Think twice before buying vBulletin 5 Connect.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • captainslater
    • Jun 2006

Screaming doesn't help to solve any problems.
    You get support in the forums too - so you may just describe your problem so we could help you.
    To infinity and beyond!
    Deutschsprachige vBulletin News & Tipps
    captainslater
    - Eine vBulletin Cloud-Site

Comment

• z-at-ox
      • May 2013

Originally posted by Dominic
      Screaming doesn't help to solve any problems.
      You get support in the forums too - so you may just describe your problem so we could help you.
      That is a big part of the problem, you can't. All of my problems have gone unanswered, I have created multiples topics without getting help. The only help the support team can give is rookie mistakes.

Comment

• xrayhead
        • Nov 2002

Originally posted by consigliere

I'm off to zenforo........it works. Its light. Its fast... and they have vision. Surprisingly enough the British also seem to understand customer service.

Do you mean http://xenforo.com/ ???? I'm personally sick of all the updates, I cant even get my 4.1 updated to 4.2.2 at present without it completely breaking the style I have spent so much time on!

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by xrayhead

Do you mean http://xenforo.com/ ???? I'm personally sick of all the updates, I cant even get my 4.1 updated to 4.2.2 at present without it completely breaking the style I have spent so much time on!
          Updates often do break styles. You will find this with other products too.
          And what do you mean by "all the updates"?
          4.2.2 was released on 9th October 2013.
          4.2.1 was released on 13th April 2013, six months previously to 4.2.2
          4.2.0 was released on 22nd May 2012, eleven months previously to 4.2.1

So that's three versions in a year and a half - hardly excessive by any standards.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Howden
            • Oct 2015
            • 5.1.x

Yep, total wast of money. Literally would have been better giving it away. Install didnt work. No refund!
            Amazingly, I got an email from support saying that they had seen the problem before, that it was common, that they wouldnt be able to make the swoftware work for me, but NO the would not gioe me a refund!
            Criminal!
            DO NOT BUY unless you are in the habit of betting $200 on the flip of a coin!

Comment

• bengie44
              • Nov 2015
              • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Howden
              Yep, total wast of money. Literally would have been better giving it away. Install didnt work. No refund!
              Amazingly, I got an email from support saying that they had seen the problem before, that it was common, that they wouldnt be able to make the swoftware work for me, but NO the would not gioe me a refund!
              Criminal!
              DO NOT BUY unless you are in the habit of betting $200 on the flip of a coin!

I'm not a fan of Ver 5, badly thought out and amatuerishly written, I'm not so sure I made a sensible move in upgrading from Ver 4.
              But I must say one thing about your post. There are hundreds of VB Ver 5 forums running, including mine, so you can't say the install failure was a fault of VB, it was obviously something you did or didn't do.

Comment

• Howden
                • Oct 2015
                • 5.1.x

No. Thats the point. It has nothing to do with what I did or didnt do. This has been confirmed by my own host support staff AND vbulletin support!
                Vbulletin themselves are quite aware of what the problem is and have admitted openly that a) they dont know how to fix it. b) they have seen it many times before. c) they will nto refund.
                Yes, there are many forums that dont have the problem. Apparently there are many potentials that do. To vbulletin, that seems not to be a problem.

Comment

• Howden
                  • Oct 2015
                  • 5.1.x

Now looking at reviews all round the net and realising I was an idiot for even thinking about using this company. There are SO many bad reviews.
                  I think i dodged a bullet to be honest. Better to lose a few hundred quid than have the forum start screwing up with a 100,000 members!

Comment

• In Omnibus
                    • Apr 2010

Nothing commands attention quite like bumping a 26 month old thread and posting to oneself.

Comment

• medved
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
                      Nothing commands attention quite like bumping a 26 month old thread and posting to oneself.
                      Yet the name of this topic is still relevant.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by medved

Yet the name of this topic is still relevant.
                        The topic is relevant to any purchase. Caveat emptor. The vast majority of the complaints about the vB5 product have been due to what?

Comment

• Historic Trucks
                          • Dec 2015
                          • 5.1.x

I am NOT a computer nurd at all and wanted to set up a simple forum so I looked around for a while and found Vbulletin. Site was purchased set up and loaded within 2 days the site has now been running for about 2 weeks and I am just fine tuning it.

Thank you to the support staff who have helped out this complete novice.

Comment

• medved
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
                            The topic is relevant to any purchase.
                            Not as much as to vB5. You don't need to think twice about vB4, that one is good and i love using it as end user. So i thought vB5 must be even better when it is higher number. And that was my biggest mistake in my web life. I have never seen a payed platform in such disastrous conditions. Even now, as I write this, right mouse click doesn't work . It shows me only "Paste" and "Add Table". Not to mention forum is extremely slow. Adding photos is a disaster too. And the "Most users ever online" always sets to the current number at the time I log into the admin. After several years of development they are not able to make work properly "Most users ever online". WTF!!! What kind of "experts" are behind this project when they are not able AFTER SEVERAL YEARS make "Most users ever online" work properly? Can you explain that to me please?

Comment

• IggyP
                              • Mar 2012

im looking forward to what vb5 can be someday but it is indeed frustrating for some basic functionality issues to go unresolved while they push ahead in other areas like making 20 new custom themes? that kinda surprised me....then so far 5.2.0 seems good everyone is happy for hooks coming back but its over 100 or so regression issues that all the forward progess has broken so for an average customer it can seem like.....when will basic functionality exist for this product??? basic things like albums, ads, cross publishing or basic functions working properly...i even took 6months or so off so the development could come along farther, and it has some, but still lacks those basic type things thats very important for any live site to be taken seriously.

just basic stuff even like when u try to do something like i just wanted to add some pictures as ads and ended up taking a day and a half just to code around everything to make it work is like a form of torture...for 2+ years into a "gold" release i would like to see more balance between pushing new developments like style creation ahead and just making the software WORK a bit better...

Comment

• In Omnibus
                                • Apr 2010

I bought multiple vB5 licenses the day it came out so I fully understand the frustration with certain issues, however if you want the functionality of vB4 then why not use vB4?

Comment

• medved
                                  medved commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  It is not possible to "upgrade" from vB5 to vB4, don't you know that? I call it upgrade because vb4 is the higher, better version in this case. And there is no refund.
                                  BTW, after i clicked button "Post" it took almost 30seconds till it was actually posted, extremely slow website.
                                  BTW 2, it can't even display quotation marks properly. Error after error.
                                  Last edited by medved; Mon 21 Dec '15, 6:33pm.

• IggyP
                                  IggyP commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  yup basic functionality, thats what i mean...for me i keep a vb5 copy installed cuz its a little back to that i can see the vb5 potential thing...i am pretty certain it is what i will eventually be using so may as well grow with it was my thinking....just didnt think it would be so dragged out years and years with devs priorities completely scattered in the wind....i also didnt like the cms in vb4 and theres certain reasons like that where stuff didnt total make sense that it seems thats why they abandoned vb4 and started a total rewrite to begin with...cuz it was easier than trying to fix/finish vb4...
                                  ultimately i want to customize a tabbed thread feature(like wiki) and vb5 already has the tabs there, but i wont even start with that project until albums are useable and work, alot to ask?...plus just certain features like easy insertion of 5 diff clickable thumbs inline is so cool, but its just those teaser features that keep many of us reluctantly struggling with vb5 while we wait for basic functions to catch up...

maybe i dont understand somethings but i tend to think if vb devs take all these kinda core issues that even effect their own site like medved mentioned and fix em i cant imagine that would take more than 2-3 versions...they can still move fwd other issues like hooks that ppl are begging for, and ya im sure some ppl were begging and crying for more themes but those basic functions gotta be more focus imho...its just a little ridic...u have to admit