Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DemOnstar
    • Nov 2012

End of the day.

All in all, having been away from the forum for reasons and I while, I realised a couple of important things.
    VB 5 does the things I want it to do. Albeit in an awkward manner but it gets there.

Despite the controversy over comments, I like that feature. It allows a person to go off topic a little, and if you want to remain on topic, just ignore the grey area. Ok, so it does throw the navigation out a little more but once corrected, it will certainly benefit me. And as admin, you can disable it. Don't want it? Don't use it. Functionality.

Notifications are good, and once they are in real time and not after a page load or refresh, well, for myself, this is great. I put it in JIRA as an improvement request or something. It was implemented in a future BRB.

You can do the same too if you have the time, find the time or make the time.

VB 5 is fine, it just needs time.

Forget about management and admin, think more about the software.

Yes, ok, management and admin/support, had something to do with it's creation but this is what we have. This is where we all start to get it right!

Even if it is only just for my sake.

• Damlucy
    • Nov 2005

Is this Mark?

Comment

• TLMD
      • Sep 2012
      • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Damlucy
      Is this Mark?
      Lol!

Interesting how time can change someone's opinion. If that works with others, too, then vB5 has a great future! Let us just leave the forum for a month and when returning here, we all love vB5 (even in its current version 5.0.0)!

Comment

• DemOnstar
        DemOnstar commented
        Editing a comment
        Post number 9 in this thread was my response. Not sure how it got to number 9 but it does demonstrate the FUNctionality we have at Vbulletin.com. Quite a versatile piece of kit really.

• TLMD
        TLMD commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree: Quite versatile.
    • oldz442
      • Apr 2012

Tis a sockpuppet. LOL.
      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• DemOnstar
        DemOnstar commented
        Editing a comment
        I like your comment, it reminds me of my childhood.

• oldz442
        oldz442 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well thank you. I learned from the best over @ BC Forums.
    • Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Thank you for your feedback.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Lawrence Cole
        • Oct 2011

Thanks DemOnstar

Comment

• OhioDave
          Banned
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by DemOnstar
          All in all, having been away from the forum for reasons and I while, I realised a couple of important things. VB 5 does the things I want it to do. Albeit in an awkward manner but it gets there. Despite the controversy over comments, I like that feature. It allows a person to go off topic a little, and if you want to remain on topic, just ignore the grey area. Ok, so it does throw the navigation out a little more but once corrected, it will certainly benefit me. And as admin, you can disable it. Don't want it? Don't use it. Functionality. Notifications are good, and once they are in real time and not after a page load or refresh, well, for myself, this is great. I put it in JIRA as an improvement request or something. It was implemented in a future BRB. You can do the same too if you have the time, find the time or make the time. VB 5 is fine, it just needs time. Forget about management and admin, think more about the software. Yes, ok, management and admin/support, had something to do with it's creation but this is what we have. This is where we all start to get it right! Even if it is only just for my sake.
          I agree to an extent. But...

The problem was the QUALITY it was released in, the manner of it's release, the lack of accountability. Sure in time it might get there with time, but they've stopped vBulletin 4.x development for vBulletin 5 up until a few weeks ago. The quality of vBulletin 5 is embarrassing. It has to be. Personally, I think they should ask all employees if they are happy with the quality of vBulletin 5, anyone who says yes, should be fired.

It never should have been marketed, sold, or released in it's current state. It's a large piece of unusable software for 90% of the people.

​Its been "released" for over a month now, with no maintenance or bug fix release, with a lot of major/critical bugs present in the system

How is this acceptable to you? This is exactly what IB wants, they release a largely inferior product to anything on the market, and hope the customers just have it shoveled down their throats to a point where it reverse jedi mind tricks them into thinking, "Hey, this isn't so bad, in 3 years it should even be usable".

