Any large forums running on vBulletin 5?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandrose
    • Feb 2001
    • 5.0.X

My site: http://www.sandroses.com/abbs is using vbulletin 5.05 connect and has more than one million posts.
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/filed...ledataid=63608

Comment

• webmastersun
      • Oct 2013
      • 4.2.X

http://www.webmastersun.com is in top 10 webmaster forum keyword according to Google. No more posts as your forum but having useful information about SEO and internet marketing online.
      My forum's running vb4.2.x and I think it will become big forum soon.
      Best Internet Marketing Forum & Webmaster Forum for webmasters and Internet Marketers discussing and trading!

Comment

• stevectaylor
        • Aug 2007
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by JKerviel12
        I mean, forums with 1 million posts or more. I would be interested to see if some large board owners have taken the plunge.

My reason for this question is because I have a large forum (1.7 million posts) currently running on vBulletin 4. I have purchased a vB5 licence but am a bit afraid to upgrade yet.

Yes, I know vbulletin.com is on vB5. I mean others.
        I know of one. vbulletin.com and am surprised vbulletin.org is not (not a good advertisement).
        Holiday Forum
        Motor Car Forum
        Political Forum
        Web Hosting Forum

Comment

• obmob
          • Sep 2001

I'm still searching for any reasons to stay with vBulletin, but every post I read is discouraging. How much I wasted in 2 forums.

Now thinking to move to a new forum is also a dilemma, FB is killing most forums out of a niche. Maybe wordpress and joomla are the future.
          Currently working on:
          Anizeen - What anime have you seen?
          Osito Barrigón - Winnie Pooh y sus Amigos

Comment

• captainslater
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by stevectaylor

I know of one. vbulletin.com and am surprised vbulletin.org is not (not a good advertisement).
            vBulletin.org uses tons of costum code so upgrading it would be a massive amount of work.
            To infinity and beyond!
            Deutschsprachige vBulletin News & Tipps
            captainslater
            - Eine vBulletin Cloud-Site

Comment

• stevectaylor
              • Aug 2007
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Dominic
              vBulletin.org uses tons of costum code so upgrading it would be a massive amount of work.
              OK, I wasn't aware but to be honest not being aware was actually a factor they wasn't using it towards our decision not to upgrade yet.
              Holiday Forum
              Motor Car Forum
              Political Forum
              Web Hosting Forum

Comment

• stevectaylor
                • Aug 2007
                • 3.6.x

One thing to bear in mind, majority of reviews online are of a negative nature. As an old friend said too me "your only as good as the last mistake" because that is what people by nature remember about you, rarely the good points.
                Holiday Forum
                Motor Car Forum
                Political Forum
                Web Hosting Forum

Comment

• feldon23
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.7.x

I'm tired of reading this. If you don't like hard work, get out of the forum-running business.

Comment

Removed
                    Last edited by Guest; Sun 17 Apr '22, 10:53pm.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by feldon23
                      I'm tired of reading this. If you don't like hard work, get out of the forum-running business.
                      Are you looking to pay the volunteers at vbulletin.org yourself to do this work?

My own site needs upgrading to 4.2.2 from 4.2.0, that also is a "massive amount of work" due to customisations and file edits, though nothing like as massive as vbulletin.org will be.
                      However, I don't have time at the moment - I'm too busy earning a living and it's working fine as it is.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• TheRageIsOn
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 4.2.X

I am not complaining about the usability of VB5 or the lack of it.

But aren't we the customers who supposed to do something about that.

If you buy something and feel its not usable or damaged, you used to get your money back
                        or get different goods in exchange.

So stop whining, and do something.

Note:
                        I have 2 licenses and I intend to keep them,
                        not just because i have a fairly large board running with vb4.2.. ( 1.5m posts)
                        but migrating to VB was a pain in the A...

Comment

• th3gr3aton3
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Mark.B

Are you looking to pay the volunteers at vbulletin.org yourself to do this work?

My own site needs upgrading to 4.2.2 from 4.2.0, that also is a "massive amount of work" due to customisations and file edits, though nothing like as massive as vbulletin.org will be.
                          However, I don't have time at the moment - I'm too busy earning a living and it's working fine as it is.
                          If I was Internet Brands I would assign a developer to .org to get it to the latest. It is bad advertisement plan and simple. Also 4.2 to 4.2.2 is not that big of a deal. I have a very customized forum as you do.

Comment

• digitalpoint
                            • Mar 2004
                            • 4.1.x

It really wouldn't be that much work to migrate vb.org to vBulletin 5 (or 4). Our 3.x to 4.x migration ended up taking me about 3 months of "spare time" to rewrite everything for vB4. And I'm pretty certain we had more custom stuff on our vB install than vb.org does. Would have taken one person (me) about 1 month if it was a full time assignment.

That being said, I don't think any single vB developer *has* 1 month to spare (they are literally backed up for years in the issue tracker, and I suspect bugs are a higher priority than migrating vb.org to vB5).
                            Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                            Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 4.2.X

Arboristsite is a forum & classifieds website for arborists, chainsaws, tree worker and firewood processing. Forums for all aspects of tree work, chainsaws and tree equipment. Classifieds for chainsaws & arbor tree equipment.

Discussions:216,577 Messages:4,346,362 Members:53,018
                              converted from 4.10 to Xenforo
                              Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Threads: 94,053, Posts: 1,117,118, Members: 23,073
                              Moved directly from 3.72 to PHPFOX

ARRGH an now vb.com is logging me out while I am composing a post WTF
                              Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

• dobberhockey
                                • Nov 2013
                                • 5.0.X

I have I think over a million posts on my fantasy sports site http://forums.dobbersports.com. The users have been around since 2007, VB 3 since 2009. All of my sites crashed during a key sales and traffic period - the day before the NHL season began - and this was because my sites were out of date. I run Joomla for the main sites, Magento for my shop, VB 3 for the forum, and connect them all via jFusion. To prevent a 12-hour crash like that one (cost me lots of money), I had to upgrade all three platforms.
                                So I took the plunge last week. In hindsight, I should have upgraded to VB 4 and not VB 5. But what's done is done and we'll keep working on it. We're working through the bugs and it does require customization. I have a powerful server so there are absolutely no slowdowns.
                                The biggest roadblock (most work) we have is the fact that jFusion does not support VB 5 and probably never will since I hear the jFusion people are done. Fixing it, and some of the features we use because of it, requires support from Vbulletin's mobile API. Their response to my ticket:

"I am sorry but no support/help is provided for custom coding. Although there is a mobile API we do not provide documentation for it. A qualified programmer can view the code to determine how to use it. All vBulletin code is visible source."

But I would argue that a qualified programmer would also be able to write a decent API and tell people how to use it. You would think that with all of this negative publicity, that they would pour more resources into support, especially basic support like this one. I would even pay for the help.

Comment