X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deimos
    • Oct 2002
    • 3.8.x

Are there any active sites running VB5?

I'm curious to see how they perform/look.

• In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

Comment

• hornstar6969
      hornstar6969 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fairly sure by active he was referring to a site that has more activity then 1 person and 10 threads. Is that the best example you have?
  • TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

You can look up those sites by using Google and search for "Powered by vBulletin Version 5.0.0" (the line you can find in the footer). This is how I found for example the following site:

Comment

• TLMD
      TLMD commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem with opening that site on my end...

• Princeton
      Princeton commented
      Editing a comment
      it's loading now for me as well ... I guess they have load issues. I'll revisit during the usual busy times and see how things are going for them.

• Shamil.
      Shamil. commented
      Editing a comment
      We've been trying out vBulletin 5 for a couple of weeks now and needless to say we're pretty unimpressed. The forum software is highly unstable to say the least. However, it does bring some very nice features to a forum and the sleek design is very attractive. We're really unsure what to do at this point and are looking into our options.

At this point moving to another forum software is not an option for us. We've already sunk our teeth into vBulletin 5 and have many insightful posts and many registered users. We think that staying on the more "stable" release of vBulletin beta 24 will keep us going until they release a gold version. We may try another upgrade in the future once we've seen that the problems we encountered on beta 25 have been fixed, but we're not holding our breath.

That being said, we realize that this must be very frustrating for our members to sit through this with us, and for that we apologize to no end and want to extend our sincerest thanks to those that are sticking with us.

So this is us asking you guys what you think we should do, because we're open to suggestions. We're also initiating plans to move into a fully managed data center so we can avoid any service interruption in the future. We want this to be an enjoyable experience for everyone and a place that is available at any time.

Thanks guys for sticking it out with us during our rocky launch. It will get better, we promise!

• Ramsesx
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by TLMD
    You can look up those sites by using Google and search for "Powered by vBulletin Version 5.0.0" (the line you can find in the footer). This is how I found for example the following site:
    It seems the users are satisfied with it, most say it's a nice clean look.
    The speed is way better there than here.

Comment

• TLMD
      • Sep 2012
      • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Ramsesx
      Originally posted by TLMD
      It seems the users are satisfied with it, most say it's a nice clean look. The speed is way better there than here.
      Yes, personally I also like the design of vB5 very much. However, at the moment the many bugs are calming down any excitement that may rise. I just do not understand how someone can release a product that has so many things not working correctly, and we are talking about basic stuff! Gladly I am not planning to create a live site within the next months, so I am looking at vB5 quite relaxed while creating some bug reports and improvement requests in the tracker. If vB5 gets better after some time and also gets its promised new features, then I will start using it and start judging.

Regarding the speed: Yeah, the site is much smaller than this one, they do not nearly have as many topics and users as this site has. Maybe that is a reason.

Comment

• InfoNirvana
        • Apr 2007
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
        Looks like a test site.

Comment

• Deimos
          • Oct 2002
          • 3.8.x

Ah so only one site

But, funny how that site is much faster than the Vbulletin one

It'd be interesting to hear from the linus tech staff how the "up"grade has affected user activity/traffic or server load

Comment

• In Omnibus
            • Apr 2010

I'm currently running a vB5.0.0 test site with over 200 active forums without any speed or performance issues whatsoever.
            The only reason it isn't live yet is because I need the CMS.
            The thing is, even if it was live I wouldn't post the URL here.
            The last thing I want is the handful of concern trolls here on my site.

Comment

• Deimos
              • Oct 2002
              • 3.8.x

I think it's safe to say, a lot of us wouldn't visit or register on any site where you were in a position of power.
              So no worries

Comment

• Dan Simon
                • Mar 2004
                • 3.6.x

Running vB5 on a forum with ~3 mil posts. Performance was VERY laggy until I switched over to APC for both PHP caching as well as the cache control mechanism within vB5's config. Once those changes were in, the performance is actually quite nice.

The look is exactly what you see here -- I haven't bothered with any customizations other than changing out the logo and changing up the navbar a bit.

Comment

• Shamil.
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Dan Simon
                  Running vB5 on a forum with ~3 mil posts. Performance was VERY laggy until I switched over to APC for both PHP caching as well as the cache control mechanism within vB5's config. Once those changes were in, the performance is actually quite nice. The look is exactly what you see here -- I haven't bothered with any customizations other than changing out the logo and changing up the navbar a bit.
                  Link, if you may? Having to use a caching mechanism to attain a significant increase in performance isn't good, if it starts slow.
                  Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                  VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                  vBulletin Hosting and Services
                  Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Dan Simon
                    • Mar 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Not linking for the moment as I've been actively fighting some other issues on the server and want to limit the variables that I'm dealing with in tweaking out the configurations of the various systems involved.

Comment

• Shamil.
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Dan Simon
                      Not linking for the moment as I've been actively fighting some other issues on the server and want to limit the variables that I'm dealing with in tweaking out the configurations of the various systems involved.
                      Ok, well when you're ready.

It's interesting though, so many people I've asked to link aren't linking because of DDoS situations, server issues etc. I can almost predict the answer every time I ask, this is not directed at you, however.
                      Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                      VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                      vBulletin Hosting and Services
                      Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Dan Simon
                        • Mar 2004
                        • 3.6.x

I totally understand...and appreciate the frustration. If you're really interested, just a _little_ bit of clever searching will get you to the forums that I'm referring to -- I'm really just looking to keep from having a burst of traffic from linking here.

Under normal load conditions, I'm seeing about 100 requests/second for PHP files, with 500 write operations and 400 read operations for cacheing per second. The DDoS attacks have gone WAY down since I implemented the config changes (they tend to stop when they don't have an observable impact on the target site). Until I'm sure that they've moved on to better targets, I'd like to keep the load as low as possible to avoid giving them any positive feedback for their attacks.

Comment

• Shamil.
                          Shamil. commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I was actually going to try to search, but the overuse of javascript here is killing me, not to mention the site is very slow. For the home page to take 10 seconds to load, well,

At work, we're a team of 5 developers, we've developed an application that doesn't use an op-code cache, is heavily optimised in terms of queries, and any downtime would be extremely bad - and I mean bad in that customer data is regulated by a financial service authority... In terms of what we deal with, with usually over 80 people online at any time, most people have multiple tabs open, about 3 or so, we're having to output well over 100 rps, just from AJAX calls. The system is integrated into a VOIP system as well, we're still on PHP 5.3. You can image the amount of optimisations we've done, if I told you the server specs were, well, not powerful. SQL database total over 60GB in size, the SQL server has 8GB RAM with 20 paging file (MySQL on Windows), though that's being replaced by 2 x 128GB servers with 8 cores with HT. Web servers, they're not high spec, 8GB RAM max. The web server has a RAID config, as does the SQL server. SQL snapshots are taken every 30 minutes. Downtime of about 5 minutes can result in thousands of GBP lost, if not more.