X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PakGamerz
    • Dec 2012
    • 4.2.X

Vbulletin 5 template editing sucks...

I am a vbulletin theme designer and developer and working with vbulletin since vbulletin 3.x release, And i was never upset after vb5 released before . After release of vbulletin 5, the demand of vbulletin 5 themes and plugins increase. So my clients are asking me code them new themes for vbulletin 5 but the issue is that Vbulletin 5 templates editing sucks, The amount of work i used to do in hours now taking days or upto weeks. So its a big disaster for developers, Some of the issues i am facing now,

First of all i can't search any text in the templates, i know the search in templates box is missing in vbulletin 5.0.3 will be available in vbulleitn 5.0.4, but i tried to search text using firefox search to find text in the page and it only search the vbulletin codes not the html, i am not able to find and id or class within the template.

Secondly save and reload option is not working properly in vbulletin 5.0.3, sometimes i try to save and reload it gives me the a multi line error , the error nearly cover all the page and it doesn't reload automatically, And when i click on the link Processing Complete - Proceed click to reload a new error come, URL LIMIT EXCEEDED.
    Some times i get this error
    {vb:hook 'header_head'} {vb:set isLoggedout, ' logged-out'} {vb:set state, ' '}{vb:strcat state, {vb:raw page.state}}{vb:set state, ''} {vb:set bodySchema.itemscope, 1} {vb:set bodySchema.itemtype, {vb:var page.pageSchema}}

Guest are not able to change default style besides the option is enabled in the admincp.
    There are no style urls available for different urls as used to be in vbulletin 4, When you hover on style name in style manager it gives you the style url, But this is not available in vbulletin 5. So if i am creating different skins for different clients then i need to make more vb5 installation on my test server, suppose i am working on 5 different themes so i need to setup 5 different installation on different directories it sucks and time consuming. is there any chance in improvement in vbulletin 5 template editing or should we developer should leave vbulletin custom services for good.
  • Doug Brott
    • Mar 2007
    • 3.6.x

I've had similar issues with template editing and I only did it for a single theme (my own). I'd be pulling my hair out if I had to do this across multiple themes.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

Many, if not all of the above has already been entered into our bug tracker.

The work-around for now to search in a specific template is to click the button to open a large edit window, this will be a plain text box and the browser's "Find on Page" (CTRL-F) will work. Unfortunately I'm not aware of a work-around for the URL Limit issue other than to save and re-open the template each time.

Are you using 5.0.3? I am no longer getting the URL Limit error on 5.0.3 when I just checked it.
      Last edited by BirdOPrey5; Fri 26 Jul '13, 12:01pm.

Comment

• Doug Brott
        • Mar 2007
        • 3.6.x

For me it got a little better (don't have specifics) in 5.0.3, but I had other problems with 5.0.3 that caused me to just punt and go back to vb4. At this point I'm waiting for the product to become usable before moving forward. The frustration with editing templates is just another layer to the bigger issue in my case.

Comment