Is this the final VB5 theme?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    vBulletin 5 looks like it does currently because the majority of customers complained that it originally looked too differently from vBulletin 4 and their customers would complain. When you're making software for thousands of customers and millions of end users, there has to be a point where you simply allow customers to customize it beyond a set default.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by TopFloorDjs
    I'd love to get the thread display options and posting permissions in the footer like that. Unfortunately on the download style it doesn't have this ☹
    Those are mockups made for vBulletin 4 over a decade ago.

Leave a comment:

• decafdev
    replied
    I'd love to get the thread display options and posting permissions in the footer like that. Unfortunately on the download style it doesn't have this ☹

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    Originally posted by findingpeace
    User Feldon23 has done some amazing mockups - I hope the VB staff considers these. It's like getting free design help - and looks incredible!!
    And here's another one from Feldon23. What do other users think? Better or worse than the current theme? To me, it is infinitely more attractive and engaging.
    Originally posted by IcEWoLF
    Man, those mockups would definitely sell a software. I hope vB can incorporate threads/views like he has above, it looks super neat!
    I didn't create these mockups. The irony is, they were created by a former IB/vBulletin employee. She had the clear vision to create a style that had personality, visual weight, ease of use, great emotional signature, and yet still strongly identify with the vBulletin brand. Her style was dumped in favor of the insipid sea of white and grey boxes we are facing now.
    Originally posted by acwatts
    it's the most bland looking forum software I ever came across.
    vB5 is the stylistic tour-de-force of Vanilla combined with the expediency and ease of navigation of phpMyAdmin post-AJAX.[/sarcasm]

Leave a comment:

• Octavius
    replied
    I like sheldon's mockups but I prefer the navigation menu of the default theme. It's large and easier to click on from a mobile device.

Leave a comment:

• GamerPerfection
    replied
    The theme on here is fine, it's what you do with your own theme that should be important.

Leave a comment:

• hornstar6969
    commented on 's reply
    Not really odd if you think about it.

• Mark.B
    commented on 's reply
    Interesting, that was a clean install of the RC.

It can be fixed in the site manager. No big issue. Odd that they are showing though.

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    There are permissions on who sees what links there. Seems his haven't been set properly. Probably from a bug in an early beta that has been fixed but may have carried over in his installation.

• 14DH01
    replied
    hello,
    It is normal to see links admin control panel and moderator? they give way

On "vbulletin. Com" they are not visible. Is a parameter in "lacp"!?

Leave a comment:

• findingpeace
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Wayne,

That is actually a great point - thanks for explaining this. You're right, past versions have actually been difficult to skin, even though they are very attractive out of the box. My personal favorite is the VB4 default, but I know I'm alone in that

I'm going to do a sample install of VB5 tonight and try customizing the style based on my current VB4 modifications

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    The great thing about vBulletin is that people can change the style to suit their needs. We need a more generic default style to suit a lot of needs. We do plan some improvements though and they will be put into place over time. vB5 actually relies on CSS more than previous versions so making changes is as easy as editing the CSS.

• findingpeace
    commented on 's reply
    Edit: Nevermind. I don't feel like getting into this.

• The Guy
    commented on 's reply
    Hey Mark, just looked at it. Looks nice, but I saw a post on there you might want too... well moderate anyways... http://www.talknewsuk.com/forum/foru...rry-but#post57

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by DeltaHawk5
    Originally posted by Mark.B
    Originally posted by acwatts
    Originally posted by Mark.B
    The syle is certainly final - and very nice it is too, actually - however there are some issues which will be tweaked and improved as time goes on.
    Ok, I think I will pass then - thank you
    Same here, it's the most bland looking forum software I ever came across.
    Honestly, I find it a little bit unfair for the VB team to say "and very nice it is", when apparently none of their paying customers actually agree with them. There's no shame in admitting a mistake, and this theme seems to be a huge mistake.
    Why is it "unfair" for me to give my opinion on the style? I rather like it. The shade of blue could be brighter in places. I made it green on my demo site and I like it. http://www.talknewsuk.com/forum
    I can't even see your forum, the site is taking years to load. I wonder why. Either way, I agree with the mock ups being a superior design.
    You may have local issues there. My site loads pretty fast for most people, though obviously not as fast as would be ideal.

Leave a comment: