X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailnet
    • Jan 2006
    • 3.5.x

Numerous Privacy Complaints about the Android App

Many of my members won't even install the App because it ask for so much relinquishment of what is considered to be private;

here's an actual complaint on my forum www.sailnet.com
    ~~~
    According to the permissions for this application it can:

- determine the phone number and serial number of my phone and who I'm calling
    - take pictures and videos with my camera and collect images my camera is seeing

Are these "features" for this app really necessary?? I won't install this app as it stands.

Does anyone else have feelings about this? Am I just being paranoid?
    ~~~~

why does the vbulletin andoid app require such privacy intrusion?
  • SteveLV702
    • Aug 2009

take pictures and videos <--- thats because you can take pictures with the app and upload to forums...........

not sure about phone number and serial number stuff...
    ------------------------------------------
    Steve
    DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

Comment

• alfanexus
      • Dec 2008
      • 5.5.x

Numerous Privacy Complaints about the Android App

Yes this is a BIG concern, The one with reading phone number, serial and who you have been caling, is the biggest problem becaurse there is no valid explanation for this. Many many users will not be using the app becaurse of this, which mean that investing in the mobile app is less attractive.

Comment

• Ace
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.2.X

Isn't the serial number permission related to serving ads?
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• jdj
          • Jan 2009
          • 5.1.x

You're not just being paranoid. Lots of our members also have privacy concerns. And I don't know where you are based but we are based in the Europe; under European privacy laws if you transmit personal data outside the EU without the user's permission you could face a hefty fine.

I haven't tried the android ap yet but presumably when the user signs up the terms and conditions are explicit....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...