Bring back all the features you had in 4!!!! (Doesnt upgrade mean keep old features and add more or better?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rahstyles.com
    • Apr 2010

Bring back all the features you had in 4!!!! (Doesnt upgrade mean keep old features and add more or better?)

How you guys gonna leave the refferal look up in search user.. but theres no refferal options? How you guys gonna leave the password feature on forums out??

Theres soo many things.. i already had a vbulletin 4 license and i decided to come back and pay for the upgrade to five thinking it was better.. How you gonna leave old features out and call it an upgrade?

Come on boss... i dont wanna have to go with xenforo..
  • TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

It is planned that some of the old features will come back to vB5. Look for "feature parity" and "vB 5" in JIRA, currently this shows 122 unresolved entries.

Other old features (such as the password protected forums) won't come back. They say those are not needed anymore as you can hide forums based on usergroup permissions. Well, I heard of people who do not agree with this...

Comment

• durruti
      • Jan 2012
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Rahstyles.com
      How you guys gonna leave the refferal look up in search user.. but theres no refferal options? How you guys gonna leave the password feature on forums out??

Theres soo many things.. i already had a vbulletin 4 license and i decided to come back and pay for the upgrade to five thinking it was better.. How you gonna leave old features out and call it an upgrade?

Come on boss... i dont wanna have to go with xenforo..
      Didn't you just installed vB5?

Originally posted by TLMD
      It is planned that some of the old features will come back to vB5. Look for "feature parity" and "vB 5" in JIRA, currently this shows 122 unresolved entries.

Other old features (such as the password protected forums) won't come back. They say those are not needed anymore as you can hide forums based on usergroup permissions. Well, I heard of people who do not agree with this...
      Lets face it, as far as I know up until this very day, the only reason (read: excuse) given for any feature parity excluded is "very little people use it".
      That's all, nothing else and certainly nothing as you said.
      There is no reason to demand an old feature to comeback if a better replacement is provided.
      Yet as far as I know, this is not the case at all.

Comment

• TLMD
        • Sep 2012
        • 5.6.X

Originally posted by durruti
        as far as I know up until this very day, the only reason (read: excuse) given for any feature parity excluded is "very little people use it".
        That's all, nothing else and certainly nothing as you said.
        I can't speak for every feature-parity issue that is listed in JIRA. However password-protected forums (my example) were excluded from vB5 due to the reason (or "excuse", as you call it) I mentioned. Whether or not one wants to agree with this is a different story...

Comment

• durruti
          • Jan 2012
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by TLMD

I can't speak for every feature-parity issue that is listed in JIRA. However password-protected forums (my example) were excluded from vB5 due to the reason (or "excuse", as you call it) I mentioned. Whether or not one wants to agree with this is a different story...
          I'm not talking about password protected forum.
          It's a non issue, user just need to be told to do it differently but still give out the same result.
          I'm talking about tons of other feature parity issues that somehow escapes your memories.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Make sure you vote and voice your issues with the features that are missing in jira, they help us know which are important.

The password protected forums were kind of a bad feature, it was never really fully implemented in 3/4. The biggest issue is that password sharing was easily possible, instantly defeating the password protection. Usergroup permissions are much better than that.

Comment

• TLMD
              • Sep 2012
              • 5.6.X

I'm not talking about password protected forum. [...] I'm talking about tons of other feature parity issues that somehow escapes your memories.
              They did not, as you can clearly see in my first response where not only I show a way to list them, but also say that -- as far as I know -- there are currently 122 issues tagged with "feature parity". I didn't say anything about my personal opinion on this topic. Instead I mentioned that one can have a different opinion about what should (or shouldn't) come back to vB5.

And as Zachery stated above: Entering stuff in JIRA and voting is the best way to give feedback. There is no guarantee that things will be considered just based on votes. However, if nothing is done at all, then it is guaranteed that nothing will happen/change.

Comment

• durruti
                • Jan 2012
                • 4.1.x

All of us, lets just face reality, after all these years, we know all too well the pattern already.
                They are not going to listen to the customers if the votes and the voices are not in line with their road map.
                Especially when their time and manpower are limited to begin with.

Do I even need to show a proof?
                Calender is the highest voted among popular issues and with lots of voices supporting it.
                Does IB care?

All I can remember were replies ranging from unlikeliness for it to happen, how it is allegedly seldom used and even an offered alternative using Google Calender.

Comment

• Rahstyles.com
                  • Apr 2010

Okay first of all... what the heck is jira? That sounds like Narutos teacher... Anyways.. the password feature is bomb... I use it for my mod and admin only forum. I give the pass to my mods and admins... If they give it out.. no big deal.. i just make a new pass... And its cool because when other members try to get it.. it asks for a password.. and they get all curious and want the password... and i tell them to post more topics and bring more referalls and ill reward them with a special password.. You cant do that with the permissions!!! That makes it boring... I want them to be able to see the post count and i want them to see the catigory.. just no able to get in... forum perms cant do that...

And they did not replace anything to make it better.. they just left it out!

Comment

• TLMD
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 5.6.X

Okay first of all... what the heck is jira?
                    When you are logged in, click on "Tracker" in the navbar or follow this link.

Comment

• durruti
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 4.1.x

Okay first of all... what the heck is jira? That sounds like Narutos teacher... Anyways.. the password feature is bomb... I use it for my mod and admin only forum. I give the pass to my mods and admins... If they give it out.. no big deal.. i just make a new pass... And its cool because when other members try to get it.. it asks for a password.. and they get all curious and want the password... and i tell them to post more topics and bring more referalls and ill reward them with a special password.. You cant do that with the permissions!!! That makes it boring... I want them to be able to see the post count and i want them to see the catigory.. just no able to get in... forum perms cant do that...

And they did not replace anything to make it better.. they just left it out!
                      Good point!

But you only have two options now since the feature isn't gonna be back:
                      a. Accept it.
                      b. Use other software.

Comment

• jdj
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 5.1.x

Calender is the highest voted among popular issues and with lots of voices supporting it.
                        Does IB care?

All I can remember were replies ranging from unlikeliness for it to happen, how it is allegedly seldom used and even an offered alternative using Google Calender.
                        I'm not very convinced by the answer that few people use the calendar. We use it and were able to make more of a success of using it when vb3 turned into vb4 and we could create a tab to it. Real people don't just sit behind computer screens - whether it's for a hobby, for business or social reasons they go places and do things at given times - an events calendar or diary is such a basic feature and I cannot see why anybody would not want it and be voting for it.
                        Last edited by jdj; Mon 14 Jul '14, 6:27am.

Comment

• durruti
                          durruti commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I don't believe their claim in a second, lol.
                      • Rahstyles.com
                        • Apr 2010

Good point!

But you only have two options now since the feature isn't gonna be back:
                        a. Accept it.
                        b. Use other software.

We should make a option c.. Make them bring it back or strike!

Comment

• durruti
                          durruti commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not gonna happen, people already went through that option and nothing change.
                          You either have to live with it or move on.
                      • Paul M
                        Former Lead Developer
                        vB.Com & vB.Org
                        • Sep 2004

If you require all the features in vb4, then use vb4, thats why a choice is provided.
                        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Rahstyles.com
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Paul M
                          If you require all the features in vb4, then use vb4, thats why a choice is provided.
                          Because i like new stuff.. Why would i drive a 2000 benz when i have a 2014 benz??? I like the shiney new interface of vb5 but i like the extra cup holders the twin turbo.. on the vb4

VB4 = 2005 Mercedez bens sl55 amg v8 superchared VB5= 2014 hybrid mercedes benz sl500

Dude make the vb5 AMG!! Supercharged!!!

YOu get my drift?

Comment