X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by DirtRider
    Well I never did it because I was not that interested in the workaround at the time
    Not really a workaround. It is using the features of the software to build the site you wish to build.

Same in vBulletin 5. You don't have to use the activity streams, you can turn them off.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      • Aug 2000

Well this is the thing what we seeing on the demo site is so limited that you have no idea what site builder can really do or for that matter what the forum software can do.
      have you looked at the new demo?

What would you like to see?

Wayne Luke
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• DirtRider
        • Apr 2009
        • 4.2.X

Thought I would test out the blog feature but am unable to create a blog. Go through all the steps publish and then get taken back to the start of creating blogs, go into my blogs and nothing

Comment

• Kirk Fitzgerald
          • Apr 2012
          • 4.2.x

I was getting logged out every time I used the navbar yesterday, sadly the site is down just now with a message from IB in its place.
          sigpic

Comment

• DirtRider
            • Apr 2009
            • 4.2.X

The more I play on the demo site the more disappointed I become so maybe it's time to just leave it all alone

Comment

• AlexanderT
              • Mar 2003

I am curious what IB makes of all of this? The overall feedback can hardly be described as favorable, and it's not just concerning small issues that could be fixed from beta instance to the next. Are we going to see any official response from IB?

Comment

• kyson46
                • Jul 2003
                • 5.0.X

I like this style of vB5~~

Comment

• Ace
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                  and it's not just concerning small issues that could be fixed from beta instance to the next.
                  What issues in particular do you think can't be addressed?
                  My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                  vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• AlexanderT
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                    I am curious what IB makes of all of this? The overall feedback can hardly be described as favorable, and it's not just concerning small issues that could be fixed from beta instance to the next. Are we going to see any official response from IB?
                    Originally posted by Ace
                    What issues in particular do you think can't be addressed?
                    Examples:

- Unusable without Javascript support
                    - 100+ queries per page (which is deemed as OK by IB developers)
                    - horrendously bloated markup

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Thought I would test out the blog feature but am unable to create a blog. Go through all the steps publish and then get taken back to the start of creating blogs, go into my blogs and nothing
                      Publish on the first step right now.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• DirtRider
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        Publish on the first step right now.
                        Let me go try again then.

Edit - No chance it will not work for me

1. Click on Blogs
                        2. Members Blog
                        3. Blog +
                        4. Edit the title and description for your blog as displayed to visitors. Title
                        5. Description
                        6. Blog Icon - Uploaded
                        7. Options - Automatically parse links in text (yes)
                        8. Publish

Ok it actualy worked each time now that I finally managed to work out how to see my own Blog
                        Last edited by DirtRider; Wed 19 Sep '12, 6:14am.

Comment

• Solitaire
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 4.0.x

OKAAAY!, so the newly launched demo is a much better presentation. Wayne was totally right, and they should have lead off with a much more stylized demo than the bare bones one they pushed out. Still there are glaring things that need to be fixed for me to even consider purchasing this.

The blogs are probably my greatest concern right now. They are hard to navigate, and they look absolutely no different than the forum. In fact, the second time around trying to publish a blog and then go to view my blog and post was more difficult than the first time. Why isn't there a link to your blog on your profile Like there was with Vb4? On a busy forum, having it get lost in the activity stream is not the solution. You should be able to navigate to your blog quickly and make a post. Blogs are like an administrators gift to their most active and most creative users to have their own personal space, and I don't see how this is encouraging people to create content with the blogs in the state that they are. I also do not like that if you change the settings on the filter, you have to change them every time you go in. If you want to view just new topics only you have to change it to that every time, and their should be a way to set it to that permanently unless you decide to change it again.

I do like the photo forum tab. It really shows how you can transform your standard forum into something different. I like the idea of channels. Definitely gives a more social feel. The problem is the loading of forums, and switching tabs. I still have to hold off on this being resolved and not being decided to be "as designed."

Also still waiting to see the CMS because that is the biggest thing for me and the main reason I bought vb4. Sorry, I'm not like the old guard that thinks that vb3 was the pinnacle of success. I totally believe that vb4 is a more advanced product and version 4.2 I felt rewarded me for the 3 years I put into developing my site and for the investment that I made. I think that forum software as a standalone is dead, and if you want just a forum then you are better off with some mediocre product like SMF or phpBB because nobody is gonna care if all they want is a forum.

But if you wanted something innovative that could control every aspect of a social website, that was what vb4 was supposed to be. I wish it didn't take them 3 years to get where 4.2 is, and seeing the state of vb5 now, makes me think that upgrading would be a huge downgrade for my site. After getting my site to where I think it needs to be, with only other minor esthetics left, I just still can not see any benefit in upgrading at this time. vb4 is still the superior product, and I would be crazy to upgrade and lose my lifetime ticket support (even though I think I only needed it in the first month of vb4 anyway, and then again to transfer licenses which is now not allowed.) $40 bucks for my old licenses is ridiculous, and I don't think that could be said enough. Especially when vb4 is the most stable it has ever been. What should have been done is that forum only license holders should have gotten the $40 bucks discount, and suite customers should have gotten at least an $80 bucks discount if you guys were planning to bridge the gap and just offer one product.

I can't even see the benefit in getting a new license to use vb4 (even though it is cheaper now) and to test vb5 because if I build a site in 4.2 it is just going to be a headache to upgrade to vb5, and lose all of the link building work I put into it, and search engine rerouting is not going to help you maintain your ranking.

I am hoping that vb5 will become the the social community building product that the marketing department is touting it to be. I am curious as to if we are on the release schedule they outlined already, and if this beta is the first release, and we can expect a bug fix release around 4-5 weeks from now, and then the CMS will be out 6 weeks from that? Or is that release schedule based on when the gold release will be available(which we haven't been given an approximate, unless we are still saying end of year), which will mean that the gold release will not have the CMS?
                          Vote for my suggestions here and here

Comment

• rudedog1968
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 3.8.x

Has the demo page gotten slower?
                            Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by rudedog1968
                              Has the demo page gotten slower?
                              There is some sort of initial latency between first request and first response. It is outside the software though as far as I can tell and both Chrome and Firefox seem to confirm that.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Solitaire
                                OKAAAY!, so the newly launched demo is a much better presentation. Wayne was totally right, and they should have lead off with a much more stylized demo than the bare bones one they pushed out. Still there are glaring things that need to be fixed for me to even consider purchasing this.
                                Not going to quote the entire message.

Thank you for the feedback. I have forwarded it on to the management team.

Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment