X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BasilFawlty
    • Jul 2012
    • 4.2.X

Do I have to buy VB5 to get VB4?

I run a fairly large site with VB 4.2.1 and am quit happy with it. No offense but I personally do not like VB5 - not even a little bit. That said, I have been thinking about starting a second forum with a different domain name which will require a new license. When I look at the purchase section it appears that I must buy VB5 in order to get VB4? Is there a way to just buy VB4 as I have zero interest in VB5?

• rhens
    • Sep 2012

buying a vB5 license comes with a vB4 suite license. you can run either one on the one license. actually, this is a great idea because if/when you want to upgrade to vB5....you already have the license! the purchase price @$249 is less than the $285 i paid for vB4 suite in 2009, so all in all....its a very good value!

Comment

• BasilFawlty
      • Jul 2012
      • 4.2.X

Yes, I know I can get both. I was hoping I could just get VB4 alone (maybe at reduced price) as I have ZERO interest in VB5.

Comment

• TLMD
        • Sep 2012
        • 5.6.X

Originally posted by BasilFawlty
        I was hoping I could just get VB4 alone (maybe at reduced price) as I have ZERO interest in VB5.
        That is not possible anymore. Look at it as an option to upgrade to vB5 at a later time, when vB5 fits your needs.

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

Yes, I know I can get both. I was hoping I could just get VB4 alone (maybe at reduced price) as I have ZERO interest in VB5.
          Nope, that is not possible, only vB5 licences are for sale, which as stated, also give you access to vB4 (and vB3 + vB2 as well).
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Purchasing a vBulletin 5 license at $249.00 is a reduced priced compared to the price for the vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite. That was $285.

The forum only version is no longer available. However once you purchase a license, you can download vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite and use that if you wish. Really what you're purchasing is a license to us vBulletin. You choose which version that is.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dougdirac
              • Jul 2012
              • 4.2.X

With what's been happening over the past year, seems a lot of folks have been jumping ship. You can probably just find a secondhand vB4 license.
              Last edited by dougdirac; Fri 4 Oct '13, 9:15am.

Comment

• spring
                • Jul 2005

If You look at the amount of activity in the VB5 sections of this board, You can clearly see the product is not popular. 1 Year on and hardly any chat.. Maybe the product is so good it doesn't require any discussion? That would be a nice twist if true!

I think the slight migration to VB4 was caused by the impending PHP version doom facing V3 users, i know i resisted moving to V4 as long as i could, and now out of 4 VB sites i used to maintain, only 1 remains with V4, the others have moved on to [other solutions].

V4 was not a nice prospect. It bloated stuff, and tried to integrate alot of the popular mods and hacks we had all been using for nearly a decade. This meant learning from scratch how to keep things at the same level before the upgrade. With all this effort, it's very easy to just move to another product, so thats what I and alot of my friends did. Also, the new price for the 'suite' is staggering. Still cannot understand this.

It all grates, really, it's hard to show love for VB anymore.

Having said that, it works, Just!

Comment