X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • I, Brian
    • Feb 2003
    • 3.6.x

How does Google find multipage content?

Just a question - how does Google find multi-page content on vb5?

Simply that in any forum, if I click through to see old threads on previous pages, the URL stays the same. This happens in multi-page threads as well.

Has the vb team tested whether Google can index this content?

Simply that I see a potential danger of Google being unable to spider content via multi-pages, resulting in older threads and multi-page threads becoming orphaned. Google tends not to care for orphaned content, so large vb5 boards could end up becoming effectively invisible to Google.

• OhioDave
    Banned
    • Jul 2012

Find a multipage thread here in the forums, and enter the URL in to google and see how many results come back.

Should be a result for each page I believe.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Google understands and is able to spider our ajax/json content without a problem at this time.

Comment

• AlexanderT
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Zachery
        Google understands and is able to spider our ajax/json content without a problem at this time.
        Without a problem? Really?

Please see my post here:

The only reason Google has spidered most of the content is because posts are linked in user profiles and those links can be followed by Google. Turn off visitor access to user profiles let's see what happens...

An example:

Google search for "do you think vB is ready for the Gold release?" (including the quotation marks)

What does Google tell you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	snap1.png
Views:	65
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	3965635

It's a thread with 15 posts. Really?

Hmmm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap2.png
Views:	75
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	3965637

Not really. It has a total of 211 posts. Only the first page has 15 posts. In other words, Google is unable to go beyond the first page. There is no magic Ajax voodoo involved - the only reason it finds content beyond the first page is because that content is linked to from in other places (user profiles). Don't believe me? Turn of visitor access to user profiles and see.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Sorry, I was informed otherwise. I've passed on your findings.

Comment

• Dick
            • May 2009

Originally posted by AlexanderT
            .... Not really. It has a total of 211 posts. Only the first page has 15 posts. In other words, Google is unable to go beyond the first page. There is no magic Ajax voodoo involved - the only reason it finds content beyond the first page is because that content is linked to from in other places (user profiles). Don't believe me? Turn of visitor access to user profiles and see.
            I think there is something deeper going on then Google being unable to go beyond the first page. There is obviously an issue, but I don't think it's vB5. For starters, the thread in question contains the following pieces of HTML on it:
            Code:

<a href="http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-sales-and-feedback/vbulletin-pre-sales-questions/339803-do-you-think-vb-is-ready-for-the-gold-release/page2" class="arrow right-arrow" title="Next Page" rel="next"><span class="vb-icon vb-icon-arrow-right"></span></a>
            and in the head,

Code:

<link rel="next" href="http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-sales-and-feedback/vbulletin-pre-sales-questions/339803-do-you-think-vb-is-ready-for-the-gold-release/page2" /
            Either of these should be significant to get Google to crawl page two.

Furthermore, if the reason page two isn't indexed is because of vB5, then this specific thread shouldn't have that problem, because it's old enough that Google would have already indexed page two before the forum was upgraded.

Finally, if Google couldn't crawl to page two on a vB5 forum, then the following Google search wouldn't return any paginated pages: "site:vbulletin.com/vb5demo inurl:page2" (note that this deprecated vb5demo site contains a meta robots directive to remove it from the index, which makes it a bad example for indexation discussions, but I think it's fine for this case)

Comment

• OhioDave
              Banned
              • Jul 2012

Phew. Good to know internet brands got this right and its actually google with the problem this time...

Comment