X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cellarius
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Addon situation

Looking at the addon forums at vbulletin.org, I see the first addon for vB5 was released just about a year ago (I know vB5 was released as [status formerly known as gold] several months later). Since then, another 41 addons have been released.

The oldest vB4 addon is from August 2009, also several months before official gold release around christmas. During the twelve months until August 2010, ~ 750 addons have been released.

I wonder if this discrepancy is something that IB/vBs management at least notice, and what they make of that.
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by cellarius
    something that IB/vBs management at least notice, and what they make of that.
    vB5 is perfect as it is(or going to be soon), does not need addons.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• cellarius
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by beishe8
      vB5 is perfect as it is, does not need addons.
      *snigger*

Comment

• TLMD
        • Sep 2012
        • 5.6.X

I wonder if this discrepancy is something that IB/vBs management at least notice,
        I am pretty sure it has been noticed by those who have a look at how vB5 holds up on the market. A software usually gets monitored after release.

and what they make of that.
        What do you expect to happen within the next 6-12 months?
        Last edited by TLMD; Sat 14 Sep '13, 2:51am.

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by TLMD
          For the remaining customers the software is going to be improved with the same speed as in the last 6-12 months.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• jdj
            jdj commented
            Editing a comment
            From my perspective (someone who has a current licence but hasn't upgraded from 4.x to 5.x because of the absence of the CMS and calendar), the software hasn't been improved in the last 6-12 months.
        • cellarius
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by TLMD
          What beishe8 said. Regarding addons, I don't see how it would change. Many of those who were once passionate for vB were successfully driven away, and vB5 has not nearly the quality to attract people new people who can code well enough to fill the gap. It also is not only the missing addons but the missing articles (2 at the moment!), the how tos and tutorials that explained how to do things. The importance of the latter can hardly be overestimated, because it enabled autodidacts (like myself) to get a grasp of the software and come up with stuff themselves.
          Last edited by cellarius; Sat 14 Sep '13, 3:30am.

Comment

• rudedog1968
            • Feb 2004
            • 3.8.x

It's also pushed away the 3rd party experts who use to frequent the forums and offer assistance and guidance to others. They seem to no longer wish to deal what vB has turned into ,let alone run it on their own forums.
            Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• DemOnstar
              • Nov 2012

There is no shortage of room for add ons...At least 100+ empty, vacant gaps to be filled...

Comment

• digitalpoint
                • Mar 2004
                • 4.1.x

I know this sounds totally obnoxious, but not sure how else to put it... The smart/technical people (programmers) are going to tend to not buy vB5... So they *can't* make addons. If vBulletin was smart, they would give away free developer licenses that can't be used on a public site. Then you would get people making addons for vB5 even if they don't use it themselves.
                Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• cellarius
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.8.x

I fear that would come down to a hen and egg problem. Even with a free dev license, would they care if they can't be reasonably sure there is a worthwile market?

Comment

• digitalpoint
                    • Mar 2004
                    • 4.1.x

I fear that would come down to a hen and egg problem. Even with a free dev license, would they care if they can't be reasonably sure there is a worthwile market?
                    You would get some developers at least... For example, I would at least look into porting some of my vB4 addons to vB5. But not worth it for me to pay for a license that I wouldn't use in order to make a couple free addons for people.
                    Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                    Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• DemOnstar
                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by digitalpoint
                      You would get some developers at least... For example, I would at least look into porting some of my vB4 addons to vB5. But not worth it for me to pay for a license that I wouldn't use in order to make a couple free addons for people.
                      I get your not so digital point!

Comment

• cellarius
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Looking at the addon forums at vbulletin.org, I see the first addon for vB5 was released just about a year ago (I know vB5 was released as [status formerly known as gold] several months later). Since then, another 41 addons have been released.

The oldest vB4 addon is from August 2009, also several months before official gold release around christmas. During the twelve months until August 2010, ~ 750 addons have been released.

I wonder if this discrepancy is something that IB/vBs management at least notice, and what they make of that.
                        Just thought to revisit this. So, in the last five months a stunning number of additional 5 addons have made it to vbulletin.org. (Not to speak of the exactly 1 (in words: one) article about coding for vB5.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                          • Sep 2008

^ I commented recently about the mods currently out for vB5 versus vB4 and how I thought it just was not doing so hot and that perhaps another $40 renewal for 3.x owners should be given... it was in one of those recent vB3 "Active/Owned" threads and my posts was deleted, I would dare say it's best to not even bring stuff like this up because they have no respect for us and will delete whatever replies they feel should not be present.

All I'm saying is I keep my mouth shut about vB5, I barely ever talk it down and that was the thanks I received the one time I spoke out - Grats on whoever moderated that! Bull/Horns is how the expression goes .
                          Last edited by TheLastSuperman; Sat 22 Feb '14, 10:30am.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
                          Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
                          Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• napy8gen
                            • Jul 2001
                            • 6.X

Compare to the x****** they have 1235 add ons in resources.
                            Last edited by Mark.B; Tue 25 Mar '14, 4:49pm.
                            Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment