Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CruisersConnect
    • Mar 2010

My Personal Thoughts On The Mobile Apps

I think it's great that vBulletin has finally released an extremely, extremely over due update for both Apple and Android apps. I really hope this trend continues as almost half of posts on our site now come from our mobile app and I believe having such apps available for our members is crucial in the development and longevity of a forum/site. Although I believe there is still and long way to go I'm glad to see something is at least being done now and I really hope vBulletin can continue to release more updates and even assign some more staff/developers to the mobile apps.

On a side note however I have purchased the branding free option for my vBulletin Forum suite and for the apps I don't believe it should say "Powered By vBulletin" or whatever it exactly says when the app loads. I think this is a major issue and I hope it gets addressed sooner rather than later.
  • SteveLV702
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by CruisersConnect
    On a side note however I have purchased the branding free option for my vBulletin Forum suite and for the apps I don't believe it should say "Powered By vBulletin" or whatever it exactly says when the app loads. I think this is a major issue and I hope it gets addressed sooner rather than later.

been in tracker for quiet a while
    ------------------------------------------
    Steve
    DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

Comment

• GHST
      • Dec 2006
      • 4.1.x

My Personal Thoughts On The Mobile Apps

Is there a way to see how many posts are from mobile devices or are you just eyeballing it?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

The new team are cracking on with the Bug reports and will be pushing out things faster. For info, I've put links to current builds at the top of this forum so you can keep up to date with progress on these:

Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• CruisersConnect
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by SteveLV702
          http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBI-620

been in tracker for quiet a while
          Hopefully we can gather some more support for this issue.

Originally posted by GHST
          Is there a way to see how many posts are from mobile devices or are you just eyeballing it?
          Not to my knowledge.

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
          The new team are cracking on with the Bug reports and will be pushing out things faster. For info, I've put links to current builds at the top of this forum so you can keep up to date with progress on these:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...e-Mobile-Suite
          Trevor, thank you for the link. I'm looking forward to the next update. According to the Tracker is should be any day now. Any inside knowledge of when maybe? Thanks!

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

Trevor, thank you for the link. I'm looking forward to the next update. According to the Tracker is should be any day now. Any inside knowledge of when maybe? Thanks!
            Soon
            Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• jdj
              • Jan 2009
              • 5.1.x

I have purchased the branding free option for my vBulletin Forum suite and for the apps I don't believe it should say "Powered By vBulletin" or whatever it exactly says when the app loads. I think this is a major issue and I hope it gets addressed sooner rather than later.
              Whilst I am similarly interested in access via mobile, that's why I haven't bought the mobile suite yet; that and concerns about the security of user's personal data.

(PS: I also bought the branding-free option and I'm running vBulletin 4.1.11: The reason I'm looking at mobile again at the moment is that 4.1.11 comes with a mobile style in it).
              Last edited by jdj; Wed 14 Mar '12, 4:09am.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

What concerns about the users personal data?

Comment

• jdj
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                  What concerns about the users personal data?
                  We are concerned about our user's personal data generally; partly because legally we have to be in the United Kingdom, and Europe, and partly because so many people now seem to be able to get hold of our personal data without our permission.

On the specifics of the Android ap, there was an article I read recently in a UK magazine that highlighted the amount of personal data that aps were able to harvest from users. This included personal data like telephone numbers, contacts etc.

The difficulty you face when using sites like e.g. Facebook is that you can take steps to protect your personal data, and only share the bits of information you want to share, but sometimes the set up makes it easy for the site to harvest a lot of your information before you realise you've done it. We've had several people now who've apologised to us because they clicked a button on Facebook without realising that it was going to upload all their contact information from Microsoft Outlook, including our contact details. Some aps are able to harvest a lot of personal details; even if they currently don't have the operational capability to do it, sometimes the user agreements you sign up to permit the harvesting of lots of other bits of personal information so in theory an operator could go and harvest that data at a later date when the operational capability became available without seeking further permission.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...