• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orangeade
    • Aug 2011
    • 4.2.X

Some questions about Mobile Suite

Hi, I have a few (probably basic) questions:

1) If I buy one licence do I get apps for both iPhone and Android? I don't need to buy a licence for each do I?

2) Where can I read the instructions for getting the apps launched? I want to know what I'm getting into.

3) Anyone know a 3rd party who can do everything for me if necessary?

4) Are there any other associated costs with launching Android / iPhone apps (e.g. emulator software/submission costs etc).

5) Is it necessary to pay anything to be a member of the Apple Developer program or any other fees that might catch me by surprise?

6) Is Mobile Suite any good, or am I better off with Tapatalk etc?

7) I see lots of people complaining about aspects of Mobile Suite here. When's the next software upgrade going to be ready? Should I wait for that?

8) I don't actually own an iPhone or Android Phone. Am I at a big disadvantage here?

Any help gratefully appreciated.
    My vBulletin forum. Check it out!
    Apps: iPhone/iPad, Android
  • SteveLV702
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by licensinglinks
    1) If I buy one licence do I get apps for both iPhone and Android? I don't need to buy a licence for each do I?
    one mobile suite license includes iphone and android apps and when/if they launch apps for any other device those will be included too.

1)2) Where can I read the instructions for getting the apps launched? I want to know what I'm getting into.
    You get them after you purchase the suite once i get near a computer ill try to send you a copy

1)3) Anyone know a 3rd party who can do everything for me if necessary?
    Yes........ But cant advertise them here

1)4) Are there any other associated costs with launching Android / iPhone apps (e.g. emulator software/submission costs etc).
    Apple Developer Account = $99/yr
    Android Developer Account = $25
    Mac Computer = alot of money

1)5) Is it necessary to pay anything to be a member of the Apple Developer program or any other fees that might catch me by surprise?
    Apple Developer Account = $99/yr
    Android Developer Account = $25

1)6) Is Mobile Suite any good, or am I better off with Tapatalk etc?
    Everyone has their own opinion and yes alot of bugs but all my members on all my sites seem to like it only complaint I have received is the null pm issue but its said that will be fixed in next version of vb

1)7) I see lots of people complaining about aspects of Mobile Suite here. When's the next software upgrade going to be ready? Should I wait for that?
    Nobody knows but vb staff and they dont tell

1)8) I don't actually own an iPhone or Android Phone. Am I at a big disadvantage here?
    No you wont be able to test on actual hardware but thats what simulators are for..
    ------------------------------------------
    Steve
    DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

Comment

• orangeade
      • Aug 2011
      • 4.2.X

Thanks for the help - appreciated.

Regarding the simulators, do they work OK after the apps are up-and-running? Could I use them to add my own posts/moderate/keep an eye out for bugs if I want to?

Comment

• orangeade
        • Aug 2011
        • 4.2.X

One other question: Is there a charge for submitting the apps to the Android/iPhone shops, or is it free if I have a developer account?

Comment

• SteveLV702
          • Aug 2009

Thanks for the help - appreciated.

Regarding the simulators, do they work OK after the apps are up-and-running? Could I use them to add my own posts/moderate/keep an eye out for bugs if I want to?
          Shouldn't be a problem I don't really know as I have a iPhone & Android phone so I've never used the Simulator.... But then I have a question if your at a computer to use the simulator why use the simulator to post/moderate/keep a eye when can just open your web browser and visit your site and do it there?

One other question: Is there a charge for submitting the apps to the Android/iPhone shops, or is it free if I have a developer account?
          If you have a developer account, and a Mac and submitting yourself then only cost is the $199 for the mobile suite and then the $99/$25 for the Developer Accounts and no no submission fee...

But if you have to hire someone to do it for you obviously then there is a fee....

Steve

Comment

• orangeade
            • Aug 2011
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by SteveLV702
            Shouldn't be a problem I don't really know as I have a iPhone & Android phone so I've never used the Simulator.... But then I have a question if your at a computer to use the simulator why use the simulator to post/moderate/keep a eye when can just open your web browser and visit your site and do it there?
            I just want the opportunity to view the app as others would (to see if there's any bugs or problems).

Comment

• orangeade
              • Aug 2011
              • 4.2.X

Some more questions:
              1. Do I have to keep renewing my Apple Developer Account @ $99/yr just to keep my app in their store? I hope not!!!
              2. What happens if I want to change the icon for my app (I.E if I want to rebrand it slightly?) Do I have to resubmit or pay more money?
              3. Is there a way of knowing how many people have downloaded or are using the app?
              4. Has Mobile Suite been upgraded recently? How do I know what version is current?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

1. Your apps will be removed from the store if you don't renew - https://developer.apple.com/support/...-renewals.html

2. You will need to rebuild and resubmit - it won't cost anything extra

3. iTunes Connect has statistics on downloads

4. 1.2 will be released shortly to customers and 1.3 is well underway - see this sticky which will be updated as new releases are made:

Last edited by Trevor Hannant; Thu 22 Mar '12, 5:38am. Reason: Clarified answer 1
                Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• orangeade
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 4.2.X

Thanks for the responses. Just got the email about v1.2 so perfect timing for me

Couple more questions:
                  1. If I let my Apple Developer Account lapse does that mean the app will cease to exist on the phones of those who are already using it?
                  2. If I rebuild & resubmit with a rebranded app logo, do current users automatically see the new version?
                  3. Does Android give download stats?
                  4. Are there 3rd parties who can submit the apps so I don't need to buy a Developer Account? Any disadvantages of doing it this way?

Comment

• SteveLV702
                    • Aug 2009

Some questions about Mobile Suite

1) No anyone who has downloaded app already can keep using it it would just be removed from store so no new users

2) yes once it's Approved by Apple will be seen in App Store as a Update that user can download but won't just automatically download it.

3) Yes

4) there are submission services but still require you to have your own developer account because after 7-8 of similar apps apple will start rejecting new ones as spamming the store.
                    Steve

Comment

• orangeade
                      • Aug 2011
                      • 4.2.X

Me again with a few more questions! I have bought mobile suite now and I'm trying to set it up

1) Will the CMS articles show in the app?

2) Graphics: Do I need to apply the corner radius to the iPhone icon graphics or does it aplly it automatically? What about the Android icon?

3) Google Analytics: Should I just put it into the current website profile I have for my forum? Or should I create new ones for iphone and android?

Comment

• orangeade
                        • Aug 2011
                        • 4.2.X

I really want to submit my app today so if anyone could get back to me with answers to the following ASAP it would be greatly appreciated.

Me again with a few more questions! I have bought mobile suite now and I'm trying to set it up

1) Will the CMS articles show in the app?

2) Graphics: Do I need to apply the corner radius to the iPhone icon graphics or does it aplly it automatically? What about the Android icon?

3) Google Analytics: Should I just put it into the current website profile I have for my forum? Or should I create new ones for iphone and android?

Comment

• acwatts
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Articles and article sections are available in the app.

The menu has

Home

Forums

Articles

Notifications

My Profile

Friends

Photos

Comment

• SteveLV702
                            • Aug 2009

1) Yes Articles show in app

2) No don't need to apply the corner radius it will be done automatically...

3) Thats up to you how you wanna track........ I personally just use 1 for my site and apps..
                            Steve

Comment

• orangeade
                              • Aug 2011
                              • 4.2.X

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by SteveLV702
                              2) No don't need to apply the corner radius it will be done automatically...
                              Does Android also add the corner radius automatically?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...