Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clubvr4
    • Aug 2010

vbulletin vs 3rd party

Currently browsing the forum using the iPhone app, i am quite disappointed if I'm truthfull, yesterday I purchased the mobile suite, then found out I need to get developer access on apple. Thought right ok, something I want for my users so I'll go ahead...

Then I find out I need a mac! Furious wasn't the word! I understand it's in the terms and conditions but vb staff really need to make us the click happy customer much more aware...

Ok so I calmed down a bit installed the vbulletin app to check it out and was gobsmacked at how primitive it is . No picture uploads in threads - no push notifications, images / videos don't resize, infact there are Loads of little niggles.

I very much doubt I can convinced my mobile users that are using tapatalk to pull away from that and onto this.

Even writing this message I have a B and A and a smilie face over the text I'm writing, Infact I've had to rewrite this sentence because I couldn't get to the end of the sentence after correcting a typo... ( I'm now writing this from notes!)

Don't get me started on the mobile style, no what's new, no way to get to messages? There are styles on the BB that out weight this tenfold,.

c'mon vbulletin this is your living, your bread and butter, why can't you compete, you should be THE market leaders...

I have to say, i am very disappointed, ive spent 300$ on something that cannot compete with tapatalk.

Pull your socks up!
    W W W . C L U B V R 4 . C O M
    Mitsubishi Galant & Legnum Owners Club
  • Tony
    • Feb 2001
    • 3.6.x

I'm currently using tapatalk too and have been wrestling with the idea of going with vb mobile suite as tappatalk is pricing user out of their apps or just me.

If you are currently with tapatalk then you should already have a developer account with apple because you need that with either company you go with. I was forced to use a mac myself with tapatalk. So they didn't make this info known either and didn't help with uploading it for me.

Honestly I think vb provided more info then tapatalk if you took the time to read through their articles and forum. I think both apps has their benefits and draw backs though. I would like to stay with tapatalk but they are so much more money. If they made theirs more automated like vb they could cut down on the time to make the app. I just don't understand why they say it takes them 3-5 hours of work to update the app?

Just consider my post as a rant, I'm not trying to bust your chops..

Comment

• clubvr4
      • Aug 2010

vbulletin vs 3rd party

Well, I don't actually manage my own tapatalk app, just using the generic one, do cost is purely the cost of the app.

I was hoping to bring something new/great to my users but it appears to be several steps backwards, not forgetting the huge dent in my wallet.
      W W W . C L U B V R 4 . C O M
      Mitsubishi Galant & Legnum Owners Club

Comment

• Huskermax
        • Mar 2010
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by clubvr4
        Currently browsing the forum using the iPhone app, i am quite disappointed if I'm truthfull, yesterday I purchased the mobile suite, then found out I need to get developer access on apple. Thought right ok, something I want for my users so I'll go ahead...

Then I find out I need a mac! Furious wasn't the word! I understand it's in the terms and conditions but vb staff really need to make us the click happy customer much more aware...
        Yes, I would agree this could be a little easier to get this info on the purchase pages. I did not see it until I read the fine print on the check out page.

I do not have a mac either so I use an app submission service to handle the apple stuff. If you have a paid site like me it is easy to recover the cost of this.

You can check out

Ok so I calmed down a bit installed the vbulletin app to check it out and was gobsmacked at how primitive it is . No picture uploads in threads - no push notifications, images / videos don't resize, infact there are Loads of little niggles.
        I have not had an issue with pictures or images. Have not messed with videos yet. My guess is an app just can't do the same stuff a browser can so to expect it is a bit much. Could be wrong on that.

For push notifications see this request in the tracker. Vote for it.

Even writing this message I have a B and A and a smilie face over the text I'm writing, Infact I've had to rewrite this sentence because I couldn't get to the end of the sentence after correcting a typo... ( I'm now writing this from notes!)
        I submitted an improvement request for this. Vote for it.

Don't get me started on the mobile style, no what's new, no way to get to messages? There are styles on the BB that out weight this tenfold,.
        When you have to commit a lot of money and people to a project you are going to pick the one that is going to benifit you the most. That is making an app for the apple and android market. BB shot themselves in the foot when they did not jump on the app bandwagon. They are just starting to get on board. Android apps will work on the BB with some conversion tools on BB devolpers site. So you will be able to put the vb app on the new bb10 phones and tablets.

Not having an app for windows 7 phone is kind of a bummer, but the market share is low on it so that is why they are not doing an app for it. I think that is a mistake but I am not in charge. See this request for it.

I have to say, i am very disappointed, ive spent 300$ on something that cannot compete with tapatalk.

Pull your socks up!
        It competes with tapatalk on price. They are crazy expensive to get the same stuff you get with the vb app. It has just taken them longer to get stuff out. I am sure that is why tapatalk is pricey. They have a lot more people working on there stuff then vb does.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

I don't really think its completely fair to say tapatalk is free, because it is not. The cost of tapatalk (basic) is passed to your users who need to buy the app. Then tapatalk also will be getting usage data from you on some level. Their basic package is 800 per app, and their fancy package is 3600 per application. http://tapatalk.com/pricing.php

Now, I'm not saying tapatalk is not possibly worth the money, esp if your forum is targeting that segment of users, or that their product is not of quaility. Its just a bit unfair to say tapatalk is free, on any level. There are costs.

I can tell you, we're working on making the app better every day.

As a last point, the requirement of OSX, and An apple developer account, are not our requirements. We originally did not want to go that path. But apple didn't like that. So there wasn't much we could do.

Comment

• Huskermax
            • Mar 2010
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
            I don't really think its completely fair to say tapatalk is free, because it is not. The cost of tapatalk (basic) is passed to your users who need to buy the app. Then tapatalk also will be getting usage data from you on some level. Their basic package is 800 per app, and their fancy package is 3600 per application. http://tapatalk.com/pricing.php

Now, I'm not saying tapatalk is not possibly worth the money, esp if your forum is targeting that segment of users, or that their product is not of quaility. Its just a bit unfair to say tapatalk is free, on any level. There are costs.

I can tell you, we're working on making the app better every day.

As a last point, the requirement of OSX, and An apple developer account, are not our requirements. We originally did not want to go that path. But apple didn't like that. So there wasn't much we could do.
            Yes, tapatalk is not free on any level.

Not to be morbid or anything but maybe your last point will change with the death of Steve Jobs. They way I look at it is it brings more business in to apple and the party that wants to do it. In this case VB. As in VB will make and upload the apps to the stores for a fee. Apple can still make money on the deal and cause a lot less stress on people like me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...