Comment

• DemOnstar
            DemOnstar commented
            Editing a comment
            I am glad we agree up to a point. And yes, the quality is an issue and I expect that some of the staff may well be happy but the community certainly is not. But at least we are all on the same page and we can do something about it other than moan about IB business practices. We cannot change the world.
            We can however affect the direction of this product and when it is ready, we can move on and forget that IB ever existed.
            Just so long as we get something out of it, got to make the most of it and this is an ideal platform and good timing for myself.
            And yes, I am being totally selfish here, I want it to work in less than 3 years...
        • christ2000
          • Jul 2009

Ok this post remember me my country, i am from cuba 1959 a dictador fidel castro take the power and he said my country will be the best country in the whole world, my country before castro was great, with little problems but this could be fix, but now he made a radical change and always said , this will take time but we will be the best, never pay attencion to cuban people , just do what he think was the best, now here is the pictures of my country more thant 53 year later with a people waiting the promess,

please listen the clients here, improve vb4 and forget the vb5, no one has a good post on our new version, if not read this forum, and if you cant because you cant keep vb4 due SUes demands or whatever, said the true, but do not promess what you know is a mess

see my country now, and keep in mind we are not in war

Comment

• DemOnstar
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by TLMD
            Originally posted by Damlucy
            Is this Mark?
            Lol! Interesting how time can change someone's opinion. If that works with others, too, then vB5 has a great future! Let us just leave the forum for a month and when returning here, we all love vB5 (even in its current version 5.0.0)!
            It is not my opinion that has changed, it is my attitude.

Ok, we all agree it is a little quirky in some areas, of that there is no doubt but I can see some things that would benefit me further on down the line. There are other things of course that I would wish for and I get to add them in JIRA. I have added a few and they have been acknowledged and will be implemented. When, I am not sure, no comments on time please.

It all really depends on what you want from it. I am totally new to it as some of you are and have been in the game for a long time. You are voicing your contempt all the while. I have been guilty of that too, on many occasions I have been deleted and sometimes I don't get it, other posts do far worse than me.

But I digress. I have the license, I have to live with it so I will make the most of it and help it along as best I can.

And why not?

Comment

• TLMD
              • Sep 2012
              • 5.6.X

Originally posted by DemOnstar
              I have the license, I have to live with it so I will make the most of it and help it along as best I can.
              Cool! I wish you all the best luck!

Maybe, when you have made the most of it (= setting up a live site?), you want to share your experience with us? I'd really like to see something else than this official forum running vB5 to get a better idea of all the "versatility" of vB5! That would be... awesome?

Comment

• feldon23
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.7.x

I think it comes down to what you're used to. DemOnstar joined in November 2012 and so has not experienced the rock-solid nearly bug-free releases of vBulletin 2, 3, 3.5, and 3.6 where we all just installed on day one and rejoiced in how awesome the software was. This is not rose-colored glasses or revisionist history. The software just worked. And even minor annoyance bugs were fixed within hours in the running version on vBulletin.com and then a patch or update would be released within a few days for everyone to download.

Then things began to change. Releases slowed. Communication waned. And then vBulletin 4.0 was forced out in the last week of December to satisfy shareholders despite it being a trainwreck. So many things in vB4 just didn't work at launch. The StyleVars system made it 5 times more difficult to customize than vB3.8. It took a year for major bugs to get fixed, and 2 years to get vB4 stabilized to a point where it was as usable as the old gold standard -- vBulletin 3.8.7.

I think trying to build a site on vB5 right now would be like building a foundation on quicksand. It's just not ready, and I figure it will take 2 years to get it ready just like we saw with vB4. If I had to stick with vBulletin, I'd build a community on vB3.8.7 or 4.2. Not in a million years would I install vBulletin 5 right now. Not with how broken the software is here at vB.com and how many weeks have gone by without even major show-stopping bugs being fixed.

Comment

• wii
                  • Sep 2000
                  • 3.8.x

DemOnstar, you're new, so everything is forgiven

Old boys like myself that remember how a Gold release was working from day one, are not as patient with the current state of vBulletin. I can certainly forgive minor bugs here and there, but vB5 have so many bugs that it should be considered an early Beta release at best.

