Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Thoughts on Floating Bar...

Thoughts on this floating bar?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

I do like the floating bar, but right now it just blends into the browser window (which is why I like the dark one in your image) and it also isn't consistently used (it doesn't show up in a search). I think the background color of the bar should have it's own stylevar so the admin can easily set the background color for it, but by default it should be dark so it is more obvious than it is now.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• IggyP
      IggyP commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah i like using dark skins personally so def nice to be able to choose color for this
  • In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

I like the idea. It'd be nice to have the option to place it in the sidebar or at the foot of the page as well as in the header / navbar area.

Comment

• rhens
      • Sep 2012

thank-you. all i can say is "its about time". saying something useful......i notice there is no "post reply" button anymore. probably a good omission seeing as how each individual post has this built in. per prosportsforums comment....it would be nice to have location be an option...although i prefer it at the top

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

It is an enhancement of the existing floating toolbar. Not sure what you mean by options to move it. It isn't really fixed on the screen.

Here is a before image before it scrolls the tool bar scrolls off the page:

The image above is what it looks like after it scrolls off the page. It isn't in the header per se.

Though I personally think a 32 pixel high version of the site's logo should be on the left site.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
          In Omnibus commented
          Editing a comment
          Can it be made to float anywhere on the page? Or is the location fixed?
      • glennrocksvb
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

Is the new floating bar based on my vB5 Floating Bar user script extension?

Screencast here:
        Video 1
        Video 2 (with Subscribe/Unsubcribe button)

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

This is your extension actually Glenn. In order to propose changes and get them through the system, I am looking for feedback and using your extension as an example.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TLMD
          • Sep 2012
          • 5.6.X

What I like:
          • Getting rid of the field to enter a page manually. No one needs this, if there is proper pagination.
          • Putting the Subscribe/Unsubscribe button into the floating bar. This saves space above.

What I don't like:
          • The color. Please don't make the floating bar too dark. (I know this can be changed manually, but I am talking about the default values here.)
          • The size. The attached floating bar goes across the whole screen. I don't know if I am a friend of that.

What I miss:
          • A "Go to first unread post"-button in the floating bar.
          • A "To the top"-button. Currently I only see it in the screenshot with the attached floating bar.
          • The search field (for searches within a topic).

Comment

• IggyP
            IggyP commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 esp the "what i miss" features
        • Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

In a topic view, the "Post Reply" button is needed for the multiquote functionality (not that this is currently working perfectly but for when it does).

The Post Reply button illuminates and states the number of posts being quoted, clicking it then puts the quote bbcode into the QR box.

You couldn't get away with removing that Post Reply button without also factoring in changes to that functionality somehow.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• TLMD
            • Sep 2012
            • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
            In a topic view, the "Post Reply" button is needed for the multiquote functionality (not that this is currently working perfectly but for when it does).

The Post Reply button illuminates and states the number of posts being quoted, clicking it then puts the quote bbcode into the QR box.

You couldn't get away with removing that Post Reply button without also factoring in changes to that functionality somehow.
            That is all true... but what are are refering to?

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by TLMD

That is all true... but what are are refering to?
              In topic view the floaty bar contains the "Post Reply" button.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• IggyP
                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Mark.B

i think thats bad way for multi quote i never understood........if you quote one post it goes straight into the editor, why cant it just do that again if you hit another quote?

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by IggyP

i think thats bad way for multi quote i never understood........if you quote one post it goes straight into the editor, why cant it just do that again if you hit another quote?
                  I don't disagree but for the purposes of this exercise it's best not to mess with existing functionality.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------

Comment

• Princeton
                    • Sep 2001

personally, I never liked the pagenav floating bar ... I believe it's the wrong direction

if you are going to have a floater it should be the header ... this will allow a more streamlined responsive approach

mobile is growing ... we should consider mobile at every level ... this will decrease costs in the long wrong
                    Last edited by Princeton; Fri 31 Jan '14, 11:15am.
                    Liquid Layout = Less Ad Revenue?
                    How to Monetize Your Site

More features does NOT equal progress (Less is More)

Administrator:
                    vBulletin.org - #1 Community for vBulletin Modifications
                    allnurses.com - #1 Community for Nurses

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                      Former vBulletin Developer
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 5.7.X

Originally posted by TLMD
                      What I miss:
                      • The search field (for searches within a topic).
                      The screenshot attached is for the Forum/Topic list page. The search field should be in the floating bar when in the Topic page.

Since Wayne is using my extension as an example to propose changes to the floating bar, I think it would be better to see how the floating bar works in the extension.

http://www.screencast.com/t/fDViBTMrQdBF (Part 1)
                      http://www.screencast.com/t/qu9MTbsy5ppQ (Part 2 - with Subscribe/Unsubscribe button)

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...