Where can I access the version history of the mobile apps, and how can I be notified when new versions are released?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vbSuperfan
    • Jun 2019
    • 5.3.x

Where can I access the version history of the mobile apps, and how can I be notified when new versions are released?

I'm wondering where I can access the version history of the mobile apps, and how can I be notified when new versions are released from vBulletin?

What made me come think of this is that the bug tracker let's me select "2.1" as the most recent version, while my vBulletin Mobile Suite Android app, built just a few days ago, says version 2.0 internally.

Was a new version of the Android app released only during the last few days? And again, how can I be made aware of such new releases so that I can have an opportunity to re-build my vBulletin Mobile Suite apps and release the new version to my own members too?
  • vbSuperfan
    • Jun 2019
    • 5.3.x

Bump?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

We will make an announcement in the Announcements forum when a release is made. The current version of the Android App is 2.0. The next version will be 2.1. There is no historical list of all changes made since 1.0 available to the public.

Here is the announcement for Android 2.0 - https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...-0-for-android

We haven't finished iOS 2.0 yet.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• vbSuperfan
        • Jun 2019
        • 5.3.x

Ok, thanks, that's what I thought.

In that case, you are probably getting a lot of incorrectly version-marked reports in the tracker right now, since 2.0 isn't even selectable as a version for bug reports right now!

Only 2.1 (and 1.19 + 1.21) is currently selectable for any bug reports, as can be seen in this screenshot:

I'd really recommend correcting this, for your own sake.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

The version in the public tracker doesn't matter much to be honest. The issues are copied to an internal tracker and handled from there.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• vbSuperfan
            • Jun 2019
            • 5.3.x

No matter where the information about e.g. reported bugs in the public tracker are copied at a later point, I'd still argue that the version of the software where the reported bug in question is present is highly interesting and "mattering"?!

How can the dev team otherwise know in which version of the software that they should try to reproduce (and subsequently fix) the bug? I really cannot see how copying the bug report to a secondary system could magically add this information for them, from inside the head of the person making the report in the public tracker?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

They only work on one version at a time. We don't go back and patch older versions of the mobile suite software. It is easy enough to verify a bug.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• vbSuperfan
                • Jun 2019
                • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                We will make an announcement in the Announcements forum when a release is made.
                FYI, the new 2.0 version of the iOS app has been released now, without any notice in the "Announcements" forum.

Also, the other day, I got a notice from the bug tracker that a new version/build of the Android app had been released, where one of my reported issues (VBM-31) had been fixed, but there has been no sign of any notice in the "Announcements" forum of this either?!

So, it seems like these announcements for new releases of the mobile apps don't really work as you describe, and I therefore repeat my question:

As a Mobile Suite customer, how can I get notifications when new versions/builds are released?

This is really important, in order to be able to get out new and bug-fixed versions to my users as quickly as possible!

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Announcements are not generally made the moment something is released to the members area. A release announcement will be made in due course. The past few days have been a holiday for many in the US and release announcements won’t be made in holiday periods, as a rule.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

So since we pushed Mobile 2.0 for iOS to the Mobile Publisher, we have encountered one major bug that would have prevented your users from using if you had published it immediately on the iOS Store. It probably would have led to the rejection of your App to be honest. This bug didn't turn up in our own app or in testing. This is one of the reasons why the Mobile Apps often get soft releases where the announcement is made a few days later. It prevents headaches for our customers.

Since then we have fixed the bug and pushed those changes to the App and the Mobile Publisher. I just haven't had time to post the Release Announcement yet.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• vbSuperfan
                      • Jun 2019
                      • 5.3.x

So since we pushed Mobile 2.0 for iOS to the Mobile Publisher, we have encountered one major bug that would have prevented your users from using if you had published it immediately on the iOS Store. It probably would have led to the rejection of your App to be honest. This bug didn't turn up in our own app or in testing. This is one of the reasons why the Mobile Apps often get soft releases where the announcement is made a few days later. It prevents headaches for our customers.

Since then we have fixed the bug and pushed those changes to the App and the Mobile Publisher. I just haven't had time to post the Release Announcement yet.
                      Ok, I see. I actually built my iOS app yesterday (right before writing my previous message in this thread), and also submitted it to the App Store. Would that have been late enough to have this critical bug fix you talk about included in it, or will I have to rebuilt and re-submit it?

Also, that other Android app update that I mention above was said to be released in the bug tracker on the evening of July 2nd (here). Will you soon post an announcement about that too then you mean? I cannot seem to find any old announcements about minor updates/rebuilds/releases like this at all in the announcements forum?

Is there any way to see which "minor version"/"build number" my most recently built Mobile Suite apps have? I can only see higher-level versions like "2.0", "2.1" etc, but apparently you make multiple releases/builds per such "higher-level version" too, right? (again, I refer to that Android app update that you mention in the comments of this bug of mine in the tracker)

NOTE: I absolutely don't mean to complain or anything, all I want is just a reliable way to be notified of new updates/rebuilds/releases of the mobile apps, so that I can rebuilt my own apps based on them as soon as possible after their releases, in order to make sure my users get the bug fixes they want and deserve as fast as possible!

Comment

• vbSuperfan
                        • Jun 2019
                        • 5.3.x

The version number of the iOS app is now already bumped to 2.0.3, without any announcement or customer notification having been made, again...

I strongly suggest you add the possibility for customers to opt-in for notification emails that are sent as soon as a new minor (or major, of course) update is being made to the mobile apps like this.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

We will make an announcement every Major (i.e 2.0) and Minor (i.e. 2.1) release. The third number in the version (the 3 in your complaint) is the build number and it should increase every single time you build the apps. It will be different for every user depending on how often they build their apps.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• vbSuperfan
                            • Jun 2019
                            • 5.3.x

We will make an announcement every Major (i.e 2.0) and Minor (i.e. 2.1) release. The third number in the version (the 3 in your complaint) is the build number and it should increase every single time you build the apps. It will be different for every user depending on how often they build their apps.
                            Ok, I see, thanks for the info!

I'd suggest you reserve that third version number position for yourselves too though, for "hotfixes" or other more minor bugfixes, since you seem to lump together quite many bugs (and even features!) for each "minor" (2.x) update.

Otherwise, the lack of such a "really minor" version number position will inevitably result in more "stealth" updates like the one mentioned by your own dev team guys in this comment in the tracker, which is just confusing and bad for everyone.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...