Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ComputerModding
    • Sep 2007

Licence expiration question

In my members area like most it has a expiration date for both the mobile App and the Facebook App for 12 months after purchase.

BUT

I have just upgraded one of my clients forums to 4.0 publishing suit with both the mobile and facebook app's and there is no expiration date listed for the apps!

Does this mean that VB will be extending all licences and aborting the yearly update fee until all the bugs have gone??
  • Loco.M
    • Mar 2005
    • 3.5.x

good question
    -- Web Developer for hire
    ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• ComputerModding
      • Sep 2007

Also in the sales pitch it says
      Additional Requirements & Instructions

vBulletin Mobile Publisher will provide easy to use customization tools and highly detailed instructions for the following requirements:

Apple Developer Account & Mac Computer and Android Marketplace Account
      This is incorrect and would like to know if VB would be refunding the price of a operating system upgrade to my client? a Mac Computer is not all that is needed you also need to be on at least OSX Snow Leopard which is a £26 upgrade if you are on Leopard or even more if you are on a lower version of OSX.

There is also no mention of a yearly fee when you add the Facebook app to your cart when purchasing.

This is something that needs to be addresses ASAP, in The UK there are laws against this type of selling without fully disclosing all requirements of a product.

Also when you add the Facebook app to your cart it does not say anything about SSL certificate's which again is yet another hidden cost we are not told about.

And the instructions are not easy to follow and they are also at points incorrect, especially when it comes to signing your app with a certificate! it says
      Write down your company name, which appears after “Provisioning Portal” in the directly above the distribution tab. In the example screenshot from step 5, the company name is “Internet Brands, Inc”. It is case-sensitive.
      A company name does not appear if you have signed up for a apple developers account as a individual.

Comment

• Loco.M
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by ComputerModding
        There is also no mention of a yearly fee when you add the Facebook app to your cart when purchasing.
        that's what the CEO calls "marketing"

Comment

• Ace
          • Apr 2004
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by ComputerModding
          This is incorrect and would like to know if VB would be refunding the price of a operating system upgrade to my client? a Mac Computer is not all that is needed you also need to be on at least OSX Snow Leopard which is a £26 upgrade if you are on Leopard or even more if you are on a lower version of OSX.

This is something that needs to be addresses ASAP, in The UK there are laws against this type of selling without fully disclosing all requirements of a product.

Also when you add the Facebook app to your cart it does not say anything about SSL certificate's which again is yet another hidden cost we are not told about.
          The HTTPS requirement for the FB app is clearly spelled out here.
          As required by Facebook for all their apps, your vBulletin Facebook App must be hosted via HTTPS enabled / secure URL
          If it wasn't there when you purchased, it will be due to the fact that FB enacted that rule after the vB FB App went on sale.

There is no yearly fee for the FB app.

Maybe they will add the Snow Leopard requirement, personally, I did a bit of research and found that out in 5 minutes. (Google "Apple Developer requirements". https://developer.apple.com/support/...ev-center.html)
          My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Ace
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Loco.M
            that's what the CEO calls "marketing"
            Well, it would hardly be a great idea to add mention of a fee when there isn't one..
            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Loco.M
              • Mar 2005
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Ace
              Well, it would hardly be a great idea to add mention of a fee when there isn't one..
              ya.. I mean why should vbulletin let their customers know exactly what they'll be paying?!?!
              let's just keep it hidden till it's to late, then we can blast new members telling them they should of searched first

good idea

Comment

• Ace
                • Apr 2004
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Loco.M
                ya.. I mean why should vbulletin let their customers know exactly what they'll be paying?!?!
                let's just keep it hidden till it's to late, then we can blast new members telling them they should of searched first

good idea
                Expiry date = Never. It doesn't expire and doesn't require a renewal.

In what world do those facts add up to "should have added a renewal price, you evil, money-grabbing, lawsuit-starting fiends!"?

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

What more do we need to add?

Comment

• Ace
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                    http://screencast.com/t/pksQ7YLy

What more do we need to add?
                    <BLINK> and <MARQUEE> across the page.

Comment

• Loco.M
                      • Mar 2005
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Ace
                      Expiry date = Never. It doesn't expire and doesn't require a renewal.

In what world do those facts add up to "should have added a renewal price, you evil, money-grabbing, lawsuit-starting fiends!"?
                      Ace, I like you, we're friends but your loyalty to vBulletin is making your statements cloudy
                      I guess everyone complaining about "hidden charges" or the "buggy gold release", is "in the wrong" and must just be overlooking these changes.

By all means vb, carry on, you're doing a great job

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

How are the charges hidden?

Comment

• Loco.M
                          • Mar 2005
                          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                          How are the charges hidden?
                          ask the OP?

In my members area like most it has a expiration date for both the mobile App and the Facebook App for 12 months after purchase.

BUT

I have just upgraded one of my clients forums to 4.0 publishing suit with both the mobile and facebook app's and there is no expiration date listed for the apps!

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Start a support ticket if something seems a miss on your account.

Comment

• plarkin
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 3.5.x

I'm not a vBulletin apologist or anything, but I bought the mobile suite as soon as it was released and I was well aware of what I needed and what it was going to cost me in additional licensing/registration/hardware. It was made clear that I needed an Apple Developer account, so I went to the Apple Developer page and read the requirements for their accounts, set one up, and then proceeded on with vBulletin.

It's not reasonable to expect vBulletin to provide exact pricing details for things like developer programs and operating system updates nor their responsibility to make sure you read the terms and conditions and requirements to participate in those programs.

There is some level of due diligence that needs to be performed by the purchaser PRIOR to forking over money for a product.

With all that being said; I'm really frustrated with the whole mobile suite, the patch release cycle, and the 1 year anniversary date rapidly approaching. I feel as though I was made to look foolish by putting this app out there branded with my name. My users see this as ME putting out a shoddy product for them to use.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...