to the correct thread on my upgraded beta install.

Comment

• digitalpoint
                              • Mar 2004
                              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Joe D.
                              I just tested and using the same URL from my live site... showthread.php/530-vBulletin-50-Preview it redirected me to the correct thread on my upgraded beta install.
                              The thread redirects appear to be using the wrong HTTP code... meaning old link juice will not flow properly.

They are using 302 (temporary movement) instead of 301 (permanent).
                              Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                              Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• sadikb
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by digitalpoint
                                The thread redirects appear to be using the wrong HTTP code... meaning old link juice will not flow properly.

They are using 302 (temporary movement) instead of 301 (permanent).
                                Lol... really...

On the brighter side, at least the vb5 demo has provided us all with some good laughs.

Comment