X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DemOnstar
    • Nov 2012

It is a total mess.

I would say complete mess but complete it isn't.

Before you mods, admins or whoever delete this thread please look at the following.
    I know already that it will be deleted on issues like each of the following needs to be in a thread of its own. It already is.
    I know also that the thread is rather critical of VB and that also is a reason to delete or close.

I could write so much but what would be the point?
    This is a very slow and confusing mess! The site before it was changed over was a pleasure to be a part of. Now frankly it is not.

I ask you before you delete it to show it to your superiors, that is indeed if you have any care or concern about the direction of VBulletin 5 connect.

Are you happy with the progress?
    3.70%
    Are you not happy with the progress?
    96.30%
    Last edited by DemOnstar; Mon 4 Mar '13, 3:38am.

• DemOnstar
    • Nov 2012

I agree here:

I agree here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...page-numbering.

I agree here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...viewing-thread.

I agree here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...ry-gives-error.

I am concerned here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...ry-gives-error.

What is happening and how is it being dealt with?

Thankyou......

Comment

• DemOnstar
      • Nov 2012

By the way, all of the above was meant to be one post but I couldn't get the software to do that.

Call me incompetent, I don't mind the criticism.

How do you people deal with criticism?

Comment

• DemOnstar
        • Nov 2012

There is no way that I am going to even try to upload this.

I will wait until it is deemed by VBulletin to be stable as this site obviously is not.

I do apologize for this intrusion but there hundreds of people within this community with the same concerns as I and (if you were honest with yourselves) you too.

There are good things here that work ok but from my restricted point of view, it seems the problems lie with basic functionality.
        I have been a member of this site for only a few months but I read the concerns of others and identify and relate to those concerns.

I read also that VB 5 should not be used on a live site but, here we are on a live site.

Sort it out please, something is not quite up to scratch.

Thanks so so much.

Last edited by DemOnstar; Mon 4 Mar '13, 3:37am.

Comment

• DemOnstar
          • Nov 2012

I know also that the poll is useless as I fear VBulletin already know the end result and that is another reason for the deletion of this thread. It has happened before and will undoubtedly happen again.

By the way, spell check is working ok.

Also, notifications are working well apart form having to delete them every time. And that means going back to messages and repeating the same actions, also not ease of use.

It is not all bad, really there are some good things.

Last edited by DemOnstar; Mon 4 Mar '13, 4:06am.

Comment

• djbaxter
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by DemOnstar
            It is not all bad, really there are some good things.
            What are the good things?
            Last edited by djbaxter; Mon 4 Mar '13, 4:40am.
            Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
            Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• DemOnstar
              DemOnstar commented
              Editing a comment
              It is a fair question.

Not really easy to answer that one but I like the notification thingy, I also like the auto scroll when it works. I like the comments on comments too as this is how I discovered your interaction here, I also noticed you voted, that is a pretty good addition but needs some tweaking.

There are some good things here, would you care to add any?

• djbaxter
              djbaxter commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven't found anything about vB5 that I like, frankly. For me that's sad because I've long been a fan of vBulletin, even before I purchased mt first license. It's been the gold standard in my opinion since about vB 3.5 or 3.6.

I was willing to put it down to growing pains and betas and I was prepared for the "Gold" release to be just another beta, since that what IB did with vB4 and it eventually turned into a decent product.

But seriously, vB5 "Gold" is so clunky, awkward, ugly, and SLOW that it's hard to find any redeeming features. I need to buy another forum license some time in the next month or two and for the first time I'm looking very seriously at IPB - making sure that there are add-ons for IPB that I consider to be essential. I haven't looked at IPB in a while and I haven't in the past liked much about that software as a visitor to or member of forums that use it, but my impression is that they have made some good progress. Sadly, their product seems to be improving at the same rate as vBulletin is deteriorating.
          • TLMD
            • Sep 2012
            • 5.6.X

Sorry, but... what!?

You start saying "this thread will be deleted" (4 times already in your initial post), then you add a poll of which you later say, it is useless, because everybody knows its result. Then it is the delete-thing again. Finally, not everything is bad. Err...

I completely agree though, that vB5 currently is not very comfortable to use because of its bugs and lack of features. Many people did say that already. But this thread is not really helpful despite giving a chance to click that "I am not happy"-option in the poll to get rid of some frustration.

Comment

• DemOnstar
              DemOnstar commented
              Editing a comment
              Of course not all is bad, some of it when it is complete will be excellent but right now as you say "it is not very comfortable", and for the reasons you refer to.

As regards your comment about closing threads, I have had a number of occasions where this has happened.
              I expect the same result of this one.

And frustration as you rightly point out is the very factor that prompted this particular topic. I am one of many (including yourself) who share this emotional response. It is real pain by comparison to how it used to behave. This is the crux of the whole deal!

Thank you for your positivity, especially in your voting.

• TLMD
              TLMD commented
              Editing a comment
              I get your point, but personally I think a thread, that will most likely get closed asap, is not very useful either.

Oh, and regarding the voting: I actually did not vote at all.
          • DemOnstar
            • Nov 2012

Voting yes, that my friend @TLMD is exactly what I mean.
            Last edited by DemOnstar; Mon 4 Mar '13, 5:30am.

Comment

• DemOnstar
              • Nov 2012

Maybe the title of the thread is incorrect?

It could read, Is it a total mess?

Comment

• DemOnstar
                DemOnstar commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh look, it is back at the top again. How the hell would anybody expect that from a closed thread? Beats me.
            • Bigforumfan
              • Aug 2001

The most important aspect is speed and VB5 is SLOOOOOOOOW as a turtle.

Comment

• DemOnstar
                DemOnstar commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed! It is getting there but a little turtle like as you say. But to be fair, they and we all know that.

• Neutral Singh
                Neutral Singh commented
                Editing a comment
                Even a turtle would be embarrassed!
            • Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Moved as this isn't really support related. It is feedback related. And yes, there is a difference.

Threads/Posts are only deleted if they are spam or violate our community guidelines.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Loco.M
                Loco.M commented
                Editing a comment
                or "are not helpful".. don't forget the staff opinion on what the customers say

• Wayne Luke
                Wayne Luke commented
                Editing a comment
                Posts deleted with the "Unhelpful" description are ones against our guidelines. They seem more toned to incite argument than invite discussion. The unhelpful is me trying to be polite.

• Loco.M
                Loco.M commented
                Editing a comment
                ok Wayne, I don't see how any of my post haven't been helpful but I guess it's a matter of opinion really.
                We're all just really frustrated with the "script" that IB is paying the devs to produce.
                We miss the quality products that vbulletin use to be known for.
            • Dan Simon
              • Mar 2004
              • 3.6.x

A different perspective (perhaps):

I've got vB5 running on a fairly busy (3 million+ post) production site. There are certainly a number of features that have yet to be implemented, but what is there makes for a functional forum.

I had issues with speed and performance (particularly due to a series of ongoing DDoS attacks), but have found that implementing APC to prevent or limit file I/O has had a huge impact -- the forums are running quite smoothly and responding quickly. The main slowdown that I'm seeing is a delay when actually making a post -- I haven't found a good way to speed that up yet. But browsing has become quite zippy.

Comment

• Dan Simon
                Dan Simon commented
                Editing a comment
                It was an upgrade from vB 4, yes. I had forums (and blogs) only - the CMS had been disabled.

• Loco.M
                Loco.M commented
                Editing a comment
                URL?
                I'd love to see vb5 on a large production site

• djpretzel
                djpretzel commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd like to see the URL as well. I'm curious... if APC made such a difference, is it enabled here on vbulletin.com? Because this site seems rather slow; furthermore, most links can't be clicked when the gold "Working" box is present, which happens often.
            • Lawrence Cole
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by DemOnstar
              I would say complete mess but complete it isn't. Before you mods, admins or whoever delete this thread please look at the following. I know already that it will be deleted on issues like each of the following needs to be in a thread of its own. It already is. I know also that the thread is rather critical of VB and that also is a reason to delete or close. I could write so much but what would be the point? This is a very slow and confusing mess! The site before it was changed over was a pleasure to be a part of. Now frankly it is not. I ask you before you delete it to show it to your superiors, that is indeed if you have any care or concern about the direction of VBulletin 5 connect.
              No one will be deleting your thread. You raise concerns about issues that definitely need to be looked at. I will reach out to Mark Jean and see where each of these is in the current stack of priorities; and if they are not there, I'll work with the support team to get them there.
              Last edited by Lawrence Cole; Wed 6 Mar '13, 10:00am.

Comment

• Dan Simon
              • Mar 2004
              • 3.6.x

Some notes on the speed issues (since I've been working on getting a large-ish production site running vB5 up to snuff):

On initial install I was seeing VERY slow/sluggish behavior of vB5. Basically everything that folks have been complaining about. I did a fair bit of digging on my system and narrowed the bottleneck down to excessive disk I/O. Large numbers of users + high disk I/O + sporadic DDoS attacks = complete overload of the server.

The first major improvement I had was the simple installation and enabling of APC on the server. This all but eliminated the I/O concerns for routine PHP file access. Accessing of pages in the forums was MUCH improved. Almost zippy. But any write operation (as well as a few others) still took a long time and showed noticeable load increases on the server (due largely to I/O, though not on the web server).

Begin more troubleshooting and configuration changes. I finally switched all three of the cache settings in "/core/includes/config.php" over to use APC. A quick restart of the web server to activate the changes and everything (including write operations like posting) is working much (MUCH) faster. Perfectly acceptable in speed at this point.

So, as a single data point conclusion, I would _strongly_ recommend the use of APC with vBulletin. Almost to the extent of being a requirement.

Comment

• Dan Simon
                Dan Simon commented
                Editing a comment
                And what I'm saying is that _empirically_ I've found that switching from the default settings for the cache storage to APC has had a truly significant impact on the performance of the forums.

• Shamil.
                Shamil. commented
                Editing a comment
                That is fine, however, what I'm saying is that this shouldn't be the case for a well developed software.

• evil-maniac
                evil-maniac commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree that APC should not be a requirement; and although this is an extremely nice suggestion (thank you Dan), I hope it does not give vBulletin incentive to slack seeing as a temporary work around (to the incompetence of their code) is now known. It is sad that APC has to be used to make a brand new installation of vBulletin 5 run as fast as vBulletin 4 (and products on the market by competitors).
                Last edited by evil-maniac; Tue 5 Mar '13, 6:38pm.
            • DemOnstar
              • Nov 2012

The result of the poll does seem rather unanimous at this point. I feel it made some difference but how much difference I am not sure. We shall see.
              I expect and hope the result will be a definite and not just a looking into.

Good job everybody, (us and them)

I am not abandoning, just merely clarifying the fact. We have said things and they have been listened to and agreed with (on most points).
              If I had the option to vote again, my vote would be the same. This is VB 5, maybe VB5.2 or 3 will verify and honour the efforts made by all concerned?

Ultimately now, speed is the issue but that is another time.

Last edited by DemOnstar; Thu 7 Mar '13, 5:35am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...