X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoHighVoltage
    • Dec 2010
    • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    The demo site isn't as well thought out as it could be. It should have more content, structure and so forth so you can really see how things fit together. Otherwise it is just a big mess of space. I am going to have to think about this, and send off a proposal. Hopefully we can get it working more akin to a real site and maybe a different view will be had.

This isn't to discount the feedback in the thread or the performance issues we're having. Just I think a better presentation can be given.

Wayne, I think you are exactly right. Fill it with content and give it the "forum" look. I am lost with such an empty demo. Thanks!

Comment

• napy8gen
      • Jul 2001
      • 6.X

Originally posted by digitalpoint
      Who was the genius that thought no less than FOURTY CSS CLASSES on a single HTML tag was a good idea? lol

Code:
      <html id="htmlTag" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:fb="http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml" xml:lang="en-US" lang="en-US" dir="ltr" class=" js flexbox no-touch hashchange history rgba hsla multiplebgs backgroundsize borderimage borderradius boxshadow textshadow opacity cssanimations csscolumns cssgradients cssreflections csstransforms csstransforms3d csstransitions fontface generatedcontent cookies no-bgpositionshorthand cssfilters lastchild boxsizing mediaqueries no-overflowscrolling cssremunit subpixelfont pointerevents cssresize cssscrollbar filereader placeholder fileinput formvalidation no-firefox">
      vb5 enter the World Guinness book of record.

Too slow for a small demo forum.
      Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

I've added some forums...

Please try resizing the window of your browser. Try table and phone widths.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Andy
          • Jan 2002
          • 4.1.x

Wayne how many database tables does vB5 have?

Comment

• Joe Blow
            • Jul 2004
            • 3.6.x

vB 5.0.0 makes vB 4.0.0 look like vB 4.2.0.

It really is that bad.

Comment

• nez
              • Jun 2011
              • 4.1.x

Thank you for the demo. But the slow speeds are terrible, should have waited for a decent version before realeasing to the public. You demo videos now look fake compared to the actual demo version.

Comment

• Mirical Bernd
                • Mar 2002
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                The demo site isn't as well thought out as it could be. It should have more content, structure and so forth so you can really see how things fit together. Otherwise it is just a big mess of space. I am going to have to think about this, and send off a proposal. Hopefully we can get it working more akin to a real site and maybe a different view will be had.
                That doesn't address all the other poor thought things: The changes in the database, which is a mess for real big boards like ours (over 3.5 million postings). The changes again in the designs, which is a real mess to us, as we spent 1 month to develop our more than 70 designs in our forum. The lack of core-features, which is a real mess, as you cannot accept a product which has less features than the old one.

Just don't waste any more time on the demo. Go back to the drawing board, start from scratch and really take a look on the concerns of the people using the software. As I alreay stated: We won't change to vB 5 if it stays the way it is at this very moment. Especially if the database changes stay the way they are. We are running a discussionboard for gods sake. Not a blog, not a CMS, not some other things. The blogs and the CMS are just side-effects. It stays the biggest discussionboards for comicbooks in Germany. And if other competitors recognize this and have means for converting to their board-software, so shall it be. If we already have to do bigger changes than we will rather go to a software which has a future. As vBulletin doesn't have it, if you don't pull the plug on the crappy demo and on the crappy development you are doing right now.

Have you realised how many people posted that they or clients are making the decision or have made the decision to turn to IPB in the last hours? That should alarm all of you. That should bring to your attention that the problem is not explaining the changes. The problem are the changes to the software. The problem is the crappy management-decisions.

I have been a loyal customer. 10 years we are running our board on vBulletin. As I am webmaster of many sites I have always recommended vBulletin to my clients if they needed a discussionboard. At this very moment I won't do this any longer as I don't see a development direction which I can recommend to my clients. And I will base the decision if this opinion will change on your and your decisions alone. If you pull the plug and start over again, I am going to overthing it again. If you don't I am going the evaluate any other discussionboard-software that is out there and recommend the best of it. If you don't pull the plug vBulletin is no longer the industry leading discussionboard. It will die.

I am certainly not going to buy this version in order to evaluate it. If you really want feedback from your customers: Give them the Beta for free. Apart of the poor decisions, this was the worst mistake. Even Microsoft who tend to monetize beta-like versions knew, that they had to keep their real Betas for free. I tend to call the one who made the decision that we have to pay for the access to the beta an idiot. To say the least...

Comment

• AlexanderT
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mirical Bernd
                  Just don't waste any more time on the demo. Go back to the drawing board, start from scratch and really take a look on the concerns of the people using the software.
                  No way this is going to happen. How long has the current vB5 been under development? It's been quite a while.

Comment

• zascok
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 3.8.x

I will say this this again: Try to register a nickname with 0 (zeros) on the front. e.g. 00010

Comment

• sadiq6210
                      • Jun 2004
                      • 3.6.x

VB5 project is available in Jira now

1657 is confirmed

I wish we can clear it faster than what I see in Beta change log

We don't want to repeat what happened in vb4
                      Signature test :)

Comment

• goxy63
                        • Sep 2008

Looks clean and different, very slow....guess upgrade will be major trouble
                        For me its very important that transition is easy and that all content especially articles will be easy to move....

Last time with vb4 it was lots of troubles, guess here will be even more when we migrate to vb5
                        Discount for upgrade of 30 bucks is just not good, as a old customer we should get more discount also if purchased one more licence or such...in this time when world economy is as it is I don't think that many of us will purchase new version...most of us have non profit sites...
                        Think will stick for some time with vb4, I don't need this mess right now :[

Comment

• Deverill
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 4.1.x

I can't even register on the demo, it says the passwords must match. I can assure you that they do.

So now what am I meant to do? I would like to have a play with it.

Comment

• alex902602
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 4.2.X

What a complete mess. I'm still not fully satisfied with vB4. This makes vB4 look alot better. You really should listen to your customers when making updates to vB. The discount is not even worth using. Sorry guys I'm not convinced. If anything I'd rather move to Xenforo.

Comment

• serhatyilmaz
                              • Aug 2006
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by joeychgo
                              It is beta though Mert, dont forget that. Remember how bad the initial vb3 beta was?
                              And I also remember how good the initial xenforo beta was.

vb 5 is not promising at all. Honestly it is terrible.

Comment

• Syxguns
                                • Aug 2011
                                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by serhatyilmaz
                                And I also remember how good the initial xenforo beta was.

vb 5 is not promising at all. Honestly it is terrible.
                                I couldn't agree more with that comment. I would just like to add that the additions to vB5 and the changes that we are accustomed to with vB4, really bites the bullet for many of us with custom add-ons!

Let's see:
                                Take some code, make a few visual changes, remove all current modifications from being able to work, change the templates, and add a couple of whoo hooo features that is suppose to sell, and leave the rest of the loyal family paying more money?

Comment