how to access the page "2" of a thread display via the url ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arkadia2006
    • Aug 2006

yes this what i say from the beginning remove all ajax, keep static url ! also keep old url structure

Comment

• OhioDave
      Banned
      • Jul 2012

You can watch the SERPs drop for vbulletin.com in real time. previously there was over 3 million pages indexed. now its at like 2.4 to 2.3 million.

Comment

• OhioDave
        OhioDave commented
        Editing a comment
        Now its showing less that 500k indexed
    • BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

All the CMS article pages were lost for sure since they don't exist.

Comment

• dethfire
        • Mar 2003
        • 3.8.x

I see a mix pagination now. JS on top and button numbers at the bottom
        http://www.physicsforums.com

Comment

• DemOnstar
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Joe D.
          The argument made was sound. I'm really not sure anymore but it seems like pages beyond page 1 are not getting crawled via the usual way.
          Cheers Joe...

This is quite a major issue, is there in record of this in the JIRA washroom? I would like to vote that this gets fixed ASAP.... Not much point in having content when there is no reference to it.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by feldon23
            Originally posted by Zachery
            Google is able to spdier, and index vBulletin 5 urls and content just fine as a whole.
            Unless you are planning to teach Googlebot how to run Javascript and where to click, vb 5 is SEO suicide.

It's astonishing to me that "All but page 1 of our Threads and Forum Indexes are vanishing from Google!!!" is not ringing alarm bells or a top priority. It just tells you how many other issues there are.
            There are some changes in 5.0.3 that should address this, though our json is understood and compiles with googlebot, at least so im told.

Originally posted by arkadia2006
            yes this what i say from the beginning remove all ajax, keep static url ! also keep old url structure
            vB4 and vB3 have a ton of ajax as well. The old url structure is gone.

I trust personally trust digitalpoint's opinion on the current situation. I've passed what he has said on, we're continuing to look into it.

Comment

• digitalpoint
              • Mar 2004
              • 4.1.x

I trust personally trust digitalpoint's opinion on the current situation. I've passed what he has said on, we're continuing to look into it.
              The 5.0.3 changes to thread navigation does look like it fixes the issue of Googlebot not being able to find beyond page 2.

In fact, just as a test, you can see posts from page 2 of this thread now that this site is on 5.0.3: https://encrypted.google.com/search?...2.3+million%22

The navigation of threads within the forum view is *slightly* better... but it's still very faulty. It at least gives end users a URL they can copy/paste, but those URLs are still generated with JavaScript... meaning Googlebot isn't going to see them. If you look at the page source of one of those pages, you don't see the navigation links like you do as an end user (again... generated with JS I assume).
              Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
              Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• feldon23
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.7.x

vB4 and vB3 have a ton of ajax as well.
                vB3 has a "ton of ajax"?

News to me. vB3.8.x is fully usable with Javascript disabled. I think the only thing that really breaks is thread moderation.

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by feldon23
                  vB4 and vB3 have a ton of ajax as well.
                  vB3 has a "ton of ajax"?

News to me. vB3.8.x is fully usable with Javascript disabled. I think the only thing that really breaks is thread moderation.
                  It does, it also has a lot of fall backs in the system to not depend on ajax, but that doesn't mean ajax isn't there. There are a lot of ajax functions/features: quick reply, quick title edit, mark forums read, double click to close threads. I'm sure I'm forgetting more stuff as well.

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by digitalpoint
                    The 5.0.3 changes to thread navigation does look like it fixes the issue of Googlebot not being able to find beyond page 2.

In fact, just as a test, you can see posts from page 2 of this thread now that this site is on 5.0.3: https://encrypted.google.com/search?...2.3+million%22

The navigation of threads within the forum view is *slightly* better... but it's still very faulty. It at least gives end users a URL they can copy/paste, but those URLs are still generated with JavaScript... meaning Googlebot isn't going to see them. If you look at the page source of one of those pages, you don't see the navigation links like you do as an end user (again... generated with JS I assume).
                    From what I understand we're using html 5 stuffs to maintain the links. If pagination links are still being generated with js after page load, that is something else that needs to be looked at IMO.

Comment

• ShyGuy82
                      • Feb 2007

Zachery, this could easily be fixed. You can have ajax pagination and still have actual urls in the pager.
                      PHP Code:

<span><a href="/yourpage-blah/page1" ocnlick="GoToPage(1); return false;">1</a></span>
                      <
                      span><a href="/yourpage-blah/page2" ocnlick="GoToPage(2); return false;">2</a></span>
                      <
                      span><a href="/yourpage-blah/page3" ocnlick="GoToPage(3); return false;">3</a></span>
                      the rest of pager elements 
                      The only thing is you can't build this pager with javascript because google and other search engines might not pick the links up.
                      Speed up your member list page by at least 5x (4.x.x)

http://nicknameregister.com/files/20...0/ShyGuy82.jpg

Comment

• arkadia2006
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by ShyGuy82
                        Zachery, this could easily be fixed. You can have ajax pagination and still have actual urls in the pager.
                        PHP Code:

<span><a href="/yourpage-blah/page1" ocnlick="GoToPage(1); return false;">1</a></span>
                        <
                        span><a href="/yourpage-blah/page2" ocnlick="GoToPage(2); return false;">2</a></span>
                        <
                        span><a href="/yourpage-blah/page3" ocnlick="GoToPage(3); return false;">3</a></span>
                        the rest of pager elements 
                        The only thing is you can't build this pager with javascript because google and other search engines might not pick the links up.
                        +1 !!

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                          Former vBulletin Developer
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 5.7.X

The page has <meta> tag to indicate the prev/next urls.
                          Code:
                          [COLOR=#881280][FONT=monospace]<link [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=monospace]rel[/FONT][COLOR=#881280][FONT=monospace]="[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=monospace]next[/FONT][COLOR=#881280][FONT=monospace]" [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=monospace]href[/FONT][COLOR=#881280][FONT=monospace]="[/FONT][/COLOR][URL="http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-5-connect/vbulletin-5-connect-feedback/3976845-how-to-access-the-page-2-of-a-thread-display-via-the-url/page2"][COLOR=#0000FF]http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-5-connect/vbulletin-5-connect-feedback/3976845-how-to-access-the-page-2-of-a-thread-display-via-the-url/page2[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#881280][FONT=monospace]" />[/FONT][/COLOR]
                          And the top pagination control links are not generated by js.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• arkadia2006
                            • Aug 2006

when will you understand that "hidden" link have much much much less power than human visible link !!!!

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                              Former vBulletin Developer
                              • Mar 2011
                              • 5.7.X

Those hidden links are for search bots to properly crawl multi-page threads and as you know those visible links are working for humans.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment