How has your community adjusted to vBulletin 5.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rexxxy
    replied
    I wonders if @kevin sours (oops wrong software) reads these post about people experience. Even some die hard supporters giving up on vb5

Leave a comment:

• Doug Brott
    replied
    I had severe usability issues but simply punted a weeks worth of posts and went back to vb4 and the backup I made prior to "upgrading." It will be several months before I try again.

Leave a comment:

• scamtacular
    replied
    I meant it decimated the number of people taking part - the forum works now, as it's to do with internet scammers we make people register to view most things so that's why many sections appear to have 0 threads.

Leave a comment:

• TLMD
    replied
    Originally posted by scamtacular
    It's absolutely killed our forum
    True. Can't say that I am able to browse your forum.

Leave a comment:

• scamtacular
    replied
    It's now on a VPS that I'm configuring still

vBulletin is worse than before now. On the far right column on the homepage you can click on a thread title to go to the most recent post - well, I did that, and got this error

"That action could not be completed. Please try again, and if this occurs again please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message."

Leave a comment:

• dilbert
    replied
    Originally posted by scamtacular
    Unfortunately many/most members got sick to death of all the bugs so just stopped coming. It used to be a large busy forum. The speed issues, the fact the site was often maxing out the processor on the shared server (the host blocked access to the site whenever this happened to stop the site slowing down other sites on the server). Members also got very annoyed that lots of attachments they uploaded were not displaying/working.

And vBulletin giving next to no support (the forum support is beyond dire, you have to pester for someone to answer a question in a thread!) meant either pay the extortionate price for extended ticket support (yes, I would have to pay for vBulletin to fix their own bugs on my forum) or sit around waiting for days for questions on this forum to be answered (I'm not alone with this). So the issues took a while to be fixed and people gave up coming.
    Wow, I just visited your forum, you mentioned it's running on a shared server. That was very painful. Click and wwwaaaaaiiiiittttttttt. I gave up and left.

Sorry for your pain.

Leave a comment:

• scamtacular
    replied
    Unfortunately many/most members got sick to death of all the bugs so just stopped coming. It used to be a large busy forum. The speed issues, the fact the site was often maxing out the processor on the shared server (the host blocked access to the site whenever this happened to stop the site slowing down other sites on the server). Members also got very annoyed that lots of attachments they uploaded were not displaying/working.

And vBulletin giving next to no support (the forum support is beyond dire, you have to pester for someone to answer a question in a thread!) meant either pay the extortionate price for extended ticket support (yes, I would have to pay for vBulletin to fix their own bugs on my forum) or sit around waiting for days for questions on this forum to be answered (I'm not alone with this). So the issues took a while to be fixed and people gave up coming.

Leave a comment:

• OhioDave
    commented on 's reply
    Care to elaborate on how??

• scamtacular
    replied
    It's absolutely killed our forum

Leave a comment:

• TLMD
    replied
    Originally posted by DemOnstar

I am thinking skepticism needs reasons to exist..
    In this case I used sceptical in an ironic way for sarcastic...

Leave a comment:

• DemOnstar
    replied
    Originally posted by TLMD
    I really don't know why, but it seems as if you are relatively sceptical towards vB5...
    I am thinking skepticism needs reasons to exist..

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by feldon23
    And he was never heard from again.
    Hopefully his members did not bash him.

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    Originally posted by TLMD

Haha!

I really don't know why, but it seems as if you are relatively sceptical towards vB5...
    Experience.

Leave a comment:

• TLMD
    replied
    Originally posted by feldon23
    Haha!

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    Originally posted by SFC
    Good reads, I'm doing the upgrade today.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...