Any large forums running on vBulletin 5?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digitalpoint
    • Mar 2004
    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by hurricane_sh
    vBulletin should abandon vB5 and keep working on vB4. My favorite is vB 3.8, vB 4 is OK, but vB 5 is a big no no. Unfortunately I don't like any other forum software, I'll stay on vBulletin 3 or 4 for as long as I could.
    It's an unfortunate situation that vBulletin has gotten itself in to. Even if every developer and staff member agreed, they can never *really* agree, take that proposal to management and expect to keep their job.

"Hi, I know we've been getting paid to work on vB5 for years, but well... we need to just throw it out and start over or go back to vB4 as our flagship product. Because after all those years of working on it, we created something craptastic. But the next time around, we will create something sweet."

That would be the perfect opportunity for management to just get new developers... in their mind, ones that aren't going to yield nothing after years of work.

So yeah... could never happen purely for corporate politics reasons.

Instead, the conversation will go something more like this with management... "Look at all the progress we are making on vB5 with every release. The problem we are having with it are all minor things and we can fix them."

Just have to remember the context of how such a conversation would go with your boss.
    Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
    Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• hurricane_sh
      hurricane_sh commented
      Editing a comment
      vB5 is clearly a failed product. It's heading to the wrong direction - the longer they work on it, the more customers they will lose. They can also develop vB6 based on vB4 or 3.8, even minor changes will keep a lot of loyal customers. With VB 5 I can't see any hope...

• rootsxrocks
      rootsxrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      "Hi, I know we've been getting paid to work on vB5 for years, but well... we need to just throw it out and start over or go back to vB4 as our flagship product. Because after all those years of working on it, we created something craptastic. But the next time around, we will create something sweet." That's exactly what needs to happen.
  • Pocket Aces
    • Mar 2007
    • 4.2.x

We currently have 16M posts in our almost 7 yrs old vbulletin forum and no plans of moving to vb5.
    Since then we have used vb3 only. For us, with less programming knowledge, its the most user friendly version. We're about to shift to vb4 anytime this month only because we feel v3 is nearing its end of life and a lot of modifications these days are intended for vb4. So why wait for vb3 end of life when we could upgrade to vb4 now.
    vBulletin 4.2.5 | PHP 7.0.31 | MariaDB 10.2.17

Comment

• hurricane_sh
      hurricane_sh commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't upgrade if your members are happy. I only upgraded one vB3.8 forum and lost many members. They find it hard to read. My competition forum thrived again by remaining on 3.8 after I upgrade.

• diecastfast
      diecastfast commented
      Editing a comment
      I would absolutely *not* recommend that you do that. I have *never* seen established members on a vB 3.8.x site happy with a move to 4. It's not worth it. Save yourself the headaches.
  • DemOnstar
    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by digitalpoint

"Hi, I know we've been getting paid to work on vB5 for years, but well... we need to just throw it out and start over or go back to vB4 as our flagship product.
    I think this is the most viable option.
    It can't happen though as it would just be ultimately embarrassing but would make absolute and utter sense.

Comment

• BUSA
      • May 2010

DONT make the blunder of upgrading. VBulletin 5 is the world's worst software. Too many bugs. Why did they launch it without testing it extensively? Simply to make MONEY.

Comment

• DemOnstar
        • Nov 2012

I have no intention of upgrading, I am happy where I am on 4.2.1..

If 5 ever gets straightened out, I will buy another license. If I live that long of course..

Comment

• dkobia
          • Mar 2006

I upgraded my forum that has over a million posts from 3.8 to VB5 - worst mistake I made. It is slow, a pain the butt to use, and I now have a tenth the traffic I had before the upgrade. I thought my users would get over the change -- they have in the past, but I pushed my luck this time. I'm considering dropping VB altogether and possibly starting from scratch with a simpler forum. Initially I was excited about VB5 and even left feedback back in April - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-rants-praises ... fast forward to September, and I absolutely hate VB5. This is a flying tank that will continue to need repairs and patches as it struggles to stay aloft.

Comment

• BUSA
            • May 2010

Dkobia, similar here. No user will tolerate the crap VB has done. Which software are you opting for?

Comment

• CygnusFTK
              • Jun 2013
              • 5.0.X

Actually... some users will. I have about a quarter million posts and 2800+ members. I am not going anywhere. Not until all hope is lost, anyway... and we are nowhere near to that.

Comment

• beishe8
                • Oct 2005
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by CygnusFTK
                I am not going anywhere. Not until all hope is lost, anyway...
                "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"

and we are nowhere near to that.
                The software improving greatly, day by day, so you do have the hope that one day the software will be useable for the masses.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• BUSA
                  • May 2010

Here is an example of the edit box not loading, that too on this website itself.

A simple refresh and it appeared, but happens quite often.

Comment

• diecastfast
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 3.6.x

Very first one I checked? Hacked!

http://www.sjwinfo.org/

Comment

• mickreid
                      • Jan 2011
                      • 4.0.x

I've a forum with 5,000,000+ posts now. I bought vbulletin5 and for a while I was testing a migration from vb4 (I talked about it here http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...71#post3649871) but I just had so many problems that I've more or less given up, 9 months on we still haven't even got the same functionality of vb4 and even vbulletin.com's implementation feels slow and clunky.

I'm not sure where I go next, wait and see I guess.

Comment

• rhens
                        rhens commented
                        Editing a comment
                        i think once 5.1.0 releases, it will be very close to being ready to roll out. there are still over 2000 bugs listed on jira, but the large percentage of those seem to be simply sweeping up the debris. i've shut down my development site until 5.1.0 releases...i've done about all i can do with it until the cms and rss issues are fixed
                    • digitalpoint
                      • Mar 2004
                      • 4.1.x

One thing I noticed is that a pretty high percent of sites that had vB5 installed at one point no longer do. Anything with a date before September 3, didn't have vB5 on it (all sites have been visited since Sept 3, and ones with a "last_seen" date before that for vB5 means it didn't see vB5 there when it visited most recently).

That being said, vB5 is getting a *little* more traction now, but still pretty terrible considering how long it's been out.
                      Code:
                      mysql> SELECT domain, value AS version, DATE_FORMAT(FROM_UNIXTIME(date), '%M %e, %Y') AS last_seen FROM misc_data WHERE name = 'vbulletin_version' AND value LIKE '5%' ORDER BY date DESC;
                      +-----------------------------+---------+--------------------+
                      | domain                      | version | last_seen          |
                      | host.my.id                  | 502     | October 17, 2013   |
                      | bmwforum.ro                 | 505     | October 17, 2013   |
                      | z31performance.com          | 505     | October 16, 2013   |
                      | northeastdragracing.com     | 505     | October 16, 2013   |
                      | predestinarian.net          | 505     | October 16, 2013   |
                      | forospyware.es              | 505     | October 15, 2013   |
                      | grimsby-town.com            | 505     | October 15, 2013   |
                      | golf-tuition-online.com     | 505     | October 15, 2013   |
                      | pescar.info                 | 505     | October 14, 2013   |
                      | sjwinfo.org                 | 505     | October 13, 2013   |
                      | thedailypunt.com            | 502     | October 13, 2013   |
                      | gamers-underground.com      | 504     | October 12, 2013   |
                      | maskaniyetu.com             | 504     | October 11, 2013   |
                      | byet.net                    | 504     | October 11, 2013   |
                      | srforums.net                | 505     | October 11, 2013   |
                      | tonmo.com                   | 505     | October 10, 2013   |
                      | duniabebas.com              | 501     | October 10, 2013   |
                      | tipscontrol.com             | 505     | October 10, 2013   |
                      | claystation.com             | 505     | October 10, 2013   |
                      | merenguista.com             | 505     | October 7, 2013    |
                      | kiemtienonline.co           | 502     | October 7, 2013    |
                      | scouter.com                 | 502     | October 6, 2013    |
                      | archifield.net              | 504     | October 5, 2013    |
                      | moiforum.gov.mm             | 500     | October 5, 2013    |
                      | forumadult.org              | 505     | October 4, 2013    |
                      | therealestateforum.in       | 505     | October 4, 2013    |
                      | marketing.am                | 502     | October 2, 2013    |
                      | pbxtech.info                | 501     | October 1, 2013    |
                      | thememaverick.com           | 505     | October 1, 2013    |
                      | majalisna.com               | 504     | October 1, 2013    |
                      | binarytradingforum.com      | 500     | September 30, 2013 |
                      | singingpig.co.uk            | 502     | September 28, 2013 |
                      | ultimatefootballforum.com   | 504     | September 27, 2013 |
                      | nutritionfromnature.com     | 504     | September 27, 2013 |
                      | thescotsforum.com           | 501     | September 27, 2013 |
                      | teamsrgaming.com            | 504     | September 23, 2013 |
                      | internethelpnigeria.com     | 503     | September 23, 2013 |
                      | jaagpakistan.com            | 502     | September 23, 2013 |
                      | monsteraquarianetwork.com   | 503     | September 22, 2013 |
                      | jagurkalsel.com             | 500b28  | September 21, 2013 |
                      | pakhackerz.com              | 504     | September 21, 2013 |
                      | silverspam.net              | 504     | September 21, 2013 |
                      | gulfgt.com                  | 504     | September 19, 2013 |
                      | curraxis.com                | 502     | September 17, 2013 |
                      | mashada.org                 | 503     | September 17, 2013 |
                      | macforum.dk                 | 504     | September 16, 2013 |
                      | minoforum.com               | 501     | September 15, 2013 |
                      | alhudaforum.com             | 502     | September 13, 2013 |
                      | actionsportsengaged.com     | 502     | September 13, 2013 |
                      | freeseoadvice.com           | 503     | September 13, 2013 |
                      | forosecuador.ec             | 504     | September 12, 2013 |
                      | hotmoneyforum.com           | 504     | September 11, 2013 |
                      | mygitar.com                 | 504     | September 11, 2013 |
                      | talknewsuk.com              | 504     | September 11, 2013 |
                      | bmwpower.ru                 | 500     | September 10, 2013 |
                      | theschwartzreport.com       | 500     | September 10, 2013 |
                      | consumercomplaintforum.in   | 504     | September 10, 2013 |
                      | amateurscout24.com          | 504     | September 10, 2013 |
                      | infomlm.com                 | 504     | September 8, 2013  |
                      | alnadabi.net                | 504     | September 8, 2013  |
                      | immigration-information.com | 504     | September 6, 2013  |
                      | wolfhelper.net              | 504     | September 5, 2013  |
                      | x-forum.net                 | 504     | September 4, 2013  |
                      | elementaryforum.org         | 503     | September 4, 2013  |
                      | bellyhood.com               | 504     | September 4, 2013  |
                      | financeclubb.com            | 504     | September 4, 2013  |
                      | airpost.cz                  | 500b10  | September 4, 2013  |
                      | slopomona.com               | 504     | September 3, 2013  |
                      | kopitiamla.com              | 504     | September 3, 2013  |
                      | spgame.net                  | 502     | September 2, 2013  |
                      | alchemyforums.com           | 504     | August 31, 2013    |
                      | mimarlikforumu.com          | 501     | August 28, 2013    |
                      | redstickmoto.com            | 502     | August 22, 2013    |
                      | horizondatasys-forum.com    | 503     | August 20, 2013    |
                      | fulaniforum.com             | 500     | August 14, 2013    |
                      | firstones.com               | 502     | August 14, 2013    |
                      | aviannation.com             | 503     | July 30, 2013      |
                      | graphicdesignforum.com      | 502     | July 30, 2013      |
                      | sukagwe.com                 | 503     | July 20, 2013      |
                      | iboforums.com               | 501     | July 5, 2013       |
                      | forumjam.net                | 502     | July 2, 2013       |
                      | team-nocturnal.com          | 503     | June 29, 2013      |
                      | sportsfrog.net              | 500     | June 28, 2013      |
                      | ftapanama.org               | 502     | June 23, 2013      |
                      | pxb.net.br                  | 502     | June 21, 2013      |
                      85 rows in set (0.00 sec)
                      Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                      Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• imanutter
                        • May 2011
                        • 5.0.X

We are using VB5. sadly I think we have made a mistake. VB4 had everything we needed. worked great and required no maintenance once up and running. plug ins were coming from every where so any one could get their the way they wanted it with simple plug ins.. We are struggling now as something as simple as a donation module exists! but does not work (from a third party).
                        We need donations to survive

I will say I do think we have a large board but no way near a million thats just wow But VB5 is super-fast but then again it might just be because we have no plug ins and are just running it as standard.

I have looked at the voting thread for the developers to action upgrades and to be honest 98% of the votes there are what makes VB and I find it surprising we are voting to get back on our web sites what we have always had.

I will give it a few more weeks and see what updates come out. If Vb5 does not reflect on VB4 then we have our old back up and will stay with the ubers working user friendly and outstanding programming VB4.

Then in time once every one has danced around the camp fire and updates are released we will go to VB5.

I will make this as a statement. VB5 has the makings of one hell of a web site. I just feel it should have been released as a beta and stay a beta till customers need are met.

The customer support for this is outstanding and to be honest if it was not for the TEC team here we would have already gone back to VB4 weeks ago.

finally I did click on the web site above and to be honest there was nothing there that would make me want to register.. may be thats why you have a down fall in usage.

VB5 will get there as long as they are not entertaining VB6 yet lol. I am hoping VB5 will be my final update not my downgrade back to VB4.

Nutter
                        http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...IMA_NUTTER.jpg

Comment

• PcosKat
                          • May 2002
                          • 3.7.x

So glad I read this thread... I will not be upgrading to vb5.

Comment