Ability to go to first unread post or to go to last post of a thread?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GasMan320
    • May 2006
    • 4.2.X

Ability to go to first unread post or to go to last post of a thread?

Hi,

Can someone tell me if the ability to go to the first unread post in a thread is going to be added in vB5?

What about the ability to go to the last post of a thread? How was this left out? Is it not critical to forum navigation? Was this accidentally left out, or is it a bug that it shows up nowhere, or is intentionally no longer going to be a feature in vB5?

These two issues make using this site terrible.
    Last edited by GasMan320; Tue 30 Apr '13, 8:36pm.
    Location Import Error Fix For Facebook Connect Users
  • feldon23
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.7.x

How about being able to bookmark a specific page in a thread. UBB 1.0 had that.

Comment

• TLMD
      • Sep 2012
      • 5.6.X

Originally posted by GasMan320
      What about the ability to go to the last post of a thread? How was this left out? Is it not critical to forum navigation? Was this accidentally left out, or is it a bug that it shows up nowhere, or is intentionally no longer going to be a feature in vB5?
      vB 5 was still in Beta when I added the request to the tracker, that we need a better navigation bar. This included a first/last page button, a to-the-top button, a jump-to-first-unread-post button and the possibiliy to have the navbar on the top and/or on the bottom of the screen. Some days ago this feature was moved to vB 5.0.4, so we will have to wait for it quite a long time.

I don't know if it is hard to add such a basic feature, but I am pretty sure they didn't forget to add it in the initial release. If you ask the staff for the reason, they will give you a default answer: "It was time and resources that made it impossible to have this feature in the initial release, but as you can see, it will come back in a future version."

Comment

• Mathew Sands
        • Dec 2010

This is a huge feature request of mine. The search module needs a setting that allows the link to jump to the most recent post instead of the beginning of the thread.

Comment

• GasMan320
          • May 2006
          • 4.2.X

Just boggles the mind. Such a critical feature to proper navigation on the site and they left it out. Just seems like its amateur hour here.
          Location Import Error Fix For Facebook Connect Users

Comment

• beishe8
            • Oct 2005
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by GasMan320
            Just boggles the mind. Such a critical feature to proper navigation on the site and they left it out.
            We do have "Comment" now.

"Throw out the baby with the bath water is an idiomatic expression used to suggest an avoidable error in which something good is eliminated when trying to get rid of something bad,or in other words, rejecting the essential along with the inessential.

A slightly different explanation suggests that this flexible catchphrase has to do with discarding the essential while retaining the superfluous because of excessive zeal. In other words, the idiom is applicable not only when it's a matter of throwing out the baby with the bath water, but also when someone might throw out the baby and keep the bath water."

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Hummie
              • Nov 2007

I just upgraded and this is driving me batty. This was my main routine to click to list unread posts, then choose a post and click on "first unread." Now I have to do a LOT of scrolling to get to the first unread post. Was this ever fixed or will it be in a update soon? I'm imagining lots of complainers soon.

Comment

• Hummie
                • Nov 2007

I am noticing today there is a little double down arrow icon now that will take you the first new post. Still something not working quite right, but I have to keep playing.

Comment

• tomcoleman
                  • Aug 2010

so when you click on a thread instead of going to Page 1, how can I get it to go to the last page or first unread post.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Click the round double down-arrow next to the Thread Title to go to the first unread post.

Click the square double right-arrow next to the last post information to go to the last post in a topic.

Missing functionality includes a link within the thread to the first unread and filters to show unread posts only. I think users should also have an option to just go to the first unread by clicking the topic title in the thread list as well.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• naszeaudio
                      • Jun 2016
                      • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      I think users should also have an option to just go to the first unread by clicking the topic title in the thread list as well.
                      Wayne, was that implemented? Or can be added somehow? My users are crying for this feature.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                        Former vBulletin Developer
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 5.7.X

This is not implemented by default but it can be done using template hook. I'll create this when I get a chance. Watch for it in my site. See links in my signature.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                          Former vBulletin Developer
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
                          This is not implemented by default but it can be done using template hook. I'll create this when I get a chance. Watch for it in my site. See links in my signature.
                          As promised...

This mod allows you to configure the topic titles in the topic list to redirect to: First new post (default) Or to the last post Or to the first new post, if

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Mr Peabody
                            • Jul 2004
                            • 5.5.x

This was frustrating some of my members to no end!. (and I was only made aware of it)
                            Still working on 5.6.2
                            Last edited by Mr Peabody; Tue 30 Jun '20, 11:56pm.

Comment

• spiderweb
                              • Jun 2003
                              • 5.5.x

Strangely I've not had this problem. Can you not change the post order in a thread so the newest is first? It's reading backwards but ...

Comment