Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Replicant
    • Sep 2014

Complete Documentation would alleviate alot of support questions and isues

While I am fairly new to forum software, I cannot express how much complete documentation would help with the development of VB5. While trying to build my site making it do what I envision, I keep running into the same wall. How do I implement this? I search and find all the info I need for VB4. I have VB5. VB4 seems to be well documented.

Are there any plans to implement documentation like this or are we to search for variables and functions every time we try to do something "different". I have been using open software for 14 years and have not had as many problem getting something done as I have with VB5. We need more info. Are there any plans to release the info?

• Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

The current manual does have a lot of vB5 stuff in it, make sure you have the dropdown box set to a vB5 version.

Also check the Articles section on here, there's a lot of vB5 stuff in there.

It isn't viable or practical to document every single process though, and then maintain that and keep it up to date. Documentation takes a LONG time to write properly, and realistically has to be a collaboration between people who can write *professional* user friendly guides, and people who have the technical know how to use the product - because usually people who can do one can't also do the other. Hence it can be time consuming and expensive.

That's not to say the current situation couldn't be improved though.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• jdj
      • Jan 2009
      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
      Also check the Articles section on here, there's a lot of vB5 stuff in there.
      If you go to the articles section and look at the categories widget on the right hand side, then choose vbulletin 5, vbulletin 5 tutorials then hardly any articles come up. I doubt there is much on vB5 in the articles section because most of it appears to be about vB4; so if there is a lot of vBulletin 5 stuff there then it's been wrongly categorised.

Comment

• jdj
        • Jan 2009
        • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Replicant
        While I am fairly new to forum software, I cannot express how much complete documentation would help with the development of VB5. While trying to build my site making it do what I envision, I keep running into the same wall. How do I implement this? I search and find all the info I need for VB4. I have VB5. VB4 seems to be well documented.

Are there any plans to implement documentation like this or are we to search for variables and functions every time we try to do something "different". I have been using open software for 14 years and have not had as many problem getting something done as I have with VB5. We need more info. Are there any plans to release the info?
        Can you post the link to this location on vBulletin.com where you found this list?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

The above screen shot is the API for vbulletin 4 and has always been located at members.vbulletin.com/api. It isn't relevant to vBulletin 5 at all. We've been trying to get the vBulletin 5 API published by the developers for a long time.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment