X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Contramontanum
    • Feb 2004
    • 3.8.x

What happened to vB?

I've been a vB customer since 2002 (or so), and mostly pretty happy with both product and CS. Last time I've had an active board was 3.8xx, and now I'm thinking of getting back in the game, but perusing this forum the past few months has me questioning if vB is the right choice. I want a board and a CMS that makes it easy to create articles and such and functions well on mobile devices. I have an (old) owned license, and realize I'll have to pony up the full price for the latest version, but that's besides the point. I can't even find out if vB5 is still in beta or officially released as a mature product fully backed by the company. From the [URL="http://vb5connect.com/"]company's propaganda[/URL="http://vb5connect.com/"] it seems to be a stellar product, but reading up on the customer feedback here tells a different story. So did something happen while my back was turned and Jelsoft was acquired by Internet Brands, Inc.? Would you launch a new project with the current status of vB5 Connect?
    Chop Dewey
  • Contramontanum
    • Feb 2004
    • 3.8.x

Looks like the link function leaves something to be desired...
    Chop Dewey

Comment

• consigliere
      consigliere commented
      Editing a comment
      The link function is intermittent... like most features of this rubbish piece of software.
  • edenx
    • Oct 2004
    • 3.5.x

Testing Link
    Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

• edenx
      • Oct 2004
      • 3.5.x

[URL="http://www.google.com"]test[/URL="http://www.google.com"]

Comment

• tickedon
        • Jan 2004
        • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

Originally posted by Contramontanum
        So did something happen while my back was turned and Jelsoft was acquired by Internet Brands, Inc.?
        Yep. Plus familiar faces left; new people joined; lawsuits launched (and later settled) against ex-staff and addon developers; vb4 and vb5 launched. And Digital Point finally moved off vBulletin after years of speculation.

Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
        # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
        # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

Comment

• Dave B
          • Apr 2001

Would you launch a new project with the current status of vB5 Connect?

I would not launch a project with an Internet Brands product.

Comment

• The Crow
            • Jan 2009
            • 4.2.X

If you're not familiar or happy with the other options out there, I'd upgrade the license and install vB 4.2, then wait a year or so to see how vB5C turns out. vB4 won't be EOL (I assume) for at least another 3 or 4 years anyway, so you'd have time to look into other options, wait longer for vB5C to become a good enough product for you or even wait for vB6. The ACP is still the same as the 3x series, so you wouldn't have to learn anything new.

For my two latest projects I've chosen xF and I'm starting to test a conversion of my main vB 4.2 forum into xF. I love vBulletin, but I can't stay with 4.2 forever, I won't be upgrading to vB5C, so I don't really have a choice.

Comment

• Contramontanum
              • Feb 2004
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by tickedon
              And Digital Point finally moved off vBulletin after years of speculation.
              Looks like they're using XF? And also not accepting new members
              Last edited by Contramontanum; Fri 22 Mar '13, 4:00am.
              Chop Dewey

Comment

• Contramontanum
                • Feb 2004
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by The Crow
                If you're not familiar or happy with the other options out there, I'd upgrade the license and install vB 4.2, then wait a year or so to see how vB5C turns out. vB4 won't be EOL (I assume) for at least another 3 or 4 years anyway, so you'd have time to look into other options, wait longer for vB5C to become a good enough product for you or even wait for vB6. The ACP is still the same as the 3x series, so you wouldn't have to learn anything new. For my two latest projects I've chosen xF and I'm starting to test a conversion of my main vB 4.2 forum into xF. I love vBulletin, but I can't stay with 4.2 forever, I won't be upgrading to vB5C, so I don't really have a choice.
                I was very happy with 3.8. Not sure about paying $250 to get something that might never pan out judging by the massive amount of negative reviews I'm seeing. Are you happy with xF so far? I just signed up for a demo acct. Do they have addons for portals/articles/pages etc?
                Chop Dewey

Comment

• The Crow
                  The Crow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm very happy with xF. The only reason I'm not converting my main board to it yet is because I need a couple of mods that aren't available in xF yet, but I'm working on a test upgrade anyway, I may convert even without the mods eventually. If you were happy with 3.8 then you can continue using it, it's a perfectly good piece of software, probably the best vBulletin version available. You can always upgrade down the road to either a newer vBulletin version or to a different software.

• consigliere
                  consigliere commented
                  Editing a comment
                  xF is fast and very useable.

I've migrated my site and its a good piece of software. I had the same users in vB4 and then (sadly) 5 and they are over the moon. Its a no brainer.

Oh... they have customer service too, and in less than a week.
              • feldon23
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by The Crow
                If you're not familiar or happy with the other options out there, I'd upgrade the license and install vB 4.2, then wait a year or so to see how vB5C turns out. vB4 won't be EOL (I assume) for at least another 3 or 4 years anyway, so you'd have time to look into other options, wait longer for vB5C to become a good enough product for you or even wait for vB6. The ACP is still the same as the 3x series, so you wouldn't have to learn anything new. For my two latest projects I've chosen xF and I'm starting to test a conversion of my main vB 4.2 forum into xF. I love vBulletin, but I can't stay with 4.2 forever, I won't be upgrading to vB5C, so I don't really have a choice.
                I was very happy with 3.8. Not sure about paying $250 to get something that might never pan out judging by the massive amount of negative reviews I'm seeing. Are you happy with xF so far? I just signed up for a demo acct. Do they have addons for portals/articles/pages etc?
                Most of the negative views of xF are based on the fact that software development stopped for 8 months as the lolsuit wore on and it seemed that there would never be a meaningful outcome. Development has resumed.

What I woulds say about both vB5 and xF is, wait and see what the next 2-3 months bear out. The difference should be unmistakable.

Comment

• is_it_me
                  is_it_me commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "lolsuit " < that actually made me lol.

• rudedog1968
                  rudedog1968 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ++ on lolsuit

• IcEWoLF
                  IcEWoLF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's true that one guy over on the other side is very good as well....
              • TLMD
                • Sep 2012
                • 5.6.X

Originally posted by feldon23
                [Most of the negative views of xF are based on the fact that software development stopped for 8 months as the lolsuit wore on and it seemed that there would never be a meaningful outcome.

As I am new to vB and I recognized that (for some reason I don't know) talking about the lawsuit isn't allowed here: Is there any source to get more information on this topic?

Comment

• feldon23
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.7.x

Comment

• TLMD
                  TLMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for this!

• consigliere
                  consigliere commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That clarrifies the basket case which is vB4 well..... and little wonder 5 is unuseable.

• Shamil.
                  Shamil. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Time to kick squid cache server again.
              • Deimos
                • Oct 2002
                • 3.8.x

At this point, you can wait 2+ years to see if VB5 turns into anything remotely modern/useable, but I wouldn't count on it.

VB4 took 2ish years to get to 4.2 at which point I think most people consider it "Gold" (Good) for a software of it's age

VB5 has just launched (albeit very quietly) as unofficial "Gold", but it's in a much worse state than VB4 on launch, so I'd imagine 2 years or more, it might reach 5.2, but it'll probably take longer

If you're on either 3.X or 4.X? Don't bother with VB.

IPB is an aquired taste, I'll admit, but at this point, it's superior to VB
                XF is not as feature rich, but considering it has ONE open bug report and is very ahead of it's time, with a rich plugin community, it's also a worthy contender to VB 3/4
                There is no competitor to VB5, because it really is that poor.

Comment

• TLMD
                  TLMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  History will only repeat again, if there are still enough customers buying the software. And if so, it is a clear sign that there is no problem with releasing a not working product.

• dilbert
                  dilbert commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Since you can't quote a comment, I'll continue with the nonsense of adding a comment.
                  There will not be a vb6, if they don't get vb5 under control soon, they will lose all of their customers.
                  Honestly, what choice do we have? vb4 i unusable due to the CKeditor issue with IE10, and vb5 is unusable because it's vb5 and most features are missing, and what little is here is very broken.

I liked vb in the past, and wanted to remain loyal, but I really feel like they want us to leave. Seriously, they offered us this crap product as vb5?

• Knight0319
                  Knight0319 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really makes you wonder what's going on up at the top. IPB is looking like a better solution at the current time. We shouldn't be expected to "wait a few months for the product to get better." I mean seriously, come on guys. Should I expect to be sold melted ice cream and then be told to put it in the freezer and wait for it to get better? No.

I wish they'd concentrate on giving vB5 a look more closer to Feldon's mockups. Not likely though.. Currently not that big of a fan of the current gray theme with all this blue, though the design is a step in the right direction at the very least... http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/album...use-of-vb5-%60
                  Last edited by Knight0319; Sat 23 Mar '13, 10:01pm.
              • Contramontanum
                • Feb 2004
                • 3.8.x

I'm detecting a pattern here.
                Chop Dewey

Comment

• fungku
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 4.0.x

All I can say is that they should not be accepting money for vB5.

I wish I had stayed with VB4.

Who know what it will be like later, but I'm not so sure it is worth purchasing vB5 at the moment. It should be in Beta. (or is it? I don't know, did I pay $250 to be a beta tester?)
                  Last edited by fungku; Sat 23 Mar '13, 8:26pm.

Comment