X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdj
    • Jan 2009
    • 5.1.x

When's the calendar turning up...?

The missing feature status update (sticky thread, closed for discussion) is here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...feature-status

It was started in September 2012 which is probably about when I upgraded my vB4 licence to vB5 - it's so long ago I can't remember now. This was last updated by Wayne on 1st October. When we upgraded from vB3 to vB4 it was full of bugs but we learned to live with it and use it. That meant putting a lot of effort into the CMS and initially into the calendars to get them going. The CMS still takes some effort but we have a regular stream of content; but the calendar just self-populates, it's now no effort at all. We still use 4.2.2 and there's not much we can do with vB5 without both CMS and calendar, without damaging the site.

The latest alpha release of vB5 contains the CMS replacement and when I saw that I thought, "...finally, 18 months on I might be able to use the thing." I'm not expecting perfection from vB5, in fact I'd go so far as to say I'm expecting it to have bugs in it. But at least if you know where most of them are you can usually manage it.

I can't help but feel a little disappointed though that son-of-CMS has finally turned up....but with no calendar...

That statement in the missing feature status update on 1st October which as of today still says "Major feature...future release" reads as very ominous....it's been a year and a half for the alpha version of the CMS replacement to turn up in a "future release."
  • Stadler
    • Oct 2001
    • 4.2.X

*bump*

Any status update about the re-implementation of the calendar-feature?
    Hints & Tips:
    [[vB3] More Spiders / Indexers / Archives for vB3 - list]|[List of one-time-emails to ban]

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...efox_80x15.png

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

There's no update at this time, sorry.

If I'm honest I doubt it's a high priority. Calendars are not popular features on forums generally.
      Here's the Tracker entry.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

Understand there is no guarantee there ever will be a Calendar in VB5. Please don't wait around thinking if you wait long enough it will happen- things in "BRB Future Release" are not promises but possibilities. They haven't been ruled out but they haven't been confirmed, either.

Comment

• jdj
          • Jan 2009
          • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Joe D.
          Understand there is no guarantee there ever will be a Calendar in VB5. Please don't wait around thinking if you wait long enough it will happen- things in "BRB Future Release" are not promises but possibilities. They haven't been ruled out but they haven't been confirmed, either.
          Now that you've demonstrated a work around to put a calendar of sorts on vBulletin 5 I'm taking a look at it.

At the moment I'm just reading the manual to see what's involved in an upgrade before trying it out on my test installation.

In the section entitled "What to know before you upgrade to vBulletin 5" the manual says as its first point

"1. Do you rely heavily on the Calendar feature? If so, these will not be included in vBulletin 5 at initial launch but are planned to be added soon after. If you rely on these areas of functionality then don’t upgrade at this time - unless you’re happy that these will not be available to you and your users in the short term."

Short-term...that's a laugh :-)

Comment