I've said this before, but I will say it again, vB 3.8.7 is the best version ever released, I have no issues with it at all
                  B 4.2.0 running on another domain is ok, not as stable and bugfree as 3.8.7, but ok.

So imagine when vB5 will be considered a stable release? It could take years?

Comment

• DemOnstar
                    • Nov 2012

ctrl V

I like the comment versatile followed by the tongue in cheek, very apt.

Originally posted by feldon23
                    I think it comes down to what you're used to. DemOnstar joined in November 2012 and so has not experienced the rock-solid nearly bug-free releases of vBulletin 2, 3, 3.5, and 3.6 where we all just installed on day one and rejoiced in how awesome the software was.

I have to agree with you, I wasn't aware of this technology up until 2 years ago when I first visited a forum for information. I appreciate that you boys, veterans if you like, you have been in this field for years along with many other members. What do I know?
                    And yes it does depend on what you are used to, I come to this site and see dissatisfaction, I am used to that too. I see it almost everyday of my life. It just doesn't just happen in this industry.
                    Ok, the bug free days are over with, you had them and now I have them. I would have thought, with your past experience that you should all be used to it by now. It didn't take me long to adapt.
                    And, if I had a history whereas, I was let down by a company so many times, I would question why I was still hanging around that same company for so long. It wouldn't take me long to adapt to that either.

I won't be attempting to build a site quite for some time, I have accepted that. If I needed it so urgently, as ever, I would have adapted to something else.

Originally posted by wii
                    DemOnstar, you're new, so everything is forgiven Old boys like myself that remember how a Gold release was working from day one, are not as patient with the current state of vBulletin.

I am not so patient either, it is my nature but shouting out and ranting, moaning and complaining about the same things everyday would make me even more impatient. It is ok to get something off your chest but I can't really see it helping matters. I don't think they will put out the next release because people are irritated. They only do that for the ones bigger than them as you have seen.
                    The management have realised they have made a cock up and now they are letting the dev peeps have more time between releases to help with the burden that management created upon them. It makes perfect sense. The Beta stage was 1 week before the next release and the none Beta stages are a quite a bit longer to help alleviate the rush. Again, it makes sense. Its a kind of candid apology from management to the dev team and support crew, the least they could do.

And we get an un rushed update. Eventually.

ctrl A ctrl C

Comment

• durruti
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 4.1.x

VB5 will become at least gold release quality roughly 1 - 1.5 years from now, that's a given provided that constant daily complaints are posted continuously. It also need some luck, that is XF doesn't come out with revolutionary new product during the interval.

Constant daily complaints are essential since we all know based upon evidences and track records, IB has very little care for its customers. All of its efforts are directed at one thing and one thing only, maximum profit at the expense of its customers. VB5 rushed and premature release cost the customers severely, primarily on the delayed VB4 improvement and its precarious future - obviously, since logically speaking; VB5 is now the star product and not VB4 (such is not true if VB5 is not being officially released yet).

Thus considering the massive rip off, I only have one hope in mind; that is for VB5 to succeed within the given time frame above. That's the only justification left at least for me to look forward for since I do love VB. I just don't share the same love towards IB.

Comment

• DemOnstar
                        • Nov 2012

ctrl V

Originally posted by durruti
                        I only have one hope in mind; that is for VB5 to succeed within the given time frame above. That's the only justification left at least for me to look forward for since I do love VB. I just don't share the same love towards IB.

Then maybe a spokesperson from IB should be standing up here, (providing that said spokesperson from IB ever visits). There is a lot for IB to learn.

Would you agree that the current progress of VB is the fault of IB?
                        From what I keep reading, it is IB who has forced the issue. The rushed release.

Given the complaints received on this site alone, would you not think it better if IB were to leave VB alone and let VB alone decide when it is ready?

I am sure that VB alone would not have released it if there were no IB constraints.

This is another example of corporate takeover putting art into shrink wrap.

ctrl A ctrl C
                        Last edited by DemOnstar; Wed 27 Mar '13, 8:15am.

Comment