Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • findingpeace
    • Jan 2013

Is this the final VB5 theme?

I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually really like VB5.

But I'm wondering, is this the final theme? It feels very bare, almost depressing. Something about it feels very non-engaging, where all of the past main styles made me feel addicted to the community.

The grey fuzzy static background just doesn't feel right. There is just so much white space, contrasted with that extremely dark turquoise (almost black). There are so many random different shades of dark blue, green, vibrant blue, snow blue, shiny blue, silver - it seems really disjointed.

I hope there will be a theme upgrade - I think this might make the whole release much more exciting!

Thanks
  • findingpeace
    • Jan 2013

User Feldon23 has done some amazing mockups - I hope the VB staff considers these. It's like getting free design help - and looks incredible!!

Comment

• findingpeace
      • Jan 2013

And here's another one from Feldon23. What do other users think? Better or worse than the current theme? To me, it is infinitely more attractive and engaging.

Comment

• IcEWoLF
        • Jul 2008
        • 4.1.x

Man, those mockups would definitely sell a software.
        I hope vB can incorporate threads/views like he has above, it looks super neat!
        The 47 Ronin Gaming - www.47r-squad.com

Comment

• findingpeace
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by IcEWoLF
          Man, those mockups would definitely sell a software. I hope vB can incorporate threads/views like he has above, it looks super neat!
          Agreed IcEWoLF! If I were them, I'd hire this guy - my initial reaction was WOW, I would buy this. And I think a lot of others would feel the same way too.

There are a lot of other issues to work through, I know - but theme is a great way to get people excited fast

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

The syle is certainly final - and very nice it is too, actually - however there are some issues which will be tweaked and improved as time goes on.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• findingpeace
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Mark.B
              The syle is certainly final - and very nice it is too, actually - however there are some issues which will be tweaked and improved as time goes on.
              Ok, I think I will pass then - thank you

Comment

• acwatts
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by findingpeace
                Same here, it's the most bland looking forum software I ever came across.

Comment

• findingpeace
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by acwatts
                  Honestly, I find it a little bit unfair for the VB team to say "and very nice it is", when apparently none of their paying customers actually agree with them. There's no shame in admitting a mistake, and this theme seems to be a huge mistake.

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

Honestly, I find it a little bit unfair for the VB team to say "and very nice it is", when apparently none of their paying customers actually agree with them. There's no shame in admitting a mistake, and this theme seems to be a huge mistake.
                    Why is it "unfair" for me to give my opinion on the style?

I rather like it. The shade of blue could be brighter in places. I made it green on my demo site and I like it.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------

Comment

• findingpeace
                    • Jan 2013

Why is it "unfair" for me to give my opinion on the style? I rather like it. The shade of blue could be brighter in places. I made it green on my demo site and I like it. http://www.talknewsuk.com/forum
                    Sorry Mark, that is a good point

Comment

• acwatts
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Why is it "unfair" for me to give my opinion on the style? I rather like it. The shade of blue could be brighter in places. I made it green on my demo site and I like it. http://www.talknewsuk.com/forum
                      That's really nice, green, pink, and off white. lol Got to be the worst colour combination ever. (who stole the smilies here)

Comment

• DeltaHawk5
                        • Sep 2012

I can't even see your forum, the site is taking years to load. I wonder why.

Either way, I agree with the mock ups being a superior design.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          Wayne Luke commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The great thing about vBulletin is that people can change the style to suit their needs. We need a more generic default style to suit a lot of needs. We do plan some improvements though and they will be put into place over time. vB5 actually relies on CSS more than previous versions so making changes is as easy as editing the CSS.

• findingpeace
                          findingpeace commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi Wayne,

That is actually a great point - thanks for explaining this. You're right, past versions have actually been difficult to skin, even though they are very attractive out of the box. My personal favorite is the VB4 default, but I know I'm alone in that

I'm going to do a sample install of VB5 tonight and try customizing the style based on my current VB4 modifications
                      • alfanexus
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 5.5.x

I think it is a great style. But its just a style and can easily be modified or replaced by something else so it matches the specific needs of every one.

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by DeltaHawk5
                          I can't even see your forum, the site is taking years to load. I wonder why. Either way, I agree with the mock ups being a superior design.
                          You may have local issues there. My site loads pretty fast for most people, though obviously not as fast as would be ideal.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------

Comment