X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xlegends
    • Aug 2004
    • 4.2.x

Time to upgrade to 5 needs tips

Hi guys,, I did this last update which was a huge one from 3 to 4.. I take it the changes are not as drastic from 4.2.2 to 5?

1) I only have basic popular easy hacks

2) any major tips on this upgrade?

3) I did buy forumrunner separate last time, will it work with 5 or do I have to get the mobile version of the forum?

replies apreciated
  • feldon23
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by xlegends
    Hi guys,, I did this last update which was a huge one from 3 to 4.. I take it the changes are not as drastic from 4.2.2 to 5?
    Have you tried out vB5 here on vBulletin.com to see if your users will like the changes and be able to access the functionality they've gotten used to in vB4? There are pretty drastic changes.

Please check vBulletin.org to see what plugins/modules/themes there are available for vB5. I think you'll be surprised at the dearth of options.

Prepare for the possibility that up to 50% of your members will leave for your competitors.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

The change from VB4 to VB5 is far more drastic than from VB3 to VB4. Absolutely zero VB4 or VB3 mods work on VB5.

Be sure you make a backup and upgrade a test site before upgrading your live forum.

Comment

• Kent55
        • Oct 2012

3) I did buy forumrunner separate last time, will it work with 5 or do I have to get the mobile version of the forum?

replies apreciated
        I highly recommend starting a poll on your forum to see if your users want the upgrade. I have seen a forum loose way over a 1/4 of it's activity when they upgraded to vB5. The amount of complaints from members was unreal. They have now downgraded back to vB4. So be careful before you upgrade, not to mention the ever-growing amount of issues with vB5.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Kent55
          I highly recommend starting a poll on your forum to see if your users want the upgrade. I have seen a forum loose way over a 1/4 of it's activity when they upgraded to vB5. The amount of complaints from members was unreal. They have now downgraded back to vB4. So be careful before you upgrade, not to mention the ever-growing amount of issues with vB5.
          Issues with VB5 are being fixed with every release- you have good advice at the start but claiming "ever-growing amount of issues with vB5" is simply wrong. Hundreds of issues have been fixed- and hundreds more still need to be fixed- but each release has been noticeably better than the previous.

Comment

• Kent55
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Joe D.

Issues with VB5 are being fixed with every release- you have good advice at the start but claiming "ever-growing amount of issues with vB5" is simply wrong. Hundreds of issues have been fixed- and hundreds more still need to be fixed- but each release has been noticeably better than the previous.
            Come on Joe, I don't know any other forum script out there that has released their software in the state vB5 was and is still in. XenForo's 1.2.0 release was tremendously bug free and so was Woltlab's Burning Board 4.0.0. They are great, you can start a forum with either of them now and not have any problems, however vB is now developing 5.1.0 and it is still unusable. You can't even choose to not have a signature. Like seriously?
            Last edited by Kent55; Tue 31 Dec '13, 11:02am.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Kent55
              Come on Joe, I don't know any other forum script out there that has released their software in the state vB5 was and is still in. XenForo's 1.2.0 release was tremendously bug free and so was Woltlab's Burning Board 4.0.0. They are great, you can start a forum with either of them now and not have any problems, however vB is now developing 5.1.0 and it is still unusable. You can't even choose to not have a signature. Like seriously?
              That all may be true- but I take issue with you saying issues are "ever-growing" when in fact they are not growing but hundreds of bugs are fixed with each release.

Comment

• Kent55
                Kent55 commented
                Editing a comment
                The issues with vB 5 are ever-growing. Just because bugs are being fixed does not mean more aren't being found! Not to mention the slow development on vB 5.
            • dustoff99
              • Mar 2010
              • 5.0.X

replies apreciated
              From my small site experience:

1. 4 - 5 was different
              2. Backup is a must
              3. I used to use Tapatalk for my site, died w/ vB5 as they don't support it. You will need to verify.

My thoughts / issues / concerns:

I wish I would have never upgraded to 5, my site lost some good members. I should have used the money for IPB or Xenforo. vb.org is all but dead and what mods I use are not working properly and the mod creators are complaining. I would recommend staying at 4 until vb 5 beta can be more useful. I am giving vb5 until next year before I migrate to IPB or X.

Comment

• dustoff99
                • Mar 2010
                • 5.0.X

I know it's not beta, meant to say acts like beta, wasn't ready for full production.

Comment

• xlegends
                  • Aug 2004
                  • 4.2.x

WOW, I really appreciate every single reply!

Comment

• DeltaHawk5
                    • Sep 2012

You want the best possible tip about upgrading to vBulletin 5? Don't.

Comment

• djpretzel
                      • Jul 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Joe D.

That all may be true- but I take issue with you saying issues are "ever-growing" when in fact they are not growing but hundreds of bugs are fixed with each release.
                      Doesn't even matter. Fix all the bugs you want, the product is FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED and worse in almost every measurable way as compared to its predecessor, VB4, which was better than VB3 in some ways and worse in others in and of itself.

You've ruined this software. Man up, huddle up, admit defeat, return to VB4, and improve it.

Comment

• xlegends
                        • Aug 2004
                        • 4.2.x

Man this saddens me, so we will be stuck with 422 for a long time

Comment

• oldlock
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 3.8.x

Please consult a dictionary re the meaning of ' upgrade ' going from VB4, or VB3 (or anything else I can think of) to VB5 is not an upgrade IMO.

Comment

• TLMD
                            • Sep 2012
                            • 5.6.X

Man this saddens me, so we will be stuck with 422 for a long time
                            Well, vB4 is a solid peace of software. Is there a certain reason why you need/want to upgrade to vB5?

Comment