X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ringnews24
    • Nov 2012
    • 4.2.x

Should I upgrade

I am on Vbulletin 4.2.2 http://www.ringnews24.com/boxingforum/forum.php but I purchased Vbulletin 5.

I have read a lot about bugs and errors. So I am wondering if I should upgrade?

My question is should I upgrade or wait alittle bit longer until things are ironed out more?

Cheers

Ringnews24's KO Boxing Forum
    www.koboxingforum.com

I'd like to thank all the staff and members who have helped me on the VBulletin help forum. The help so far has been much appreciated.
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Wait for another year with that upgrade.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• TLMD
      • Sep 2012
      • 5.6.X

I recommend you to create a test installation of your current vB4 forums and do an upgrade within that test environment. If everything works as expected, then you can upgrade your live site. If not, then it might be better to wait a little longer.

Comment

• DeltaHawk5
        • Sep 2012

No. Don't even consider it past this point.

Comment

• playSocial
          • Dec 2008
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by TLMD
          I recommend you to create a test installation of your current vB4 forums and do an upgrade within that test environment. If everything works as expected, then you can upgrade your live site. If not, then it might be better to wait a little longer.
          Even if it 'works' on a test version its not worth upgrading. Too many issues that you may not pick up on via a test upgrade but you and the users will pick up on when using it daily in a live environment. While you shouldn't expect a new product to be perfect its actually disgusting how how half baked the release version was. Its not a release level product and its so far away from being so that I doubt it will be anywhere near being worthwhile installing on alive site for 12-18months based on the speed of current development.

Comment

• RFLIndustries
            • Feb 2013
            • 4.2.X

Dont upgrade. Lots of bugs and issues and you will wait months for no help

Comment

• TLMD
              • Sep 2012
              • 5.6.X

Originally posted by playSocial
              Even if it 'works' on a test version its not worth upgrading. Too many issues that you may not pick up on via a test upgrade but you and the users will pick up on when using it daily in a live environment.
              That depends on what you expect. I agree that there is plenty room for improvements in vB5. However, I don't agree with "it will be anywhere near being worthwhile installing on alive site for 12-18months".

Comment

• In Omnibus
                In Omnibus commented
                Editing a comment
                It's already been 18 months since they first offered vBulletin 5.x Alpha / Beta / CrashTestDummy at a discounted price. At last glance there were still over 700 critical and major issues excluding the 2,200 plus labeled minor and trivial. Nothing to date should convince anyone this product will ever be a viable solution for existing live sites. Perhaps for anyone who is starting from scratch and using the default core installation or making minor tweaks the 5.0.5 version is functional but even that's a stretch. As someone who hosted vBulletin 5.x for a year waiting for a functional version I would never recommend anyone "upgrade" to vBulletin 5.0.5 or any of the three Beta versions of vBulletin 5.1x Internet Brands won't even run on this site from vBulletin 4.x
            • adeel786
              • Dec 2009

It'll be a big big mistake.

Just wait for another year until its in perfect condition

Comment

• zanthor
                • Dec 2009
                • 5.0.X

I wish I had done better research when purchasing my most recent forum license... had I realized how different vBulletin 5 Connect was from the exceptional products I've used in the past (vBulletin 3 and 4) I would have gone a different route.

Comment

• Niktator
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 5.5.x

No, don`t leave 4.2.2.
                  Well, IB don`t care at all about vb 4 anyore, but its still way better then vb5. Plus you may use the cms if needed. vb5 is slow and full of bugs.

After I was using vb for more then a decade with serveral big boards, i will finally leave vb soon. vb4 is a dead end - i dislike vb5 - so i see no future for vb. maybe vb6 will be great - but that would take like 2 years minimum until i can use it in a live community.
                  Paul M. 14.12.2012: You already know vB4 isnt being worked on atm, so of course no bugs are going to have been fixed in the last few months, nor are they going to get fixed "now".

Comment

• Fready
                    • Nov 2010
                    • 4.0.x

Don't bother with vB 5 it's a mess.
                    vB 4 is ok maybe wait for vB 6 to come out in a few years or move over to another Forum software.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

The original poster has some customizations on his site so he would lose all those, including the style, as with any major upgrade. After the upgrade it will look like this support forum...almost exactly.

As with all upgrades...ask yourself why you want to do it? Is it just to run the latest version? That's not a good reason.
                      Is there functionality you want? That's a good reason, as long as it's there.

Create a test mirror of your vB4 site first, then upgrade that, and see if you like the results.

I have had some excellent results working with customers who upgraded to vB5, getting their original look and feel back.
                      Examples:

MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• cellarius
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

I won't speculate whether the number of vB5 installations is so small that IB can deploy Mark to style every single one of them...

Comment

• aberg
                          • Jul 2004

No!! Dont upgrade.
                          I have done it and it is it is horrible.
                          Most of the hacks don't work.
                          For me this new version is the reason I moved to IPB.
                          So if anyone have intrest, he can buy my license

Comment

• emp1re
                            • Nov 2004

No don't upgrade.
                            We did.. and after a few days of missery we went back to vb4.

Today we said goodbye to VB and did convert to IP-Board... our test convert went verry well..so after 9 years of vbulletin we decided to say goodbye to VB and welcome IPB.
                            It is actualy sick to see that converting to IPB went much better as upgrade to VB5.

Comment