How has your community adjusted to vBulletin 5.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OhioDave
    Banned
    • Jul 2012

How has your community adjusted to vBulletin 5.

If you previously had a vBulletin 3.x or 4.x installation and have recently upgraded to vBulletin 5 please let us know how your community feels about it.

If you'd like to share additional information such as activity before/after the upgrade it would be much appreciated.
    My community does not like nor dislike it.
    13.16%
    My community dislikes the upgrade to vBulletin 5.
    76.32%
    My community enjoys the upgrade to vBulletin 5.
    10.53%
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Sorry but I cannot vote.
    My community did not like the testforum so it's been deleted.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• DemOnstar
      • Nov 2012

Cannot vote either, I am still at localhost so no community until - at some point in time - I go live.

Comment

• Kent55
        • Oct 2012

Well, as I always do, I did a test upgrade:

How did it go?
        Well, besides the countless number of bugs within vB 5 that frustrate me beyond belief it also loads unbearably slow. I got internal server errors and timeouts so I created a ticket and was told to go to my hosting provider. After giving them the username and password they checked it out, and this is what they said:

"The internal server errors are due to the page loading so much that it just times out, and that it has to be a problem/bug with vBulletin 5 itself."

Does their answer sound reasonably accurate? Well let me think, how are the OFFICIAL vBulletin 5 forums running? Slow!

So the answer to your poll is they didn't like it at this stage due to excessive load, timeouts and an uncountable number of bugs. Resulting in it being more or less unusable.

- Matt

Comment

• In Omnibus
          • Apr 2010

I didn't make the mistake of attempting to upgrade a vB4 forum to vB5. I started from scratch. The handful of people I have testing the vB5 environment love what I've done with it.
          But it isn't a live site yet, not because of "bugs" but rather because of missing functions necessary to the proper function of the site as constructed.
          Not to defend IB but they never came out and stated vB5 was recommended for live production environments. The closest they came was declaring it "out of beta."
          Whatever in the hell that is supposed to mean.

Comment

• maksimfa
            • May 2013
            • 5.0.X

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
            I didn't make the mistake of attempting to upgrade a vB4 forum to vB5. I started from scratch. The handful of people I have testing the vB5 environment love what I've done with it.
            But it isn't a live site yet, not because of "bugs" but rather because of missing functions necessary to the proper function of the site as constructed.
            Not to defend IB but they never came out and stated vB5 was recommended for live production environments. The closest they came was declaring it "out of beta."
            Whatever in the hell that is supposed to mean.
            So what features are missing? New to the VB world.

Comment

• dilbert
              • Oct 2004

They seem to like it just fine, but it strangely looks a lot like IPB.
              Cliff
              PathLabTalk
              Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

• TLMD
                • Sep 2012
                • 5.6.X

Originally posted by dilbert
                They seem to like it just fine, but it strangely looks a lot like IPB.
                Haha, good one!

Comment

• OhioDave
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2012

So 7 votes is all this poll could muster... Yay vB5!!!!

Comment

• BulliM
                    • Oct 2012

There were no complaints in my community. But only because no one is part of my community. I just start to build a community with vb5.

Comment

• zappaDPJ
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
                      I didn't make the mistake of attempting to upgrade a vB4 forum to vB5. I started from scratch.
                      I don't understand that. Surely the software is functionally identical whether it's applied as an upgrade or used to start a new installation?

For what its worth I've worked on a number of test upgrades and a couple of new installations on behalf of clients and verdict is pretty unanimous. Nobody has chosen to deploy vBulletin 5, period.

I've also looked quite closely at sites that have gone ahead and upgraded. I've yet to see one that doesn't regret that choice. If there is one out there, it would be interesting to hear a positive view of vBulletin 5.

Comment

• OhioDave
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2012

I'm still trying to find all these vBulletin 5 forums in the wild myself. A good search for terms like

"Powered by vBulletinâ„¢ Version 5.0.2"
                        "Powered by vBulletinâ„¢ Version 5.0.1"
                        "Powered by vBulletinâ„¢ Version 5."

Aren't really returning many results. The forums that are running it all have disclaimer messages to them, and some even claiming loss of forum data.

Safe to assume vBulletin 5 really is a complete and utter failure. Wonder how long it will take for someone from IB/vB to come out and admit this totally missed it's mark.

Comment

• DemOnstar
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by OhioDave
                          Safe to assume vBulletin 5 really is a complete and utter failure. Wonder how long it will take for someone from IB/vB to come out and admit this totally missed it's mark.
                          Well it isn't doing what it was promised to do. As far as it being a complete failure, it just isn't complete.

It is probably best to forget IB as they have already forgot about you.

Comment

• Grotesque
                            • Dec 2012
                            • 4.2.X

In general, they love the look and feel of vb5. However they dislike it in the way the software offers features plus the ton of bugs lurking around.. We have been considering abandoning vb5 and vbulletin alltogether actually since a week now.

Comment

• rudedog1968
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Grotesque
                              In general, they love the look and feel of vb5. However they dislike it in the way the software offers features plus the ton of bugs lurking around.. We have been considering abandoning vb5 and vbulletin alltogether actually since a week now.
                              Do they love the look and feel of vB5 because of the underlying code/features or because of the theme? This could save forum owners $$$ by just changing their forum theme to mimic vB5. You would then just need to disable or break a bunch of other features and boom. You have something that looks like vB5 but runs much better for a lot less money.
                              Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...