Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lostincable
    • Mar 2009

Page Number & Indexing

Hi all, just wanted to ask with the page numbering on threads we currently only get one URL to view an entire thread and each page cannot be accessed individually.

So two questions -

1) How will search bots interpret that and will they be able to index an entire thread or only parts of it?

2) Will page numbers be added later on or is it the way it is with the new VB5 that can not navigate to a certain page?

Cheers!
  • Ingenious
    • Mar 2008
    • 3.8.x

I noticed that too, and the last post info has also gone from the main index. I wonder if this is just a technical problem?
    Fireworks

Comment

• lostincable
      • Mar 2009

I just test this out by search in Google on the following search term which is located on page 2 of a thread -

Code:
      Bickering isn't going to change anything! site:vbulletin.com
      It picks it up in Google with the following results -

1) The first results in the search lands you on the first page even though the search term is on page 2

2) The second link lands you on page 2 and I notice it has found a page id -

Code:
      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-5-connect/vbulletin-5-connect-beta-feedback/427033-vb5-isn-t-that-good?p=3943649
      I tried a few other search terms and it would seem that it can index what's on pages past page 1 but it is not always able to land you on that page as it can't always find a page id.

Wondering how Google would treat this?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by lostincable
        Hi all, just wanted to ask with the page numbering on threads we currently only get one URL to view an entire thread and each page cannot be accessed individually. So two questions - 1) How will search bots interpret that and will they be able to index an entire thread or only parts of it? 2) Will page numbers be added later on or is it the way it is with the new VB5 that can not navigate to a certain page? Cheers!
        You can actually link directly to different pages. For example:

Obviously this is something we need to get into the URLs for better indexing. In an upcoming version we will be adding canonical next and prev information to the header as well for longer pages and indexing better.

Originally posted by Ingenious
        I noticed that too, and the last post info has also gone from the main index. I wonder if this is just a technical problem?
        I see this properly both logged in and as a guest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lastpostinfo.png
Views:	105
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	3943839
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• lostincable
          • Mar 2009

Geez that was fast Wayne!!!

That's good to know the links are there and really it just a matter of the code telling the search bots how to index the numbering system.

At least if people upgrade they can let users know how to get to different pages.

Comment

• deluge
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            I see this properly both logged in and as a guest.
            When I'm logged in, I don't see the last post info:

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

I can see the problem with the last post information. Seems to be related to the usergroup in you're in for some reason. I can see it for guests and registered users but not Licensed Members or Licensed Ticket Members. We have an open JIRA on this so I will make a comment there.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• deluge
                • Sep 2007

Also, when I'm opening forumhome page via this url: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum.php I see the main forum page and a lot of closed threads on the bottom:

Comment

• hornstar6969
                  hornstar6969 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah I got that yesterday too. It was odd.

• Wayne Luke
                  Wayne Luke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There is a bug where stickies bubble up to the parent.
              • BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

The stickies on the bottom was a known bug. It will be fixed, if it hasn't already.

Comment