X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evil-maniac
    • May 2005

Originally posted by vBulletin
    Hi,

We apologize but we do not provide refunds to software that has been downloaded. Our records also indicate that you have filed a dispute with PayPal.

No refunds will be issued.

Biggest mistake I did was pay these people

Comment

• OhioDave
      Banned
      • Jul 2012

Hopefully you can get a refund via paypal or your credit card company.

The software is a disaster. The marketing is deceptive and borderline criminal.

It cant even be sugar coated any more. Management should just come out and say its a total failure.

Comment

• David Copeland
        • May 2000

The quote from VBulletin stating that once the sofware is downloaded, they will not provide a refund.

What about those of us who bought Ver 5 as a presale and have not downloaded the software? Would we be entitled to a refund?

David

DAVID COPELAND
        Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
        Celebrating 22 Years with VB

Comment

• oldz442
          • Apr 2012

or those who just tested it behind an htaccess. No matter though, already switched to the 'other' place already. Will still run 4.2 for awhile longer though.
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by David Copeland
            The quote from VBulletin stating that once the sofware is downloaded, they will not provide a refund. What about those of us who bought Ver 5 as a presale and have not downloaded the software? Would we be entitled to a refund? David
            If you have never downloaded the software email [email protected] and they can confirm if you are eligible for a refund. No one on the forums can issue you a refund- it must be a ticket/email with the sales department.

Comment

• findingpeace
              • Jan 2013

What a good idea! Brush up on VB4.2 - maybe implementing a newer CMS and addressing some of the longstanding bug-reports (the editor, for example).

And please forget all of this AJAX / scrolling nonsense

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by flylife
                Myself had a week of stress of not getting support and now I am totally ignored when I am asking for refund. No reply in the last 2 days. I used Paypal to purchase and then I applied for a refund through them. Wayne from the support told me they can't fix my problem ( my forum looks like this http://www.cantafly.com/fvb/ and there is no Site Builder available ) until I will cancel my refund claim. I did that not knowing that once you closed the claim you cannot reopen it. Since then no reply and they are ignoring me totally now. I can't believe this is happening. STOP BUYING THIS SOFTWARE! THIS IS A SCAM.
                You issued a charge back though paypal, which stopped us from providing support. Until the issue is resolved, we really can't move forward. Your site has a unique issue that is causing the software to stop failing. We've never seen this issue with any other specific site.

Try working with us, we'll do our best to get you up and running.

Comment

• OhioDave
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Zachery
                  ...Your site has a unique issue that is causing the software to stop failing. We've never seen this issue with any other specific site. Try working with us, we'll do our best to get you up and running.
                  Is the issue using vBulletin 5?

Comment

• consigliere
                    • Oct 2012
                    • 4.2.X

We have tried working with you.

After 10 years I am truly disgusted and I'm gone.........not just because of the software but because of the attitude of your sales people. It saddens me that you can dismantle such a great business like this, but its done.

Comment

• Fever905
                      Fever905 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The attitude thing I agree with sadly..
                  • MikeF
                    • Jan 2006

This software has had a rough take off. It is important that after these issues are resolved, that the development team and support staff ensure that there is a soft landing and that these problems, whether perceived or real, never take place again. I think if the emphasis is on API handling, this should be the cornerstone of all future development, including 3rd party modifications. This is the only way to ensure continuing compatibility across major rewrites.

Sales has some justification not to refund you -- you agree to a number of things when you buy the software, and that includes an AS-IS provision. Just like when you purchase Windows Server, you can't just send it back.

However, the customers of the software will always be the cornerstone of the software and are what make future development possible. It should become a serious consideration to provide future add-ons free of charge to license holders. I am mindful that the CEO of Electronic Arts just resigned over the launch of SimCity 5... a video game. When you think about the hundreds of thousands of sites this software is on, a major change of this extent is going to anger a lot of people, especially when there are bugs that had not been seen in QA testing.

A "we're right and you're wrong" policy needs to be abandoned by sales support right away, and some concessions towards keeping license holders satisfied until most issues can be cleared up should now become a top priority. The psychology of all of this is very few new customers who are satisfied are going to come online and voice their contentment with the software. Quite to the contrary, it is always going to be those who are losing business who make the fuss, and rightfully so.

If it is possible, you may want to consider taking some extraordinary measures if this project falls through - potentially even providing limited-time (say 1 year?) free VB5 licensing to existing vBulletin 4 license holders. The problem seems to be that the upgrade from VB4 to VB5 is just too much for most forum owner to handle right now. An improvement in this area once all of the show stopper problems are ironed out is recommended, IMO.

Comment

• consigliere
                      consigliere commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sales has some justification not to refund you -- you agree to a number of things when you buy the software, and that includes an AS-IS provision. Just like when you purchase Windows Server, you can't just send it back.
                      What... so the fact we have a version of the software that doesnt work, and is all but useless is a basis for denying a refund?

Its no different to buying a broken kettle. It doesnt work.... you return it for a refund. Sure we still have the broken software but seriously... what are we going to do with it? This is the basis of my issue.....vBulletin have sold a product that doesnt work, have no direction or target dates for when it WILL work, but wont own up to it nor refund the purchasers money leaving us in limbo.

And they wonder why customers are bailing out..... after uploading xenForo to my site I'm amazed that I stuck around for vB4 to be honest. Its lightning.

• MikeF
                      MikeF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Really now, you are using it to write this, so how broken is it? It's a rough release. It will be patched. And you have a license for this software, even if you buy that license, instead of pay for it on the regular... even if you are awarded a license. A license is still a license. And it has terms. Sorry that this is the reality of the world, but it most certainly is. We can all go burn our Beatles records or we can provide feedback. You decide.
                  • Deimos
                    • Oct 2002
                    • 3.8.x

Best thing for people who want a refund right now, is just query the transaction with your bank
                    If you paid via Credit/debit card, request a chargeback (not a reversal/dispute)
                    Even debit cards offer chargeback protection these days.
                    And file a report with the better business bureau (it might do some good, who knows), not really sure who else you could contact

Comment

• rudedog1968
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 3.8.x

If you're in the US you could also file a small claims suite in your home city. Even though vB states no refunds after download, many people purchased the software thinking that it would actually work once you downloaded it (meaning you would be able to import large db's in a reasonable time, have a basic functioning board, working with current released browsers.....)

Do a bit of research in regards to small claims court and like Deimos mentioned follow up with the BBB.

However the most important thing you can do is spread the word on how vB works/ed for you. Word of mouth is the best recourse, save someone else from this disaster.
                      Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• Deimos
                        • Oct 2002
                        • 3.8.x

Forgot about the small claims court, yea, that would be a good avenue to take, if IB are uncooperative.

Comment

• doctorsexy
                          doctorsexy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It would cost more than its worth...
                      • Fever905
                        • Mar 2013

Just get the software working! I got an email from google today saying I had 250 500 Server errors. When i logged in to see what they were they were all from the VB5 forum!!! Now this is causing me grief with google. They will lower my search result positions if I dont correct this.

I'm getting rid of VB5 right now and going to 4. I am a NEW user who purchased VB5 about a month ago. I have emailed to ask about getting the Facebook plugin for VB4 for free as I dont feel I should have to buy it since it was supposed to be included as part of VB5. So far not even a reply to my email from sales.....

Comment

• Fever905
                          • Mar 2013

Installed VB4 today. VERY fast and responsive. Absolutely no setup issues. Extremely happy, now I just need the facebook integration plugin and I'm happy! The forum even goes full-width of the page which makes more sense.

Comment